[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Meditation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: meditation_sun.jpg (129 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
meditation_sun.jpg
129 KB, 500x373
I'm a meditation novice with some experience in vipassana. I'm wondering what kind of changes/benefits are actually possible and realistic with meditation. Can meditation lower anxiety and cn it really make you lose your sense of seperateness? If so, can't that actually be somewhat scary or unnerving? What is /x/'s experience with meditation?
>>
>>17026958
its wholly good just do it
/thred
>>
It's good
>>
>>17026958
>can't that actually be somewhat scary or unnerving?
No. Why would you think it would?
>>
>>17026958
Evidence seems to be piling up that meditation can have very many benefits. It appears meditation can lower anxiety at least in part by reducing activity in the sympathetic nervous system which controls a person's fight or flight response. Anxious people tend to have an active SNS. The sympathetic nervous system produces various stress hormones which negatively affect other functions in the body, reducing testosterone and increase inflammatory white blood cells
>>
Meditation can help remove the you that experiences fear in the first place
Meditation is great because it's hard to reach a state you're not ready for
>>
>>17028023
>>17028156
Which type of meditation is good for this?
Just sitting and observing breath? Or complete motion less and thought less? What about guided meditation?
>>
>>17028363
Sit and observe the breath. Keep your back straight always; a straight back reflects a focused mind. But don't be tense. Be relaxed, yet alert.

Let any thoughts that happen, positive or negative, pass away without judgement. See for them for what they are and just them go. Just breathe.
>>
>>17028619
Thank you
>>
>>17028628
Count 1 on the in-breath, 2 on the out-breath, all the way to 10 and then repeat, if you kind of need something to ground you in the breathing action as you get started.

You're also going to notice is very intrusive and very chatty. Just breathe and don't let anything get its hooks into you. Eventually you'll experience, and not just know, that you are not your thoughts.
>>
>>17028656
I'll remember that thanks again for time
>>
File: 1334093295990.jpg (50 KB, 500x351) Image search: [Google]
1334093295990.jpg
50 KB, 500x351
I hope you don't mind me riding on your thread OP.

Every time I try to meditate I do it for a week and then I give up because I get waves of fear, a feeling that a presence is watching/approaching me while I meditate (So I have to get up and turn on the light or go somewhere else) and this is going to sound fucking stupid, but I see a face kind of like the exorcist girl pass by and it feels way more intense than the other thoughts. Whenever that horrible presence is around it feels like that horrifying woman.

I also start to get extremely depressed and suicidal, but I want to do meditation for its many benefits. Does anyone know what's going on? Maybe I'm just using that face because it's the first screamer I saw as a kid. Is it all in my head?
>>
>>17030510
I get something similar, it has to do with the hypnagogic state and astral projection. It's like how if you if you aren't feeling well you might sleep and get a nightmare, but it gets more vivid in this state.
>>
>>17030510
>>17030548

Sweet RP bros. Can I play a blue anthro wolf?
>>
>>17030552
I'm not role playing, this is an actual concern on mine. It could actually just all be in my head I just wanted to see if /x/ ever had experience with something like this. Stop being salty.
>>
>>17030558

If it's not RP, it's in your head. Get help.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.