[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nuclear radiation and mutant species
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (170 KB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
170 KB, 1944x2592
Nuclear radiation: what do you guys think? There are some weird animals out there now, with some scary abilities. How do you think nuclear radiation affects us? Do you think we could ever have a power from radiation? Have you seen anything that may have been caused by radiation? Share your thoughts and stories
>>
go back to fallout there's nothing paranormal about this
>>
>>16963591
Spirits can give off radiation
>>
>>16963588

well i guess if you consider cancer a super power.
>>
Didn't the Hiroshima nuke not only disintegrate the bodies of the victims, but also the souls covered by said bodies?
>>
>>16963588
>Do you think we could ever have a power from radiation?

You've read too much Spiderman, watched too much Ninja Turtles.
>>
File: 1446277075054.jpg (884 KB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
1446277075054.jpg
884 KB, 1000x1333
>>16963603
>>16963617

SHILLS
>>
>>16963588
That pic makes me sad
>>
Bloodsuckers are pretty bad
>>
>>16963588
Radiation can never give us superpowers, well maybe it could it might be able to give us the ability to survive radiation.
>>
File: ab6.gif (59 KB, 395x750) Image search: [Google]
ab6.gif
59 KB, 395x750
>>16963728
>Bloodsuckers are pretty bad

Get out of here stalker
>>
>>16963588
Fucking ghouls.
>>
>>16963588
Nothing paranormal about it. Radiation can damage DNA and cause genetic mutations. Organisms affected by this can look funny and are sometimes severely disabled. Woopdie doo
>>
Guys..
What if..What if...
What if all those nuclear 'test' detonations were carried out to intentionally irradiate the planet?
>>
>>16963588
this belongs on /sci/
>>
Radiation destroys one's soul, meaning you can never ascend to Heaven or Hell or move on: in essence, it means you cease to exist upon dying
>>
>>16963603
>my sides
>>
File: 1445976587460.jpg (244 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1445976587460.jpg
244 KB, 1280x800
>>16965519
I wouldn't worry about it
>>
I've been playing FO4 as well OP. Nuclear radiation effects us by fucking up our genes and shit. Gamma radiation causes cancer. The only power we get from nuclear radiation comes from power plants.
>>
>>16963588
radiation gives us tumors, not super powers.
>>
>>16966001
That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read.
>>
>>16965965
it would if OP wanted real answers, but this is /x/
OP wants x-men shit
>>
>>16963588
ugly little shit
>>
>>16963588
Nuclear radiation does cause mutations, but most of them aren't beneficial.

There are essentially two places a mutation can occur: in your body's cells or in your sexual cells.
If a cell in your body mutates nothing will happen, as only a single cell mutates, except maybe cancer and any mutation will not be inhirited by your children.
If you have a mutation in your sex cells, you won't even notice, but the mutation will be transmitted to your children IF the affected cell or it's offspring is involved in reproduction.

Now if we assume that a mutation occurs and is actually inherited by your children, chances are that it's not something beneficial but something like OP's pic, that will fuck your children up.

long stroy short, it's possible, but incredibly unlikely.
Some methods of genetic engineering involve purposfully irradiating seeds of plants in order to induce mutations, bit you'll be working with hundreds of seeds and the plant genome os far more robust than human genome.
>>
>>16963636
I hear ya. Not fair that some poor kid should be born like that, fucked out of a normal life before they even have a chance to live it.
>>
File: 2-YuccaMountain-Fig1.jpg (330 KB, 1265x700) Image search: [Google]
2-YuccaMountain-Fig1.jpg
330 KB, 1265x700
>>16965852
Wow wtf
The tests produced some radiation, but compared to the waste from nuclear plants...

Actually I looked it up and it seems the nuclear waste people are so worried about isn't going to be a danger to future people

"nuclear fuel can return to being as radioactively dangerous as natural uranium ore in few hundred years, rather than millions"

Search that sentence if you're interested, it lays out the facts pretty well

However a few dozen or hundred years is still a lot if you think about what the main danger is...

Look at pic related. Many places where nuclear waste is buried, there is a water table they could seep into given an earthquake, like what happened with Fukushima

Although it takes a lot of nuclear material to contaminate water, due to some math thing, the immediate area is definitely going to be contaminated
Luckily most of the radioactive material went into the sea, where it spread out and got too weak to have adverse effects on people

Imagine that happening somewhere like pic related, and bear in mind nuclear waste is quite a lot more radioactive than before it's waste...
_

Oh and OP, yeah it can cause interesting mutations, but they are mostly detrimental, and it is only interesting in terms of species of animals with very short lived and high reproduction tastes, so we can watch the success and failure of different articificially indiuced mutations...

