[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gene Editing Technology & I Am Legend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7
File: IAmLegend_EmmaThompson01.png (137 KB, 293x235) Image search: [Google]
IAmLegend_EmmaThompson01.png
137 KB, 293x235
Stumbled upon something weird the other day. Compare this news story from CBS to the opening scene from I Am Legend. The interview is very short but the similarities are creepy.

https://youtu.be/RK3TPRxsBHI?t=5m19s
(interview starts at 5:48)

https://youtu.be/B3xY6Ffy_wE
>>
Full interview here: https://youtu.be/zWpuxKeNSUw
>>
File: 1432821546709.jpg (65 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1432821546709.jpg
65 KB, 500x500
Interesting
>>
>>17082169
Just turned in a 50 page research paper on this. Trust me, you've got no idea.
>>
>>17083643
Snap, can you upload it somewhere? Id love to read it
>>
File: 1441094888205.jpg (47 KB, 439x480) Image search: [Google]
1441094888205.jpg
47 KB, 439x480
>krippin
>crispr
Coincidence? I think not
>illumicrispi
>>
>>17082169
>people worried about "designer babies"

Would that really be such a bad thing? It doesn't seem principally much different than some other things we do like plastic surgery, circumcision, gender reassignment, or prenatal tests for autism.

And, yeah, I read Brave New World so I'm acquainted with some dystopian ideas around it.
>>
>>17083889
Damn man I'd actually really like to give it to you because all that work and it's just going on the pile, but it'd take me days to remove all the personal bs. Lemme see what I can do.
>>
>>17084265
Also I'll add that I'm not exactly an expert, but I obviously learned A LOT and am happy to answer any questions. At the very least I could point you in the right direction. I'll pull up some of my sources and see if I can find some publicly available ones, if not maybe I could upload those somewhere without much issue.
>>
>>17084289

Even if you can't find a way to post the articles publicly or you just decide against it because of the risk, post the links anyway please. A fair few of us will have access.
>>
>>17084265
Ok, I went through it and it actually had very little identifying me, so here ya go hopefully the link works.
http://sabercathost.com/8Pg

It's not very tinfoil, I tried to stay objective. Feel free to yell at me about any of my fuck ups, because I chose a topic I'm passionate about and would love your input. I have another 100 pages or so of material that I didn't have time/room for, but it reads like a schitzo's diary.

Sorry for the multipost, I usually use private browsing and it doesn't let me edit/delete them unfortunately.
>>
>>17083960
I get it, but personally, it seems like a huge waste of time and effort. It's only going to lead to more assholes per capita.
>>
>>17084332
Yeah I was gonna upload all of my PDF's somewhere, but I just uploaded the paper and it's got like 3 pages of citations for you guys. Happy to discuss any of this, it's been like my life for the last 6 months. /sci/ isn't really that interested to.
>>
>>17084398

Thanks man, but it's password protected
>>
>>17084414
The password is dickbutts.
>>
>>17084455

Don't think that worked
>>
>>17084478
Try again.
>>
>>17084513

dickbutts?

I really can't get it to work man. Can someone verify i'm just retarded?
>>
>>17084538

It's not working, tried 3 times.
>>
>>17082181
>>17082169
we didn't even try to use meme magic this time wtf?
>>
File: image.jpg (362 KB, 803x931) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
362 KB, 803x931
>>17083643

I'm the person that was talking about graphene from the immortality thread that just got deleted for some strange reason.

The designer baby debate is a smokescreen to hide the fact that you can turn yourself and your friends into gods. Graphene is already used as an 'ink' to print bioscaffolding that cells can colonize. The craig venter institute has succeeded in filling a cell with an artificial genome. Graphene nanospheres can be produced by boiling graphite in sulfuric acid.

Timothy Leary spoke of the neurogenetic circuit - my psychosis was triggered by an article on kurzweilai about elongating telomeres. Suddenly, my world view included the possibility of immortality. I saw a black, strawberry-shaped being in my mind's eye with thousands of arms with weapons in their hands. The implication was that this being was going to kill off life on Earth, and replace us with it's progeny.

I was told that I would only be saved if I joined forces with this being. I knew in my bones that my clinging to the human form was an embarrassment - that I was forgoing true godhood for my human lusts. It felt good to find my true bonds to humanity.

On several occasions, anons have pointed me towards Harald Kautz Vella, who talks about black goo - graphene is either black or transparent. Life began with biogenic graphite, and Michael Harner speaks of black specks falling from the sky and creating life as a place to hide.

