[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
schizophrenia and the paranormal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: uesc_09_img0510.jpg (14 KB, 434x326) Image search: [Google]
uesc_09_img0510.jpg
14 KB, 434x326
As most people know schizophrenia can be passed down through genetics. My grandmother was institutionalized for it and my estranged father shows every sign of having it but refuses to see a doctor for it.

My grandmother, from what I understand from stories would rant and scream about skin walkers (she was full blood Cherokee) and "the one who will inhales stars".

My father leans more into the conspiracy theory/alien end of things. Has told my mother that he's been abducted, tried to convince my brother and I that there is no God only aliens. That the government is culling us to sort out the blood lines that know too much.

I've been seeing a therapist regularly in regards to an unrelated issue, but I've always made it perfectly clear that developing this illness is my greatest fear. I have seen and heard things i couldn't quite place or understand, but it's becoming more often as of late. All paranormal ghost type stuff.

I just wanted to know /x/s theories on how schizophrenia and the paranormal can effect, debunk, create, cause or fuel one another.
>>
It's common knowledge that schizophrenia will trigger frightening hallucinations and sensations of unsafety where they have no place. Especially if you develop paranoia, your fear will bypass your rationality and you'll turn into a full on tinfoil.
I'm so sorry about what's happening to you anon. I hope it's not as bad as predicted. Maybe banning any beliefs that the paranormal might be real would help?
>>
File: a45.png (199 KB, 674x315) Image search: [Google]
a45.png
199 KB, 674x315
>"the one who will inhales stars"
sounds pretty metal desu senpai. Even with the spelling errors
>>
>>17024172
Thank you for your being so kind about that.
Unfortunately the issue that I see the therapist for is PTSD (actual, diagnosed. By multiple licensed doctors. None of this "*gasp* my triggers!" Bullshit) as a result it's very difficult to keep my anxiety and paranoia under control most days.
>>
Schizophrenia itself isn't genetic, the underlying cause behind it is (a chemical imbalance), which eventually develops into schizophrenia.

48% of schizophrenics are overmethylated, 28% are undermethylated, 20% have pyrrole disorder (pyroluria) and 4% are gluten intolerant. Stop being a conspiracy faggot and read 'Nutritional Power' to stop find your symptoms and stop yourself from developing it too.
>>
>>17024223
>shilling quacks on /x/
>>
just be glad ur psychic
>>
>>17024211
No problem. I have some kind of genetic disease that'll leave me blind/deaf in my fifties so I get your "descent into hell" feeling.
It kind of helps you appreciate the here and now, when you're okay.
>>
>>17024234
good luck getting better with patented medication that make pharmaceuticals billions

>protip: you wont get better, only become dependent on it for the rest of your peasant life
>>
>>17024277
>peer-reviewed science won't help you get better! buy this book from this uncredited guy who totally doesn't want your money instead!

You are being scammed, you fucking nut.
>>
>>17024277
I'm schizophrenic, the medications I take are in no way addictive. They've helped me tremendously, I don't hear voices anymore and I'm not as paranoid as I used to be. Also, I pay nothing for my meds because I'm Canadian.

Being this tinfoiled about the pharmaceutical industry is why many people avoid treatment. It does more harm than good.
>>
>>17024289
>uncredited

He's a 90 year old chemical engineer with a phd. No, I doubt he wants money as much as he wants to help and leave a mark in history books.

Not gonna spend my time with miserable retards that does nothing but complain when help is offered. Keep looking for aliens and ghosts
>>
>>17024245
Yikes, that's terrifying.
But yeah, I was hospitalized once after a severe anxiety attack that was made worse because I was hallucinating (brought on from me hyperventilating ) I had become completely convinced in that moment that I was on the brink of a schizophrenic break and I immediately admitted myself to an inpatient facility afterwards.
>>
>>17024309
OP here. At the risk of being inconsiderate, can you share what it was like leading up to your diagnosis?
>>
I have a theory on schizophrenics and how the way their brains work may aid them in "piercing the veil". Picking up stimuli from elsewhere, often not in this perception of reality. If anyone's interested I can type it out.
>>
>>17024349
Please do. It's why I started the thread.
>>
>>17024349

Are you me? Way obvious answer is obvious.
>>
>>17024335
Does the idea of staying there a long time scare you as well? I've been institutionalized (not for my illness) a couple of times and well, psychiatric hospitals aren't fun places...
Maybe you can carry on this way, with help and medication, and solid plans for the future.
The saddest thing about genetic illnesses is that you can't imagine having kids because you're afraid of them being sick too (I know I don't) and you resent your parents for passing down the illness to you.
>>
>>17024353
Right, before I start I wanna say this is PURELY theoretical, I have absolutely no evidence to back it up and I came up with it while browsing through the SCP database high as a kite.