Maybe after a few decades of doing that and studying the DNA of the better mutations, we could start messing with humans and artificially evolving, but I don't think that's going to happen here, unfortunately....
>>
>>16963588
Short answer: No.

Long answer:
The concept of radiation due to nuclear fusion, can somehow cause people to turn into massive green super strong cavemen, or become blind but see more than they could while alive, is entirely fictional.
Radiation doesn't work that way. Radiation works by disrupting the natural balance of the cells, and DNA in general, causing them to act radically and cause either minor birth defects, like a slightly weakened immune system, to early tumors that can be cancerous, all the way up to crippling deformities like the one you see in the image you provided. That, however, is from an infant born to a mother who was irradiated. The mother herself is probably largely normal looking, except from the lesions and blisters caused by radiation burn.

Sorry mate, but radiation won't be turning us into a hyper-evolutionaized civilization of mutants that can control the weather, turn green and swell when angry, or leap around buildings blind folded while listening to what some newfag 4 blocks down is listening to in his headphones. Sorry.
>>
Why the fuck would anyone keep that thing alive. Admit defeat and have another one.
>>
>>16971757
>purposfully irradiating seeds of plants in order to induce mutations
Davros, please go.
>>
>>16972008
>Maybe after a few decades of doing that and studying the DNA of the better mutations, we could start messing with humans and artificially evolving, but I don't think that's going to happen here, unfortunately....
Huh? Synthetic biology is the tits, dude. The only reason it isn't advancing as fast as it should is because it's not economical yet. As soon as it is, it'll advance so quick we'll be seeing stars.

We can already do all sorts of cool shit to microorganisms, plants and animals. The only thing keeping us from fooling around with humans is ethics and law, which probably hasn't stopped some.
>>
>>16975451
Well yeah, this why its disappointing that it's not being pursued as much as it should be.

By "it's not gonna happen here, I mean it won't on the near future, not that it won't ever happen...

The only place where I know of lots of experimentation in this field is as >>16971757 stated in plants. Just look at what Monsanto's been doing...

Pic related

The real (relevant to /x/) question is whether radiation could produce any interesting useful results in the field of GMing Os
>>
>>16975498
Most of the work is with plants, probably because of the reliability of cloning. You can use a gene gun to pretty much just bombard plant particles with desired DNA, and then cultivate it... that simple. People who keep up with it, even minimally, will know that we've done some super cool shit (bio-luminescent plants/animals, self-insecticide producing plants, self-harvesting oil producing algae). Not just Monsanto "omg dey tek ovr da wurld wit GMO" stuff. There was even a kickstarter that initially asked for $65k for basically a glowing weed, and then upped it to $400k for a glowing rose and some other things when they got way more funding than expected. These guys were professionals who basically setup a lab on the side in some warehouse and did it using these peoples money to prove they could. They even sold the rights to using the trash DNA to store messages, which I sorta see as grey area but whatever. There are tons of people doing stuff like that in their closets/kitchen/garage too.

>The real (relevant to /x/) question is whether radiation could produce any interesting useful results in the field of GMing Os
Sure, eventually... sorta like the monkeys banging on a keyboard eventually writing every Shakespeare script back-to-back. Probably what gives evolution legs to walk on.
>>
>>16963633
Oh of course. There's so much to be profited by informing people that radiation is deadly and doesn't let you shoot lasers from your eyes
>>
>>16966001
only if the radiation burns off your penis. you can't get into heaven if you get your dick/balls cut off.

Deuteronomy 23:1
>>
>>16963604
This is weird cause I thought no matter what energy is never completely destroyed.
I see why aliens want us to stop.
>>
File: penelk.jpg (184 KB, 918x832) Image search: [Google]
penelk.jpg
184 KB, 918x832
>>
File: Danny-Devito.jpg (87 KB, 231x294) Image search: [Google]
Danny-Devito.jpg
87 KB, 231x294
>>16963588
>>
they are future superheroes
>>
>>16963636
Me too.
>>
>>16963591
oh, you chinky
>>
>>16966171
im with you
>>
>>16963588
Do you even science? Everything radiates a little bit, with the molten core of the planet being powered by a combination of pressure and radioactive material. Researchers have been studying the effect this has on all life for quite awhile now. Mutation is an important part of evolution, and yes, radiation causes mutations, sometimes very subtle. Viral infections can also cause mutations. The very things we fear which can shorten our lifespans or cause abnormal births are also largely responsible for the diversity and adaptability of life forms on this planet.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.