Here's the Wisdom Kings again.
>>
>>17084717
Found the RPfag
>>
>>17084414
Sorry never used that one before. Gimme a sec, got a lot going on with final week and what not.
>>
>>17084771

Yeah np man. What class was this paper for?
>>
>>17084777
Writing. I sort of went above and beyond for a bs gen-ed, but whatever I'll die happy with this being my only achievement.

See if this works. Been awhile since I had to host like that, makes me feel like a grandpa
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=29993808139443141065
>>
>>17084832

>download

Oh, it was all a ruse.
>>
>>17084842
I'd be happy to host it somewhere where you can just read it, just too lazy to find it. Feel free to point me in the direction of such a place.

My mind is very much elsewhere, I just happened to see this thread in passing and thought I'd poke my head in.
>>
>>17084880

Make a google document and copy and paste it in.

All you need to do is ctrl a and ctrl c.
>>
>>17084886
Try this. Didn't really wanna use google but whatever, have at it.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mf-oPUVsf0AEswi5t8dVozjTEqizLfGrd8bRLUhwElM/pub
>>
>>17084947

That works, thanks. Listening to the decline of MITD at the minute, will check it out later.
>>
>>17084961
Oh sheeit, thanks for reminding me. I can put off studying to listen to that trainwreck for a bit.
>>
>>17084717
I'm imagining this dude scribbling with pencils and snorting the "lead" (which is graphene) thinking its going to make him immortal lmao

>THE MEANING OF LIFE IS PENCILS, MOM, PENCILS! BUY ME MORE!
>>
>>17084717
How can a person trying to come off as so based in fact and science employ so little? I mean, I can sorta see that there might be something there, but... you're nuts, bro.
>>
>>17084832

Thanks for sharing the paper man; you might have a bitcoin miner on my system, but I trusted your download.

Anyway, just finished the paper, well done. To be honest, my favorite parts were Trevan dismissing the looming threat of bioterrorism and the whole amature scientist revitalization--I really think what we need is engaged, interested, intelligent, and responsible individuals learning about our environment and expanding the limits of our knowledge, and the school system sure isn't pushing that attitude. Color me excited for a potential 'biohacking' scientific renaissance (which would hopefully spill into other areas of amature study, too).

But I digress: you seem to think this is a good idea overall; do you think it was a meaningful line we crossed when we started manipulating DNA configuration as opposed to steering evolution? If cheap biopower became feasible, wouldn't it be suppressed like other alleged non-fossil-fuel power sources allegedly are?

And sorry to hear about your mom, anon.
>>
>>17085010

No, but I've done the graphene-on-tape trick and experimented with solvents to remove the graphene from the tape. I was delighted when the graphene proved insoluble - it meant that DMPU, which is a cyclic urea, could work with fluorinase impeded.

Speaking of which, fluorographene - 2D teflon - is the insulator in this biochemistry. Myelin, for instance, would be replaced with teflon. The skin would be covered in teflon, and erectile tissue would change the texture from unwettably smooth to something like shark skin.

But seriously;

>http://www.impactjournals.com/oncotarget/index.php?journal=oncotarget&page=article&op=view&path%5B%5D=3348
>Graphene oxide selectively targets cancer stem cells, across multiple tumor types: Implications for non-toxic cancer treatment, via “differentiation-based nano-therapy”

>>17085062

I can see myself from the outside, and can admit that. Even if this is all nonsense, at least I'm learning something that may pay off later.
>>
File: image.jpg (160 KB, 700x430) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
160 KB, 700x430
>>17084947
So what's the deal with the unrelated "Leavitt of “Pecking’s harem” paragraph? Still reading through the paper and still confused on why it's in there.
>>
>>17085647
Oh okay amateur scientists.
>>
>>17083960
To me it seems like basically doung what we've done to dog breeds but ona much more sophisticated scale
>>
>>17085312
>the whole amature scientist revitalization
Yeah I actually started the paper with the full intent that it be entirely focused on amateur scientists who no one pays attention to, the rest was sort of tangents that I went on because it was such a broad topic.

>Trevan dismissing the looming threat of bioterrorism
I was entirely surprised by how many people in the field don't think there's a threat. It's almost... comforting.

>I really think what we need is engaged, interested, intelligent, and responsible individuals learning about our environment and expanding the limits of our knowledge, and the school system sure isn't pushing that attitude.
That's basically what my paper turned in to, if I'm being honest. I fully support the whole biohacking deal, though. I mean... so much of our shit today can be attributed to absurdly amateur research.

