[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can a human mind comprehend any and all physical "information"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: goat.jpg (36 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
goat.jpg
36 KB, 480x360
Can a human mind comprehend any and all physical "information" that any other civilization can comprehend and discover in the entirety of spacetime?

Sorry if that sounds confusing. For example a cat can't comprehend the idea of what a fridge is. And it would be impossible to try to explain it to the cat. But because of conscience we can obviously understand what a fridge is. But are there higher levels of intelligence that limits what we can discover?

Mr. Ray Kurzweil says that after the singularity we will be able to increase are intelligence a million times over. He then says using this intelligence we will be able to create new paradigms in the same way we created Science and Arts after we attained the ability of language.

I understand the fallacy in asking for an example of an incomprehensible paradigm but I mean other than arts and sciences what other things could the universe possibly allow us to experience?
>>
File: squeakerinthefridge-768x1024.jpg (137 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
squeakerinthefridge-768x1024.jpg
137 KB, 768x1024
That you have been inside the fridge this whole time.
>>
>>17054056

In terms of the human experience, I don't believe anyone will be able to answer that.

In terms of scientific observation with improved technology, the list is enormous. Finding a way to actually explain the concepts in quantum mechanics for example. We know light can be both a particle and a wave but we have no idea why.

Once you start hitting that level of physics there are so, so many things that are "this is what it does. don't ask why, we don't know."
>>
>>17054056
Any? Yes.
All? Probably not.

It's as I posted xhsdflkjasd;flkjaef;lk and proclaimed it to be some sort of mathematical proof of time travel. Fellow anons would call me a shitposter and not understand it.
>>
>>17054086

Right but all the third graders publishing that 1+1=3 just get ignored as irrelevant.
>>
>>17054056
Probably to a degree. It depends on what the other civilizations are like (lets not open that can of worms).

Whatever their differences is likely that even two extremely different alien species could devise a method to communicate assuming that both are intelligent.

But one quickly sees problems with translating more personal 'human' concepts which might have no parallel in the 'alien' culture. An example of this might be explaining love to a species which reproduces asexually.
>>
>>17054217
love is a complex and socially integrated adaption to the benefits of group survival over pure individual welfare, it is our current pinnacle of the development of pack mentality

that if one suffers, both/all suffer at least in pantomime, even a pantomime they might sincerely believe were genuine emotion, to retain functional solidarity of the whole

that if one is neglected then all in the group are being neglected

granted, that last line demonstrates we haven't achieve a unity with the ideal of altruism and love, but it underscores the mechanical functions and necessities of sympathy and empathy, not to mention highlighting the unique advantages and disadvantages, that is absolute dangers, of being a socio/psychopath and having the ability to be selectively or completely immune to that instinct of solidarity

but then I'm a 'half-path' so it's easier to be immersed in the feeling and still distant enough from it to put away the emotional underpinnings gripping at my thought processes and allow me to try and explain such a powerful thing objectively
>>
>>17054056
Please make this thread on /sci/
Talking about scientific theory is pointless here where everyone thinks anthropomorphic goats run around and stare at people
>>
>>17054056
>For example a cat can't comprehend the idea of what a fridge is.
Tell that to my cat.
So yeah, you have a point, but it won't be that different(atomism is known since ancient India, for example. No idea of what we know is too unprecedented)
>>
>>17054056
We won't be able to recognise that which we cannot comprehend until we are able.
>>
>>17054056
My cat sure knew where icecream came from ;^)
>>
>>17054056
try say that to me irl m8 and not online and see what happens ya cheeky cunt
>>
>>17054543
your mom's an anthropomorphic goat #lol #rekt #tlid #swag #yolo #partytilidrop #winning #VIProom #foreveryoung #holla
>>
The obvious answer to your first question is no, the human mind as we know it cannot comprehend everything. We haven't advanced to that level. Maybe one day in the distant future once we've "evolved" past this point; at which time we may not be called or considered human.

As to your last question? Who knows. I'm just a cat and I don't understand the meaning or use of a fridge.
>>
Honestly, as smart as we may be, we still half to consider that half of us at a world scale are pretty much retarded, or functional but unable to have deep thoughts.

Even then, the smart half of mankind can't have an ego so inflated to as to think that the information of the whole universe fits inside our brains. We still can't even do basic shit like long term survival, after all. Our hardware isn't THAT good.

So, where does this leave us?
We either evolve more to become better, or use technology to aid our development. That is to say, we either evolve through nature or through technology - or both.

Fucking magnets, how do they work?
>>
the main difference with us and other animals is that we give an enourmous amount of information from older to newer generations.
the knowledge of which plants were bad or good, which animals to hunt and how to hunt them.
this became more sophisticated, with more and more people of a large group being dedicated to maintaining knowledge through art, and then even that form specialized itself by becoming solely the information itself: written language.

In a natural environment, an animal might learn from their parents, but the knowledge is not expanded upon, instead being altered after every generation to fit it's environment. don't do this, do that, etc.
We, on the other hand, have collected all that data, and began to give people the job to remember them. we saw the importance of this knowledge, and created better ways to preserve them for future use. with this in mind, there is no phenomenon that we shouldn't be able to study and understand. it takes time, but when it's found it, it's never going to be forgotten.
>>
>>17054056
Idk. Experiencing similar or exactly like us? Probably not. But if you're talking about the comprehension of technology there are a few animals out there that (at least appear to) do it quite well.

Octopi are very mechanically inclined and can take things apart methodically, unscrewing screws by 'hand.' There's even one who's been trained to take pictures of its visitors, albeit probably not very well aimed.

Cool as fuck if you ask me.
>>
>>17054056

This is a really interesting question. If you look at some fields of math, currently. There are only a handful of people in the world that can prove and check these niche specialties. Only a handful of people on an ENTIRE planet have the scope to tackle problems in these fields. As more and more time passes, mathematics branches out more and more (save for incidences where fields are brought together from amazing proofs). Math alone will become so fragmented and specialized that perhaps someday there will be no other expert to verify a proof, because the mathematician is the only one in the world who can understand it.

We're already reaching our limits in understanding and we haven't even inhabited another planet yet. It definitely won't be homo sapiens that end up understanding the universe.
>>
File: 2000ydstare.jpg (235 KB, 468x490) Image search: [Google]
2000ydstare.jpg
235 KB, 468x490
>>17054543
I was at a con, don't deny things that are real.
>>
>>17055126
more than half
the american average is 85
that's at least 175m boderline retards and mentally deficient persons, it gets better when you consider that the top half of the population needs to have IQs above 100 in order to satisfy the median, but it gets worse when you consider that that itself implies a significant valley between the 85-110 brackets

and /pol/ can shut up because there aren't enough blacks or rednecks to account for the morons, these are metropolitan city folk bringing down the intelligence, ladies and gentlemen

DEMOCRATS
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.