[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sleep Paralysis Research
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
Hey /x/ I'm doing a bit of research on sleep paralysis, more specifically the similarities and differences between cases. Sleep Paralysis is often known to cause hallucinations and visions and that will be our focal point. If you suffer from sleep paralysis please post a short description of your case, whether anything special happened during that time to potentially trigger it and as detailed description as you can form about what you saw/ heard while it was occurring. This will be compared to other users responses. Please be as honest as possible. Thank you.
>>
>>17049505
Bump
>>
Well I've had plenty of variety.

11 - 15 Shadow would jump on me and bite me

Since the shadow left it's been a diversity in creatures and hallucinations. One day it could be just a presence, another day a dead girl kissing me, to witches screaming in my face.
>>
>>17049605
Any chance you can describe the shadow from your earlier cases?
>>
happened somewhat frequently as i was growing up but stopped when i reached my late teens and i havent experienced it ever again. it got to a point were i was so scared of it happening that i now sleep exclusively on my side which is said to decrease the likelyhood of it happening and i sleep with a pillow over my head forming a "cave" so that i cant see the room in case i start to hallucinate. what would happen varied alot. sometimes id feel like i couldnt move or speak but id feel like i was being "shocked" electrically. one time i hallucinated that i was being sexually assualted and could feel it.
>>
I get it fairly often, maybe every 2-3 months, but I've never hallucinated after the second time. I have a pretty analytical mind so after I researched it, now I just wake up, realize I can't move, and think "oh fuckin sleep paralysis again...".
Sometimes I'll feel some dread, but I will quickly shut my eyes and remind myself it's just bullshit until I fall asleep again. I almost never actually wake up out of it.
>>
>>17049734
Would you mind describing your hallucinations when you still had them? If you remember.
>>
>>17049724
Glad to hear you've grown out of it. Would you mind describing some of your hallucinations when you had them?
>>
>>17049758
That time i felt like i was being sexually assualted i hallucinated a man on me. I could even see him wearing a white shirt. I dont have many visual hallucinations because i would always try to block my vision of my surroundings to avoid it. Most of it was always based on the sense of touch. I did however remember seeing a white figureless thing at the entrance of my rooms door. It stood there for a short while then left.
>>
>>17049758
As for what caused it or triggered it i remember usually being on my back which made me change my sleeping position permanently. A big trigger of it seemed to be waking up somewhat early then going back to sleep right after wards. Maybe my body wasnt sure if i was really awake or asleep and ended up being possibly confused.
>>
>>17049605
How'd you know that she was dead?
>>
>>17049619
Faceless, wasn't see through, silhouette almost emitted a black aura. Was about 5 and a half feet tall.
>>
>>17049841
because she was a corpse. lol
>>
>>17049748
The first time I woke up and heard a screeching but didn't realize I was paralyzed because I just felt like staying still. Then I saw this dark thing, like smoke come to life swirl up from under my door and form above me on the ceiling into a figure. At this point I realized I couldn't move and freaked out and then woke up.
The second time my door was open and I saw a figure outlined against it. It stood there for awhile and left; as soon as it was gone I could move again.
>>
>>17049619
>>17049852

Shadow was human, just stating the obvious just in case. No abnormalities. It was the silhouette of a human
>>
Honestly?

If you want to try it out and see for yourself just get really tired/exhausted and stay awake for longer than you can physically manage
>>
Only experienced it once. I was sleeping on the floor on my back and woke to a black gargoyle looking figure sitting across the room from me. I could not move and a loud rumbling noise filled my head. After 10 seconds or so I gasped and came to.
>>
>>17049875
I have experienced it before, which encouraged this project. I'm interested in comparing as many accounts as possible for related themes and factors, like being watched from a doorway or window for the first few occurrences
>>
>>17049855
Was it good?
>>
Used to get them when I was 16-18ish once a week. Now 20 haven't had one in a long time but back then I used to be able to remember my dreams now I struggle to. Only time I can recall that actually scared me was

>Dream that I was driving with friends
>All of a sudden hear a loud boom in dream and screaming
>Wake up in room
>Hear a loud buzzing
>Look around room but can't move
>Look at window and hear a large boom like a bomb just went off and a huge white like engulfs my room
>So scared I feel like crying because I can't move so many thoughts in my head about the U.S. being bombed/nuked, if I was going to die, etc.
>Wake up realized it was sleep paralysis and go back to sleep
>>
>>17049903
yea it was pretty hot desu senpai. It was extremely terrifying at first tho, because I could hear her running through the hallway almost stomping the floor. I was paralyzed and unable to even look down, it slammed the door open and ran next to me and stare directly into my eyes. Then it started making out with me.

