[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Latvian Mythology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: bine_dievs_mara_laima.jpg (2 MB, 2193x1954) Image search: [Google]
bine_dievs_mara_laima.jpg
2 MB, 2193x1954
Sup X,

I've been trying to learn about Latvian mythology, magic, paganism, etc. for a while now, but I've had almost no luck finding english translations. I'll be taking Latvian lessons soon and trying to read selections from the Dainas, but until then, what am I to do!

Interested for heritage and academic reasons.
>>
Lithuanian here, our mythology is basically identical to that of Latvia's, maybe I can help with something.
>>
File: CoverImage_eWeavingBelts.jpg (279 KB, 1020x680) Image search: [Google]
CoverImage_eWeavingBelts.jpg
279 KB, 1020x680
They've got some sick magic geometry that they use to weave symbolic pattern stories, but fuck if I can find what they mean!
>>
>>17031794
Thanks!

Any book/story/ folklore collections you know of, I would love to hear about. Or any general kinda stuff you know about magic or pagan practices?
>>
>>17031804
Also there is some magic numbers game that geometry works with and gets applied to calendar division and because I don't know how to interpret the symbols, I don't know how to 'read' it
>>
>>17031794
Also, anything you know about the symbols that get used in weaving, their meaning, how they were developed, if there's any magic/science around their creation would be wonderful?

Or you could just link or greentext me some sweet stories?
>>
>>17031812
>>17031812
Oh, I'm sadly not much into that kind of stuff. I know the general stuff, how ancient Balts would worship a lot of different gods and that oaks were considered sacred. Swastikas were also used often, and they usually referred to Perkons or Saule.
The best thing I could do is to translate some texts.
I'm looking into the symbols' meanings right now
>>
File: image.jpg (164 KB, 600x614) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
164 KB, 600x614
1st row - a circle, wheel, the symbol of sun, or other stars. Tilted lines mean movement
2nd row - a cross, the symbol of two main ways of space joining in the point of the beggining of everything
3rd row - a swastika, a rotating cross. It means movement, energy, fire, sun, or Perkons
4th row - the symbol of moon phases, meaning the movemet of time
5th row - spirals, meaning energy, liveliness, evolution
6th row - a rectangle, the symbol of earth, stability
7th row - a triangle pointing up means the sky, a triangle pointing down means femininity
8th row - both triangles equal the galaxy, the "everything"

Sorry for the slow posting, I'm on my phone. It's pretty damn late here
>>
>>17031841
Do you happen to know if there is a difference between Romuva and Dievasturibas (spelling?)? I know D.... roughly translates to worship of the God(s), but I don't know much about either.

Really anything you know about it is cool. Thanks!
>>
>>17031901
Romuva is basically a Lithuanian neo-paganism movement, and Dievturiba is its' equivalent, only Latvian. I don't know of there are large differences in their ideologies, but I'd expect it to be pretty similar.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dievturība
>>
File: ZIIMJU-BUKLETS-2.jpg (466 KB, 1920x1358) Image search: [Google]
ZIIMJU-BUKLETS-2.jpg
466 KB, 1920x1358
>>17031876
That's awesome, you're a wonderful person!

If you're not too sleepy, I've been wondering about this as well
>pic related
>>
>>17031922
I'd love to translate it, but it's in Latvian and I only speak Lithuanian. Your best bet would be visiting /int/, or even reddit and hoping that you would find a Latvian kind enough to do it, or simply using google translate. I might look for more info on these symbols tommorow, I'm getting interested myself
>>
>>17031934
Aren't latvian and lithuanian similar enough to understand each other a bit?
Like polish/slovak or danish/norwegian?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.