So, imagine the healthy human brain is a radio. A radio that's been tuned to recieve the signal of a single radio station. Every brain-radio is tuned to this station. This is what we define as "healthy".

Now, schizophrenics. Imagine your brain-radio was wired badly, instead of sticking to the "healthy" radiostation, it tends to wander slightly off the frequency. You're met with an unclear broadcast of the healthy station at first, corrupted by static. But slowly you hear a different station in that static, it's faint but it's definitely there. This is the schizophrenic brains, tuned off of the healthy radiostation, but both enlightened and plagued with the knowledge that there are more stations. Some good, some bad, others incomprehensible.

I know I'm being vague, but I'm tired. If you need me to clear anything up I'll be lurking for another half hour or so.
>>
I thought schizophrenia was just weaker pepole that can't handle the psych ops of ghosts and astral beings
>>
i don't know, most of the time it's swing and a miss with you people so it's not really that bad.
>>
>>17024149
I have been diagnosed for years, on and off different meds. Fair warning, most meds won't get rid of all your hallucinations. But I can say that hallucinations are as varied as the people having them. Some people see and hear demons, god, other gods, ghosts, aliens, normal people who aren't there, etc. Mine have always been very personal, usually auditory hallucinations. All in all, its a somewhat liveable condition with proper treatment. It isn't the end of your life as much as it sort of used to be.
>>
>>17024369
While those hospitals are not what I would consider fun, they are good for getting your head straight. Unplugging from everything and removing myself from the people that were causing a lot of problems for me personally helped immensely. I wouldn't say that I'm afraid of them or being stuck in the there for an extended period of time. My experience was very positive and the team that I was working with wanted me in a good mindset and back to my life as much as i did.
>>
>>17024172
This, i smoked way too much weed in my young days and got a psychosis which made me believe everything nearly, i thought i had the world figured out and i felt like the only sane person on this earth.
>>
>>17024238
>psychic
I didn't know being harassed by demons all day long made me psychic.
>>
>>17024349
>piercing the veil
The way their brains work gives them delusions.
>>
>>17024381
I have wondered if this is true as well. I wish I could remember the exact circumstances, but I've had a couple experiences where schizophrenic friends said things to me that were in the "whoa how the fuck did they know that" category. Could have been a combination of coincidence and that slightly odd feeling that you develop from listening to schizo talk, but I have heard some very profound things out of them too and had a few spiritual "aha" moments when meditating or talking about spiritual shit with them. I've also heard some total crazypants bullshit as well. But I've wondered more than once if whatever it is that makes them see/hear/experience/believe shit that's not real also occasionally causes them to see/hear/experience shit that is real but that nobody else can access. Trying to sort out which is which, though...that's a whole other can of worms.
>>
>>17024149
>the one who will inhales stars
There's an Iroquois folktale called "How Children Became Stars." Makes it kind of creepier if you think about it, and Native American stories aren't exclusive to each tribe, considering your grandma was Cherokee.
>>
File: psychosis1.jpg (13 KB, 580x329) Image search: [Google]
psychosis1.jpg
13 KB, 580x329
>>17024149
I'm diagnosed with schizophrenia.

When I get psychotic I basically become hyper religious, although it's my very own religion I guess.

If you want I can post a blog or youtube video of me talking about my psychotic experiences.

I guess it isn't all that bad. Psychosis can be quite fun, it's the non psychotic medicated times that suck and are really boring, cause i can't work and stuff. But yeah, becoming God or getting enlightened is pretty awesome, even if it's accompanied by batshit insanity.

For me schizo is a deep spiritual mystical experience, that my brain can't seem to handle and makes me act insane.