Feelsweirdman
>>
>>17049505
I only experienced sleep paralysis when I started experimenting with lucid dreaming, especially when practicing WILD. The first few I had were quite upsetting but I quickly learned how to fall back to sleep or force myself to wake up fully. Hallucinations include:
>A large figure grabbing me from behind and dragging me out of my bed while squeezing me tightly
>A dark presence at the foot of my bed
>A huge (surprisingly comforting) spider sitting on my chest
>Part of my wall that had light coming in through a crack of my curtains forming figures like armies seen from above fighting against 'shadow' armies that covered the dark parts of the wall.
And the worst one I had when I was very sick.
>Wake up and feel like I'm buried upside down, unable to move at all.
>>
>Had a violent dream where I was pissed at my friends and about to stab them
>Screaming and shouting
>It all fades into buzzing
>Sounds as if you repeatedly press your fingers against your ears
>Can't move

The first time I was fucking freaked out.
Everytime I have it, it's when I try to fall asleep and it happens 3 or 4 times in a row.
I never hallucinate and (except the first time) it's not preceeded by dreams.
I just have this really nice feeling, my body feels light and as soon as the buzzing sets in I already now what will happen.
Most of the time I panic, I don't open my eyes (read enough horror stories here) and it usually goes away when I calm myself down.
>>
I had my last sleep paralysis episode about a month ago. I was laying on my left hand side facing my wall. I was tired but struggled to actually fall asleep. Kept my eyes close, started to feel the drowsiness get to me. I opened my eyes, and I saw my mom's face staring back at me, scolding me for making some odd remark about Jesus. I tried to say, "mom," but nothing came out. Once I realized I was trapped that's when shit got real freaky. My mom's face started to warp into that of what I can only describe as a demonic face with horns and sharp teeth. It got real close to me and ran a finger on my cheek and I snapped out of it swinging. Fuck SP.
>>
I'll share in the name of pseudoscience.

Usually have 2-3 periods of time (lasting from two weeks to 5 months) where I will get them frequently (2-5 times a week).

Changing the location of where I sleep (such as from bed to couch) does not have an effect on whether I get them or not.

I always sleep on my side facing towards the right of my bed with the blanket tucked over my head with just my nose sticking out. Vision is obscured in my right eye due to it being pressed into pillow, however I can still see through a crack in the blanket with my left eye.

I always see a tall shadow figure approach me and when I try to move out of fear the paralysis part of sleep paralysis kicks in.

It happens with extreme frequency (I'd estimate somewhere around 4/5 times) when I become lucid during a dream. However, in all those dreams, I am lying in my bed.

Infrequently (dunno about an estimate) when the shadow figure gets close enough and I haven't awoken by that point, it will begin to levitate me, sometimes moving me quickly around the room.

I don't have anything to contribute regarding sound, always seem to get a feeling of overwhelming dread that drowns out everything else.

Hope this post was somewhat helpful.
>>
never really knew it was called sleep paralysis before I started reading about this phenomena here and on reddit. my grandpa described it back when I was a kid, guess it runs in the family

it happens fairly rarely, once every 6 months? I open my eyes and I have a feeling of complete dread. After a few seconds I realize wtf is going on but I'm still laying there staring at something. Usually I'm imagining some sort of person at the end of my bed but it's not anything weird just a regular guy standing there. I close my eyes and I can feel the adrenaline doing work and how shitty the dread feels... then I fall back asleep...
>>
It happened last year, it was my first and only sleep paralisys. I just realized i wasn't dreaming, i was awake and i couldn't move. I panicked immediatly, screamed a lot in my mind but i could not scream. I don't remember if i had open or closed eyes, but i saw a sort of mist around me. Maybe i forgot to breathe, because i woke up gasping for air, shaking and scared.
>>
>>17049724
I'm like you, in that I sleep on my side. I get sleepy on my back then turn to sleep. I wear a sleep mask (okay, okay, it's a knee-high sock I tie around my head) and earplugs, just to shut out all sensory input from my surroundings.

I stopped getting them while falling asleep, but now I sometimes get them while waking.

