[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Real or Roleplay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: 1431529459143.jpg (20 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1431529459143.jpg
20 KB, 250x250
How do you, anon, determine if something has real value or is just some edgy roleplay? I'm curious on individual thoughts on the subject.
>>
File: 1420415703196.jpg (800 KB, 2631x2800) Image search: [Google]
1420415703196.jpg
800 KB, 2631x2800
OP is just roleplaying as someone that cares about the answer to his question.
>>
>>16956143
edgy roleplay requires you to do something that you question, real value isnt doing, its knowing.
>>
if OP can't math or logic, ignor until someone smarter joins thread.
>>
>>16956147
Shill
>>
>>16956143
>How
Oh, trust me. We can tell.

We can always tell.
>>
Experience logic and research

Ie if you doubt magick try out a ritual, if you doubt aliens research cases of sightings
>>
Op, if you are referring to posts here, then yes, we can usually tell. If there is any doubt with an Op, then act as if you believe, and eventually it will become clear, ie give 'em enough rope.
>>
>>16956143
I'm an Alien from the planet Saturn. I came here during Roswell.

I'm a faggot.

Guess which is RP and which is fact.
>>
>>16956143
Edgy role play is always terribly overwritten and dramatic. There are almost always very obvious plot holes and the characters involved always behave unrealistically. Basically, think about shitty fiction and what makes it shitty and apply that to stories posted.
>>
>>16956143
Anything to do with this board is roleplay.
>>
How do you guys differentiate between roleplaying trolls amusing themselves and genuine insane crackpots?

Seen any people here who you believe is the latter?
>>
>>16956143
What was it that the Buddha said? Something about only believing what rings true in your heart, even when considering his own teachings?

/x/ is more difficult than most boards when it comes to shitpost detection, obviously, because many people "shitposting" truly believe what they're flinging all over the board. As long as they're not overbearing (multiple threads, thread hijacking, saging into infinity, flaming opposition for no reason other than being opposed by them, basically anything christfags do) I don't mind. I just hide the thread and move on... but I've been here for eons and picking out shitposts is like second nature to me. I've gotten so good that I usually know within 1-2 posts if a thread is irrevocably derailed.
>>
>>16956455
>eventually it will become clear
It's a kinda cool strategy, but "eventually" usually means 10 threads 300 posts long resulting in a new fucking dumbasfucktwatshitballsfag slendercunt that I get to see plastered all over every shirt owned by anyone under 15 years old.

Seriously, most of the time I know right away either with OP or the first few replies, and just ignore the thread. That same thread will be like 400 posts long later that night.

The #1 earner (12m in the bank) on youtube performs glorified dick and fart jokes to 8-12 year olds. Those 8-12 year olds make up 99.999% of the people on this board. It'd be interesting to see the statistics between this board and /b/, I bet /b/ is at least marginally more mature and bullshits less.
>>
>>16956633
Alright alright.

Every tactic you use to elicit information from other people came from /x/.

We own you.
>>
>>16956633
The genuine crackpots aren't trolling anyone, they're replying with fucking walls of text to their own posts. Anyone who does multiple posts like that is bonkers.

Amused trolls just do shit like pop their head in at the start and say "btwimagurl," and then check back later cause they're just as sad as the people they're trolling. Personally I have a bad habit of trolling people IRL (especially all my christian family) and I have fun with it, but doing it online doesn't really do anything for me.
>>
>>16956812
>irrevocably derailed
OP, pay attention because simple phrases like this are how we communicate here on /x/. Even the slightest hint at a truly unique idea can set in motion a sequence of events that nobody can ever predict.

Our unity is one of mutual disrespect for all beliefs.
>>
about those threads like AMA, reading threads, I can't figure out if the people who post in those threads are just having fun and playing along or seriously believe some 4channer is really shuffling tarot cards or divining someone someone over the freaking internet.

For a bunch of unbelievers you people sure love bullshit.
>>
>>16956143
This is edgy rp

No.16956601
>>
>>16956904
>For a bunch of unbelievers you people sure love bullshit.
Most of /x/ is too young to know WHAT they believe.
>>
>>16956577
Well, welcome to earth. How you like it?
>>
>>16956887
I'm not sure if you're being regular sarcastic or some sort of meta-sarcastic that I haven't heard of yet...

Thread derailment is a real thing. The whole reason threads exist at all is to help keep subjects specific. If I start a thread about alien technology and when it gets archived it's 90% christfag flamewar, am I disrespecting christfags by thinking they should have left the thread alone? If I'm talking in the other room about something that upsets you, and you just walk in and punch me in the face - who is the bigger cunt?
>>
>>16957623
This guy gets it.
>>
>>16956143
Generally if a story keeps escalating I consider it bullshit. The only believable ones really are the ones that end in a kind of boring mundane way and never really go anywhere much after the initial spooky bit.
>>
Don't be like a brick wall and reject everything. But don't be like a sponge and soak up and believe everything.

For me, I look at the writing style. But I read a LOT of books so I can rely on the experience of knowing different writing styles.

Ask: Is their writing style too much like a book?
"I was a ex marine. Me and my friend Naanook who is a Canadian native went camping. He was scared when we heard screaming in the woods but I kept my cool."

A) No story with a badass job is real. I have met many veterans in real life and I haven't met a single marine yet.

What are the odds a person who has a experience happens to have a job that is widely idolized that screams cool badass to teenagers?

B) The white savior saved the day. In the story I took that from Naanook is never given background or personality. He is treated like a character, a backdrop for main guy to save and add a body to fall to the monster.

Bad lines that show that he wasn't real were "he was scared" instead of something that mentions history like " I had never seen him so scared before, we grew up together and he usually tries to act like such a badass. Like when I put gum in a girls hair and he was brave and took the fall for me" Stupid things that and rambling that goes off track is actually a good sign it might be real and gives credibility.

Does it read like a real person telling their story? Like I said, rambling off track, told the way a person sitting in front of you might tell you what happened to them is very real. "The wind blew through her hair perfect as I drove the car down the road unaware of what was going to happen next." Sounds like a book. Its suspicious when they paid more attention to making it sound pretty rather than reading like a person just trying to get the words out as fast as they can.
Cont>
>>
Cont>
Do they tell realistic detail? Do they use real land marks and seak help in finding out what the event/thing was or if it happened in the same place before?

"We drove down x road, in the state/ country of x. Here's a map of the area we went to."
>>
>>16956577
You didn't come here during Roswell. How's life on Earth as an alien faggot?
>>
>>16957623
if your shit thread would have gotten 8 posts and instead went to the bump limit then you're disrespecting them by not thanking them
>>
>>16958324
This. A serious person asking a serious question typically wants to arrive at a serious answer and will provide as much information and detail as possible.
A roleplayer brings up a vague premise and eggs on the audience to keep the topic going for his own amusement.
>>
>>16956143
Discussion about a specific idea, or somebody that asks a question will normally be pretty obvious if it's legit or not.

99% of stories are probably bullcrap on here so I generally skip anything that is a story, rather it sounds legit or not.
>>
>>16956589
this is pretty true.

>>16956633
the same way you distinguish mental illness in general: use the DSM's diagnostic criteria.
>>
>>16956150
Implying you know any of those.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.