[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who or what is the Leviathan?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: tumblr_nxurj78BBI1sicb5ko1_1280.jpg (211 KB, 1280x901) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxurj78BBI1sicb5ko1_1280.jpg
211 KB, 1280x901
Who or what is the Leviathan?
>>
*bump*
>>
Hell im curious, i've heard of it being a evil god or someshit, more powerful than the devil himself?
>>
>>17036865
A giant lobster being, possibly artificial, living off the coast of Iceland. Possibly guarding something.
>>
>>17036898
that's fucking gross, dawg, even niggers don't want that shit.
>>
It is supposed to be a sea monster, is the fish of whale, that swallow Jonas, the profect in the Bible. But scince the power of this monster is note bigger than god´s it was not able to harm the profet.
>>
In the 19, Thomas Hobbes, use this concept, to refer to the State, and the need of this social structure to become bigger, and stronger, for the sake of its own citizens.
>>
Its a giant seamonster.
>>
The leviathan was a sea monster, kin to the behemoth. Where the behemoth was the chiefest of land and land creatures, the leviathan was that of the waters and sea creatures. It was enormous, filling the oceans (for a reference point, the Pangaean ocean).

I have read lore that it was the beast Lilith was turned into after the Fall of the Angels, but I am not sure how that timeline works - those creatures would be so expansive that Adam and Eve couldn't ignore them, let alone survive them.

And where I have read lore that Lilith became the leviathan I have also read that the creatures inhabited the Earth long before man was placed upon it. I am not sure whether they were akin to the "old gods" or if they were primordial creations of God.

There's a lot of conflict.

tl;dr
> reel big fish
>>
File: image.png (302 KB, 500x622) Image search: [Google]
image.png
302 KB, 500x622
It's a biblical monster, it,s described somewhere on genesis, i believe also appears in the apocalypse. It fights against Behemoth, and both.

Everything else is bullshit
>>
>>17037035

Also apparently it was slain by Raphael and his spear. Again, dunno about that lore or its conflictions, just something I read.
>>
>>17036923
fuck lol, atlantis
>>
Job 40:15-18
>Look at Behemoth, which I made just as I made you; it eats grass like an ox. Its strength is in its loins, and its power in the muscles of its belly. It makes its tail stiff like cedar; the sinews of its thighs are knit together. Its bones are tubes of bronze, its limbs like bars of iron.

Job 41:1-2
>"Can you draw out Leviathan with a fishhook, or press down its tongue with a cord? Can you put a rope in its nose, or pierce its jaw with a hook?"

Job 40:13-20
>"Who can open the doors of its face? There is terror all around its teeth. Its back is made of shields in rows, shut up closely as with seal. One is so near to another that no air can come between them. They are joined one to another; they clasp eachother and cannot be separated. Its sneezes flash forward light, and its eyes are like the eyelids of dawn. From its mouth go flaming torches; sparks of fire leap out. Out of its nostrils comes smoke, as from a boiling pot and burning rushes.
>>
>>17037227
>Behemoth is an ambiguous figure. It is dangerous, and yet to try capturing it is so absurd that it is beyond being a danger. It is powerful but actually does little except sleep, eat, and procreate. Unlike the animals of the first divine speech [within the context of the book of Job], it is a beast without qualities. Yet it is God's showpiece. Is it because it so well represents God's freedom to refuse rules and rationality and principles of utility? "Behemoth" is literally the plural of the common Hebrew word for animal. Scholarly opinion is divided on whether it is a primeval monster or is to be identified with the Hippopotamus. It is not otherwise mentioned in the Hebrew Bible.

The depiction of Leviathan treats, first, the impossibility of capturing it, second, its physical characteristics, and third, the creature in motion. Unlike Behemoth, who was indolent and unthreatening, Leviathan is nothing but violence and turmoil. Leviathan is described in terms that evoke the crocodile; some scholars understand it as the mythical chaos monster.
>>
>>17036865
>>17037254
To answer your question further, OP, the idea that Leviathan is a 'primeval chaos monster' that obviously lurks in the sea, is meant to be understood in the context of God's creation of the world, which began if you remember, by dividing the waters, creating land and firmaments, etc.

So Leviathan is to be understood as a monster that lurks in the sea that was before the earth. You might interpret this as whatever made the bloop, or a generic giant megalodon or ancient dinosaur, a force that acts opposite to order (if God brought order to the sea of Chaos, you might understand Leviathan as a metaphor for entropy and decay itself) or just as a large crocodile or oarfish or giant squid, or ancient Israelite sailor's tale.
>>
File: erika.jpg (184 KB, 1280x987) Image search: [Google]
erika.jpg
184 KB, 1280x987
>>17037254
>>17037227

Moar please
>>
>>17037321
that's really it, read the actual bible if you want to learn anything about the sources only it lays a first-hand account claim for.

Of course there are a lot of other stuff about ancient near eastern religions and folklore, ideas about chaos monsters and oceanic threats that were culturally blended or precursed Leviathan, but even there, it's largely up to interpretation. It's not like there any photographs or scholarly essays from contemporaries that you're missing.
>>
>>17036865
I think, according to the Hebrews, it was just a whale.
>>
>>17036945
No it's not dumbass. read the bible
"God conjured a fish"
Not Leviathan
>>
File: hqdefault-3.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault-3.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>17037340
IT'S A TOONER JAY!
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.