[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Horror novel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1448130929588.jpg (43 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1448130929588.jpg
43 KB, 500x500
I'm currently working on a horror novel, and need some inspiration.
What's scary, /x/?
What kind of horror can people relate to?
>>
>>17007047
niggers.
>>
>>17007056
Believe it or not, there's a tribe of crazy niggers that turn out to be skin walkers at one point.
>>
Being married to a bitch... ohhh hold on a second...
>>
>>17007082
Ohh, actually that's a good idea.
>>
>>17007047
the scariest thing is being paranoid something really bad is going to happen (but normally it doesn't happen.) so make the reader feel paranoid something really bad is going to happen
>>
You know what they say: "Write what you know."

What scares you? Have you ever had any good nightmares? When in your life have you experienced the most gutwrenching terror? What chills you to the fucking bone?

Use that.
>>
>>17007135
If this isn't good enough, then how about this? Think about the types of horror you've got.

The Uncanny: Something that should be ordinary, but is just slightly off. Zombies or robots, for instance.

The Alien: "Weird" horrors. Not necessarily actual extraterrestrials, but something unknown, perhaps unknowable. Completely and wholly strange and unusual.

The Horror Within: People are bastards. Alternatively, you, the reader, are a bastard.
>>
>>17007124
>>17007197
Excellent advice. Thank you sir.
>>
File: Guillotine.jpg (8 KB, 192x263) Image search: [Google]
Guillotine.jpg
8 KB, 192x263
>>17007135

What freaks me out is disease. Gore is simply a part of nature as is disease but despite our increasingly efficient ways of killing each other, we are at the same time contributing to our own demise by overusing antibiotics.

And don't even get me started about biological warfare!

Whats scary is that which which alters beyond no hope of return. And of course the unknown.

Dysmorphia is a good gut wrenching thing. Physically scary and activates survival instincts.

But also mass death, hysteria, and mass suicide is fucking scary too. Perhaps not so much mass suicide but I leave it up to the writer to devise a cunning plot.

Scary on a more personal basis would be any kind of trauma. Near death encounters, being lost or isolated, intense pain, loss of a loved one or beloved object.

There is also existential fear which would pertain to a characters struggle in terms of their role in the plot. Examples include good vs evil or right vs wrong, win/loose circumstances where either life or a drastically altered future is on the line.

Hmm... Scary can be anything that defies reality I suppose. In that case the sky is the limit.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sEwEc9LxSJ0
Watch this maybe it help
>>
>>17007307
Creepy as hell, that's for sure. Anyone have more like this?
>>
Also when describing the "horrors" do not be to specific, that always ruins the effect. Read Lovecraft, he never described his monters, or does it very vaiguly he always said, what a can write is only a pale shadow of the horrorific imagination any decent reader.
>>
>>17007065

friends of anu, i'm sure. they degraded their dna with monatomic gold and now they have to rape and pillage or they die.
>>
>>17007307
That toy robot is really cute.
>>
Dude look up for jinn stories! Jinns are the scariest shit ever!
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.