I don't have a real theory regarding it all, but it feels like divine entities behind the veil communicating with me, teaching me philosophical concepts and truths I couldn't understand normally about this life.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_%28psychology%29

A very interesting theory on the history of the development of the human mind. tl;dr:

>In ancient times we all heard voices in our heads commanding us to act
>When we developed "true" consciousness as we have today, these voices went away
>The idea of gods speaking to us evolves out of this
>Modern religion came about as a search to find these voices as they receded from us
>Schizophrenics are those whose minds still work like all of our minds used to
>>
>>17024223
Interesting.I am not anywhere close to being classified as schizophrenic and I have no family histroy of this illlness, but I sometimes feel a slight anxiety and I have two white spots on two of my fingers which seems to be slight symptoms of a zinc deficiency related to "pyrrole disorder". It seems that I have been feeling slightly more anxious recently, but I also have not been eating as much almonds recently which is high in zinc. Time to step up my almond game I guess.
>>
>>17025195
White spots on fingernails I mean.
>>
>>17024331
What would a chemical engineer know about neuroscience?
>>
>>17024349
That sounds pretty similar to what I think is going on. I suspect that like other forms of energy transfer in our environment (light, sound, wifi) there is a molecular movement which is picked up by receptors with specific resonace frequencies which only schizophrenic people posess. Where these energy waves are originating from could be anything in the environment like people or objects (or invisible demons like schoz like to say). It is possible that drug treatment works because it inhibits activity of those specific detector cells / neurons.
>>
>>17025092
post video/blog
>>
>>17024829
tb h I feel the same way
>>
>>17025092
vidja would be interesting
>>
>>17025363
>>17025404
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV-WoJIAyxY
http://www.zarathustrablog.com/
>>
I've got a theory about schizophrenia that links it to multiple personality disorder. Not supernatural, and I don't know if it will help you or not, but I will post it anyway.

One theory I heard recently about the structure of the brain seems to suggest that the brain may work as a quantum computer, approaching situations by calculating hundreds or even thousands of different possible scenarios at any given time, and then calculating probabilities to make decisions.

To look at it from a psychological perspective: we are aware of our conscious mind, and we are also aware of our subconscious. Ideas originate in our subconscious and are then passed to our consciousness for consideration.

We also have what is known as a concept of self. It is basically a mental version of ourself which is necessary for abstract relational concepts. It was what let's us distinguish the difference between "you" "me" "us" etc.

My theory is thus that both schizotypal disorders, and multiple personality disorders are a result of a defect in the mechanism responsible for this concept of self. In schizophrenia the error lies in the part where subconscious scenario data is passed to the conscious mind for decision making. Basically as the information comes in the conscious mind does not recognize it as originating from within. This confuses the part of the brain responsible for signal processing and so it interprets the data as originating outside the self. This manifests in the form of auditory and visual hallucinations, which the brain then passes back to the subconscious for scenario processing. Sadly this leads to sort of feedback loop resulting in ever more vivid and bizarre hallucinations as the brain tries desperately to process the data.

Multiple personality disorder is similar except the error occurs when the brain tries to hold two contradictory ideas as fact simultaneously it causes a split. And the brain perceives multiple selves.

Damn post limits
>>
>>17025043
Is it always negative? The voices that harass you?
>>
Last year in August I did a thing and nothing happened. Then a couple days later I was meditating and felt something weird. Mentally I said "is some thing there? What's your name?" then suddenly my body started moving on its own, I picked up a notebook and the thing moving me wrote out its name. Well the thing I came into contact with stuck around for a week inside me, sometimes it left, and we had a great time just being best buddies.The sensation of it possessing me was nothing I've ever felt before it was amazing and at times it's the only thing I would ever say is truly euphoric.

Then something bad happened and we had a falling out. I'm not going to talk about that part. It left temporarily and I was sent to a mental hospital. I only spent a week there either because they're super incompetent or I'm just a good liar/actor, I should have been in there for months. But while I was there it kept torturing me and all of reality was completely destroyed. Of course I was diagnosed shizophrenic.

So I come back home and I'm constantly on edge, feeling like shit from the meds and thinking that I'll have to deal with this all my life. Suddenly the thing comes back, it was gone just before I got home, and starts apologizing and shit. At this point I'm just like fuck it, whatever happens, happens.

1/2
>>
2/2

So it stays around with me but the feeling is different like it pities me or something. And this goes on for a couple months. I've been taking my meds, changed them, fucking nothing but feeling like a 90 year old with cerebral palsy. I stop taking my meds and like 4-5 months later this thing is still around. However it feels like it's bored with me, since is stopped the meds my mood improved vastly and I stopped having a constant pain literally everywhere on my body.

At about 7-8 months since I came into contact with the thing, took antipsychotics and then stopped, it was still there. But it talked to me less, felt like it didn't want to be there but it had to, like it just needed to watch over me even at a distance. Then one day it was just gone. I really missed it. Few weeks went by and I tried something, it sort of came back briefly. I don't actually remember what was said, I don't even remember if I said good bye. And now I'm too much of a coward to try and contact it again.