I never get them when there's a person or even pet in the room with me. Not even the 'when waking up' ones (only one time).

I have had too many to list here, but they're always weird and crazy. I'm not terrified by them anymore, but it's always uncomfortable, and you have to stay determined to keep your thoughts in line, or else shit can get really scary. You just kind of ride it out. It's cool after the fact to have one, but it's risky during, because when it gets scary, it's way worse than nightmares.
>>
Did anyone ever have this happen to them somewhere other than a bed?
>>
Wake up and cant move at all as I'm stuck a all black hand waves in front of my face
>>
When I was ~10 years old, I woke up in my bed and there was a light coming into the room from the hallway and a I thought at the time that my little brother (3-5 yo then) was standing at the doorway. I didn't think much of it and I just turned around and slept until morning. Some days/weeks later I wake up during the night again and I think I see my little brother standing next to my bed staring at me, and I tell him to go to bed, but then I start to panic when he doesn't answer or react. I get under my blanket and wish I could fall asleep. In the morning I see that there's a very big toy where I thought my brother was standing, so I think that is what I saw.

Third time was absolutely terrifying. I wake up in the middle of night and I'm very sure that my little brother is looking at me again. This time I take a good look and it's not just some black figure, but very detailed. Except that he is transparent. He's standing 1 meter away from my bed. I try to fall asleep again but it's super hard and the panic makes me wish I wasn't even born. Then I see something moving in the corner of my eye and I jump out of my bed and run away. I think he vanished around the time I got on my feet.

I see him many more times (10-20 times, I lost count, and I don't really even remember most of the other times). I usually just run away. It also happens when we're at our summer cabin, it was a top-bunk and the thing was sitting on my legs.

The last time I see it is memorable. I'm not in my own bed, for some reason I'm sleeping in my brother's bed (we shared the room). The thing is in the room though. It's sitting on the floor, looking at the bed where I usually sleep (this is the only time it's not looking straight into my eyes when I notice it). I get up and start running past him to the door, and the thing starts looking at me. I yell to it something along the line of "Why are you tormenting me?" and the thing just stares at me. This is the last time I see it.

To be continued..
>>

5 years go by and I don't see anything. Then one night I wake up in my bed and I can hear someone walking down the wooden stairs right outside my room. Except that when he/she should get to the bottom of the stairs (where my door is), I can't see anyone. Apparently no one walked the stairs but I could still hear it. This kinda spooks me, but very soon I can hear a dog running towards my bed (we don't have a dog and never did). I hear the dog's nails hitting the parquet while it closes on me and it stops at my bed. Nothing there though. After this I'm getting really scared and I see a typical shadow man standing next to my bed. It's trying to hit me with a knife (I don't see the knife, I just somehow know it has one) and I try to move my arm to block it. My arm doesn't move. The man vanishes and I think I wake up at this point. I try to put the light on but my arm is still not moving. I try my other arm and it works. The other one was a bit under me and had bad circulation or something so it's numb.

Another 5 years goes by and I wake up to the sound of my blanket that it makes when something is pulling it towards the floor. I can feel the blanket sliding against me and the hear sound it makes while it does that. For a second there I'm kinda panicked and wonder what kind of monster is under my bed, wanting my blanket. But after a second I simply stop being scared cause the sound and the sliding feeling don't end and I know my blanket isn't all that wide. It should have been on the floor ages ago but it still keeps on moving so I'm guessing it just a hallucination. I think the whole ordeal lasted around 3 seconds or so. I know what sleep paralysis is at this point so I'm not that scared.

There might have been some times I forgot but they probably weren't all that scary. It really helps to read about sleep paralysis. Although I'm not positive that I have ever been paralyzed. Even that shadow man time my hand might have been just numb.
>>
First time I ever had sleep paralysis was when I was in the 6th grade. I fell asleep on my futon and when I opened my eyes couldn't move and my head was pointing at my door. I saw a black figure standing in the door way. The light was on behind him since my parents were still awake. Then I shook out of it and ran to my parents. Since then it happens every once in a great while. That was the only time I ever saw a figure. The last time it happened was about a month ago. I work as a security/emt. Fell asleep in my chair at my post. Woke up couldn't move and just shook out of it. It seems like every time it happens I'm less afraid than the time prior and it's easier to break free.
>>
It's a basic out of body experience faggots, you are just to pussy to leave it. You need to be confident and curious, once you've conquered you fear you will be gods
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.