[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /x/ think of near-death experiences? The real deal,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: annunciation.jpg (58 KB, 774x621) Image search: [Google]
annunciation.jpg
58 KB, 774x621
What does /x/ think of near-death experiences? The real deal, or the chemical spasms of a dying brain?
>>
>>16962414

DMT is one hell of a drug anon, it's all just to trick your brain into thinking that everything will be fine before you exit into nothingness,that's why people talk about meeting god and seeing a bright light after surviving an extreme situation... You're basically just extremely fucked up and seeing visions that are a byproduct of a drug.
>>
>>16962427
here's how I see it:

1) either this shit is true, and we really are eternal souls that return to a Source when we die

OR

2) it isn't, and if you're dying a relatively quiet death you're almost guaranteed a pleasant last few moments as you trip your balls before you blip out forever

either way sounds good to me. how lucky we are to live in a reality where this is the case.

that said, what possible evolutionary pressure could cause the human body to produce DMT? or select for "transcendent experiences at the moment of death"? How could an "adaptation" at the exact moment of death possibly be selected for?
>>
>>16962453
It's not really known why it makes DMT, the pineal gland simply has the ingredients and capability to make it. It's basically playing around with tryptamine until it becomes N,N-Dimethyltryptamine. It normally doesn't do this in large enough amounts to trip balls, which is why you aren't constantly frying.
>>
I think it could be selected for. In cases of severe brain injury (head trauma probably more common in the old days) the brain has to compensate the body so that the body doesn't overreact and make things worse.

That said, it's pretty trippy. NDEs turn skeptics into believers, skeptics who know about the DMT and such, so that's weird. I'm still a skeptic, but I have to say, NDEs are freaky shit.
>>
>>16962504
But would these adaptations be passed onto offspring? It's not like the brain is forcibly mutating genes to adapt which then get passed on, right?

I want to believe this shit but I do feel like 'we meet god when we die, no question' is just too good to be true so I'm trying to attack this from any angle I can think of
>>
>>16962519
I think they could. Let's assume hunter-gatherers in which head trauma is common. Those who produce DMT are more likely to have NDE as opposed to just plain old D. They are more likely to continue to reproduce.

Of course, there's no way to substantiate such a theory. But at least it provides a possible explanation of evolving NDEs.

That said, instead of DMT release being a trait that evolves, it could be a function of another trait that evolved.
>>
>>16962414
Plato wrote of one during his time, and they became a lot more common when science got better at pulling people back from the edge of death.

Certain groups have rituals meant to prove to scientific minded people that the soul can exist separate from the body but from what i hear they haven't worked for a long time and everyone assumes they never did. May explain why those groups fell into matter themselves. I wonder if the change going on now is just a rebranding. Nothing materialists love more than setting themselves up as the gatekeepers to the divine.
>>
>>16962555
You essentially saying our ancient man ancestors bread with the most likely to get injured in large numbers to pass down trait related and as you admit to ones clumsiness.

What I want to know is why the mind does not simply evolve to not worry about death besides as a step or benchmark in aging.
>>
>>16962566
This
when will our bodies evolve to deal with the climate change. kek
>>
>>16962566
What? No. I'm saying head trauma is much more common in hunter-gatherer society, presumably. I'm just taking a stab at a possible answer to why we evolved DMT release during head-trauma or other bodily shut-down functions.

It sounds like you're stuck on high school biology in which di-hybrid traits can be charted in a simple form in genetic notation. When you get passed simple things like eye-color, hair color and especially aspects, functions, or responses, it becomes much more complex to explain. But fear has been an evolutionary "god-send." We don't want to get rid of that anytime soon.
>>
Yo so come on son is this shit legit or what? How aren't more people studying this?
>>
>>16962414

There are NDE's which involve people dying on medical tables, their heart and brain ceasing activity under the observation of medical instruments, they pop out of their body and witness things being said and done in the operating room that only the living should have known about.

I always advocate against "believing" in anything you don't experience yourself but I find NDE's very interesting.
>>
>>16962414

ive questioned it for a long time.
and im still not sure as sure

the cases of blind people having nde's
and the person recalling what was happening in the room or somewhere else when they were dead or dying... is quite something.
>>
>>16962414
And I felt myself going. I was in a great deal of pain, it was a very frightening experience, but I began to slip…
I just sort of, feel myself going, and I remember trying to hold on… I’ll be ok, I’ll be ok…
And it got to the point where I just couldn't… And everything began to just become very quiet.
And I can remember with every ounce of strength I had I wanted to say goodbye to my wife, it was important to me…
And I did, I remember just turning my head, looking at her and saying… I'm gonna die, goodbye Joan… and I did.
It was then that I experienced… experienced what we call a near death experience, for me there was nothing near about it, it was there.
It was a total immersion in light, brightness, warmth, peace, security…
I did not have an out-of-body experience, I did not see my body or anyone about me, I just immediately went into this beautiful bright light.
It's difficult to describe, matter of fact it’s impossible to describe.
Verbally it cannot be expressed, it’s something which becomes you and you become it…
I could say that I was peace, I was love, I was the brightness… It was part of me…
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.