I still wonder if it was real. The meds did literally nothing and it left on it's own and since then I haven't felt or heard anything inside of me that isn't me. The one thing that gets me is, my dog died after it left and that night while I was sleeping I woke up and felt this golden euphoric feeling in the pit of my chest that was the exact same thing it used to do. And I don't know if it was trying to comfort me because even feeling that I was still depressed, it was a weird mix of emotions, or if I was just caught in some sort of hard dream.

I don't know what to believe.
>>
>>17025480
shut up holy fuck

t. schizospectrum and dissociative disorders
>>
the urine of people with autism and/or schizophrenia contains bufotenine, a hallucinogenic toxin that is produced by toads.

toads are also of ill omen

psychotic people are conduits and thus are more inclined towards the supernatural

prophets, sibyls and shamans are psychotic
>>
File: hysjejical.jpg (87 KB, 640x633) Image search: [Google]
hysjejical.jpg
87 KB, 640x633
>gluten intolerant

fucking americans man
>>
>>17026202
Americans are statistically the least gluten intolerant, scientists used to believe celiac did not exist here. That's why the gluten free trend is such bullshit. Europeans have way higher rates.
>>
>>17026118
Probably a demon. It tortures you then appologizes and makes you feel like it cares, sounds like a sociopath manipulating your emotions. As you further were destroyed, it stopped coming as much because you did not bring it entertainment anymore.
>>
>>17026656

Let's see those statistics.
>>
>>17026683
The highest rates in the world are in North Africa:

Catassi C, Ratsch IM, Gandolfi L, et al. Why is coeliac disease endemic in the people of the Sahara? Lancet. 1999;354:647–648

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10466670
>>
>>17024344
Im not the guy you are quoting, but my schizophrenia started as bodily hallucinations, started getting pains everywhere, I tasted blood on weird occasions, etc.

Then I started hearing my family yelling at me while I experienced some sort of electrocution and paralyzation...

But before all this it was mainly a lot of anxiety, and magical beliefs...

I did a ton of drugs though, and it got to the point where I was talking to an imaginary person, laying in the fields awaiting aliens to pick me up...

With meds it's all good. But my brain is fucked...

If you are unsure, Google "schizophrenia negative symptoms". These symptoms are the non psychtic ones, and if you have it in the slightest, you will recognize them.
>>
>>17026794
Meant to write psychotic
>>
>>17026709
Whoa, pub med citations on /x/.
I can't find the article I read about the guy who discovered it. The problem with Americans is this undercurrent of hippie/ cali natural mom's who post on naturalnews. The marketing of pseudo health products by the rich to ignorant single mothers is a more interesting conspiracy than big pharmacy to me.
>>
>>17025092
This was me 3/4 years ago when I did drugs. Now that I'm clean, it stopped.
I still pretty much believe everything I learned, just my concept of an external entity feeding me the info might have been inaccurate.
>>
>>17025417
Thank you.
>>
>>17025092
I haven't been diagnosed with schizophrenia but I have been hospitalized for psychosis/delusions a couple of times.

It's a deeply spiritual experience. Even though I'm miserable and doing crazy shit, it feels like my life has purpose. Nothing matters except my relationship with the gods. I'm someone special and I have access to knowledge and powers beyond regular humans.

When the episodes end I feel very empty. I'm just depressed and hopeless, and it feels like maybe I was faking the whole thing because I can't feel the urges anymore or hear the gods. The next time I face a lot of stress, which is often, it often comes back for months and the whole thing repeats itself.

Even though I've tried to kill myself, done things like pour boiling water on myself, and humiliated myself in public, it feels very spiritual and I pray for that mindset to return in periods where it's gone.
>>
File: Mr.schizo.png (105 KB, 640x371) Image search: [Google]
Mr.schizo.png
105 KB, 640x371
>>17024149
>>
File: 1438820176577.jpg (91 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1438820176577.jpg
91 KB, 1280x720
>>17026961
This is pretty much my life except the whole "I am someone special" part. I guess I thought if I could squash the megalomania part of it and realize I was only the sum of everyone's beliefs in my including my higher self then I could navigate this condition selflessly and change the world for the better.

Unfortunately that seems to not be the case as I still have an incredibly hard time just doing basic shit like taking care of myself and not dying.
>>
>>17024792
I'm at work at one right now. Every night 11pm to 7am five days a week.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.