>But I digress: you seem to think this is a good idea overall; do you think it was a meaningful line we crossed when we started manipulating DNA configuration as opposed to steering evolution?
I'm not really sure. Although my bias probably shows with what I decided to focus on, I tried to stay as objective as possible. Personally it frightens me that research like this is so easy to conduct, and yet when you break it down we know fuck-all about the consequences.

>If cheap biopower became feasible, wouldn't it be suppressed like other alleged non-fossil-fuel power sources allegedly are?
I'm not so sure. I've thought that stuff like that goes on for awhile now, but after researching all these science journals in depth I don't think it could be suppressed as easily as some /x/philes would have you believe. It's stepping stones. One researcher makes a little progress, then another comes and picks up his torch and so on. Many of them are seemingly unrelated, too. I'd really hate to be the guy who's entire job is suppressing this info.
>>
>>17085647
I have a special place in my heart for individuals like Leavitt. I originally wanted to focus the whole paper on people like her, but synthetic biology was calling my name and there was WAY more to write on that than all the poor saps who invented all our cool shit that we don't even care about.
>>
>>17085312
>>17085895
Also I thought I'd add that there was a quote I found regarding the Trevan bit that never made it into the paper, which seemed pretty good. Can't find the actual quote now, but it basically said that synthesized organisms were like DYEL nerds, and if you let them free it would be like they're suddenly facing all these gangsters who are packing major heat and have been "keepin it real" for billions of years.

Makes total sense to me, but the guy who said it didn't have a whole lot under his belt and I didn't feel comfortable using it. Came across as a glorified blogger.

Also thanks for entertaining my paper you guys, I put an inappropriate amount of work into it for such a petty course.
>>
>>17085923
Jeez... I feel like a tinfoil posting so many times, but I had one last fleeting thought before I went to sleep. There are a few American alphabet agencies that exist basically to make sure that OP's situation never happens. My paper touches on some ways they can be circumvented, but I was really quite surprised at how much stuff like this is regulated. I don't think the I am Legend stuff could happen under their current rules, at least in America/EU.

Not saying that they couldn't fuck up royally some other way, just saying that I don't think anyone could get away with what that interview is portraying above board.

>seen the movie ages ago
>loved it
>love it's predecessors
I think those movies are more about a single person's sacrifice for the continuation of the whole species, not the dangers of genetic research. If I'm understanding correctly [SPOILERS], in the books the main character is basically a gas station clerk who takes like 20 years to self-teach genetics from text books (unlike Smith who just already knew it and was a participant in the originating disease). That would speak volumes compared to movies like the 28 Days franchise.
>>
>>17083960
>make super duper person
>Hey dude I genetically had you modified to be awesome
>Cool dad and or mom person, That means I'm an alpha dick and you suck shit and I have none of your bad genes right? Reverse disowned.
>Wow son, you're such a little shit and clearly have no compassion for the weak and stupid and dont care for the happiness of others at all!
>>
>>17082181
I love how they think we're all so dumb that they shouldn't even bother to actually touch on the process involved.

Probably typical click-bait.
>science journal: hey cool we developed a process that makes it a bit easier
>CBS: ZOMG IDS HABBENANG
Mainstream media is a fucking joke. You can even see the interviewer very obviously trying to bait her into some shit. Half of the stuff that they're talking about isn't even what they think it is, they're associating this study with way too much.
>>
>>17086094
It'll start out as minor things, like curing vitamin deficiencies.
>>
>>17086179
wat abot my penis size
>>
File: tumblr_lrz9k9L3Mq1qhdn8jo1_400.jpg (153 KB, 400x556) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lrz9k9L3Mq1qhdn8jo1_400.jpg
153 KB, 400x556
>>17083918
Damn, I didn't even notice that.
>>
>>17084717
Very compelling.
>>
File: image.jpg (230 KB, 734x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
230 KB, 734x1024
>>17085923

>Can't find the actual quote now, but it basically said that synthesized organisms were like DYEL nerds, and if you let them free it would be like they're suddenly facing all these gangsters who are packing major heat and have been "keepin it real" for billions of years

The big thing is that synthetic organisms could have a biochemistry so different from anything else, that they couldn't be infected by anything natural. And anything synthetic that could get them would be a biohazard itself.

What could survive 200C temperatures, save for a cell with a silica shell? Graphene is immune to most acids, and if bonded to hydrogen or fluorine is immune to bases by definition.

Microorganisms use the extracellular matrix to adhere to rocks and other surfaces - graphene and fluorine make most surfaces the weakest link. Biogenic teflon and graphene would produce a body tougher than kevlar.

The only cultural motif that can express the differerence in power is that of divinity, with flaming Buddha's and Buddhasattva's being the most accurate depiction.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.