[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Not sure if this is the right board. Did it ever occur to you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: 7380755.jpg (86 KB, 505x379) Image search: [Google]
7380755.jpg
86 KB, 505x379
Not sure if this is the right board.

Did it ever occur to you that people without a major in linguistics, that is 99.999% of all humans, don't actually talk, but simply repeat what others have said as the supposed talkers don't even know their language but just consciously and subconsciously copy & paste phrases they've heard elsewhere?
>>
English sucks. For less fortunate people mostly. For the upper class the entire point is emphasis.
>>
>>17099071
No, it's interesting to look at the world like that.
It puts most human utterances in a much more mundane perspective. I think I'm going to look at people like that from now on, including myself.
>>
I remember when I first started smoking weed.
>>
>>17099064

I'd make a joke about that being the only use of a linguistics degree, but I got a degree in theatre at a liberal arts college and have no room to talk.

Yeah, I've had that thought. Some are worse than others...there are other people out there capable of analyzing language outside of linguist majors.
>>
>>17099119
I actually quit weed very recently after smoking for years! Not sure if life is better now. Seems almost the same.
>>
>>17099064
No, ironically you defined how the Major in Linguistics works, not communication skills...
>>
It doesn't take a linguistics degree to communicate effectively or make a difference really

Western society has been pretty much reduced to a series of common memes, catchphrases and almost cartoonish personifications.

On another plane, 99.999% of peoples spiritual energies are either non-existent or severely restricted due to societal conditioning.
>>
>>17099175
>Western society has been pretty much reduced to a series of common memes, catchphrases and almost cartoonish personifications.
The idea of figuratively purchasing personality like a product has become too real. The saddening part is that you can live an entire life without realizing it
>>
You can think about Linguistics and the origin of language or the meaning behind specific words without majoring in it.
But yes its true that a very significant part of the population don't even consider it. There's a whole lot of things they don't consider.
>>
>>17099064
Has it ever occurred to you that all the languages west of Jerusalem read left to right and all the languages east of Jerusalem read right to left? So that no matter where you are, all languages point to Jerusalem.

Now some will say, "Wait, aren't some east asian languages read vertically?" Yes, but they read the columns from right to left.
>>
Part of the matrix is the language
That's why meditation is one of the keys to overcome it
>>
>>17099064
How many tenses in English do you think there is? As a native speaker, you might be inclined to think three - present, past, future. There's a lot more. Never occurred to me until I started studying Japanese.

You might think I'm an idiot but I think it's interesfing nonetheless.
>>
>>17099620
So my autocorrect lets "interestfing" past but insists that "persue" is used less frequently than "Perdue", whatever the fuck that is.

And "industs" instead of "insists", apparently.

How interestfing.
>>
>>17099623
> "Perdue", whatever the fuck that is.

Are you not American? Perdue University
>>
>>17099635
No, I'm Australian. Even so, it shouldn't outrank persue.
>>
>>17099635
>>17099720
Both of those words are spelled with a 'u'.
>>
>>17099620
>As a native speaker, you might be inclined to think three - present, past, future. There's a lot more. Never occurred to me until I started studying Japanese.

watching anime doesn't count as studying anon :/

but really, tell me about these tenses beyond past present future
>>
Did it ever occur to you that people without a major in computer science, that is 99.999% of all humans, don't actually compute, but simply click on buttons without having any idea of the immense amount of work being done behind the scenes?
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 529x278) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 529x278
>>17100471
I wish I could watch more anime, the only stuff I can really handle is entry-level stuff like Bebop and Eva. Not really a fan of Japanese humour, unfortunately. And it was a mandatory class at my high school, and it's my minor too. If you have any decent anime please tell me.

Also pic related about the tenses, this is the most extensive one I could find on Google. Weird that you do actually know about these, but don't really think about them, huh?
>>
>>17101131
>eva
>entry level
>>
What are words if not just primitive noises we put meaning to?
How can words be real if our ears aren't real?
>>
But linguistics majors didn't invent language.
>>
>>17101137
Don't get me wrong, I love it. I own an unopened PAL copy of the End of Evangelion, along with the shitty Rebuild and original series.
>>
>>17099064
fucking deep man...

and like, what if the color blue i see isn't the same as the color blue you see? like what if what you see as blue is actually red maaaannnnnnnn?
>>
File: 1413460510460.jpg (29 KB, 350x464) Image search: [Google]
1413460510460.jpg
29 KB, 350x464
Comments like this:
>>17101143
>How can words be real if our ears aren't real

Just memery. people can't think for themselves. regurgitating the same shit over and over

"look how funny/ironic I am.
please acknowledge me because my subconscious wants me to be noticed"
>>
>>17101276
Says he as he posts a variation of the popular Pepe meme.

I get your point but you're not exempt.
>>
>>17101276
It's hard to suppress the urge to meme when most of /x/ consists of retarded shitposts like OP
>>
File: 1437755328237.jpg (81 KB, 490x358) Image search: [Google]
1437755328237.jpg
81 KB, 490x358
>>17099064
it's all just a cutup
>>
>>17101301
Except OP actually had something to say, whereas you're just a 14 year old trying to be funny on the Internet.
>>
>>17101131
Serial Experiments Lain is mandatory viewing for Anonymous.
>>
>>17099250
>all languages point to Jerusalem
Assuming you're facing due north, which at any given time most of us aren't.

>>17101137
It's one of the first anime series most people watch, because it comes highly recommended (because it's pretty good and is arguably deep). And it does serve well to break people of the kiddie cartoon stereotype.

>>17101131
The word "decent" is vague. On the assumption you're interested in serious stuff (no harem, slapstick ninjas, or cute girls doing cute things) I'm going to point you to Ghost in the Shell and Paranoia Agent. Also, the movies Millennium Actress and Perfect Blue.
>>
>>17101744
I generally get shit for saying this, but yeah, I meant serious stuff. Nothing wrong with a little silliness (Eva's ridiculous, for example, but in a good way.) but I just can't get into little highschool girl shit.

>Ghost in the Shell
Bought this, Akira and Ninja Scroll in a collection for $3. I'm Aussie too, so it was a steal.

>Paranoia Agent, Millennium Actress, Perfect Blue
never heard of these, they look great. Thank you Anon.
>>
>>17101767
I meant the Ghost in the Shell series, not just the first movie. It's literary and political as much as it is action.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.