[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello friends, I've read as many of pic related's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /x/ - Paranormal

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: alanwatts.jpg (275 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
alanwatts.jpg
275 KB, 1252x1252
Hello friends,

I've read as many of pic related's books as I could get my hands on, listened to his Out of Your Mind lectures repeatedly in its entirety; I've found recordings of his lectures at colleges--the questions he gets and his answers are more interesting than his lectures sometimes. I come to ask if anyone has additional lectures, audio series, recordings, that cannot be found on Youtube or tpb.
>>
i am a medium. i can channel Alan Watts for you. what do you want to ask him?
>>
>>16932443

What's he think of Bernie Sanders?
>>
can anyone tell me what alan watts was all about? hes kinda an enigma
>>
>>16932561
He doesn't think, ya fool. Heh.
>>
>>16932366

It's been a while since I've thought about him. I was most into him in Highschool when I was sure zen was the answer to all things.

>>16932569

He's about zen philosophy as far as I could tell. He was cool before hipsters started claiming Taoism as their religion.
>>
File: 1439863154165.gif (2 MB, 277x342) Image search: [Google]
1439863154165.gif
2 MB, 277x342
>>16933089
>He was cool before hipsters started claiming Taoism as their religion.
>before hipsters
>yfw Alan was a hipster
>>
>>16933089

>When I was sure zen was the answer to all things

Yeah? And where are you at now, friend?

>>16932569

He's about more than just zen though. Maybe I'm not well read enough into Eastern religion or zen, but how often to you hear zen, or any religion for that matter, come out and say "You're god, and so am i."?

>>16933132

>Before hipsters

Protohipster? Hipster^2? The precopy undiluted man? Only you decide
>>
>>16933822
>where are you at now, friend?

That's a good question, I guess I'm not sure. I would say Watts made a lasting impact on me, even though I am egotistical, competitive and more western minded now I still can't deny that peace of mind truly exists and is attainable through zen more easily than it is through other philosophies.

>how often to you hear zen, or any religion for that matter, come out and say "You're god, and so am i."?

Not often, although vedic religions and Krishna himself certainly espoused that viewpoint. Which makes sense as vedic religion is the seed of buddhism which is the seed of zen. And eastern mysticism like that is also the seed of Christianity according to biblical scholars who agree Jesus was a Buddhist monk.
>>
You emerge out of this world no differently than a dream comes from a mind.
>>
You are no different from a song which pops into existence through nothing other than its means of creation, and you will eventually disappear into obscurity in the same way that the song no longer exists after it is sung.
>>
You are the song being sung through the mouth of the universe
>>
When you sing a song, are those words you or are you those words? When the world produces a being, is that creature the world or is the world that creature?
>>
Never heard of this man until a read a quote from him describing Indra's net. Immediately after reading that quote, I browsed /x/ and here I am. How's that for a coincidence?
>>
>>16934313

>Implying there's such a thing as coincidence

From my observations, /x/ seems to go in waves from genuine spiritual discussion, to tulupas and psychic magicks.

>>16933949

I suppose I meant to ask 'Does the typical Westerner (American, for me) have any idea that certain religions/schools of thought indicate that "we are all god"?' When I had the thought many years ago, before I had heard of Alan Watts, or anything other than Catholicism, really, I figured I was onto something new, or that I was going crazy. The former is absolutely untrue, as in the Vedas; the latter has yet to be determined.

>>16934229
>>16934249
>>16934258
>>16934288

I like these; thanks Anon.
>>
File: 1424195301226.png (29 KB, 398x394) Image search: [Google]
1424195301226.png
29 KB, 398x394
>tfw enlightenment is not what they said it would be
>>
File: 2139012873132.jpg (29 KB, 663x422) Image search: [Google]
2139012873132.jpg
29 KB, 663x422
>>16935857
>>
>>16935696
>'Does the typical Westerner (American, for me) have any idea that certain religions/schools of thought indicate that "we are all god"?'

The idea that you are God has been heavily conflated with Satanism in western society (because claiming godhood is considered sacrilege) and if not that, it's labeled "New Age".

The closest people have come to popularly accepting their godhood lately has been "manifestation" like that popularized by Eckhart Tolle books. The belief that they will acquire things in life if they simply believe in it enough because they are innately tied to the fabric of reality and 'God' the source of all things.
>>
>>16934313
he didnt happen to say something along the lines of each jewel being conciousness and the reflection of all the other jewels in each jewel to be the subconcious, did he?
>>16935696
well those are the things we want.
/x/ just wants to be a place where we can talk about them.
it wants us to be happy, but whether or not we actually are is up to whether or not we can get along and actually discuss the truth.
/x/ cries to me sometimes.
>>
File: exstatic.jpg (30 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
exstatic.jpg
30 KB, 600x337
>>16935857
>tfw enlightenment is everything they said it would be and more.
i bet you're one of those guys who wanted to disappear into nothingness instead of try to be a better person.
>>
File: bliss.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
bliss.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>16937636
>mfw i get to be a better person because the nothingness disappears into me
>>
I was way disappointed in that movie Her that the Joaquin Phoenix character didn't want to talk to the Alan Watts AI. What a wasted opportunity.
>>
>>16937844

I know, right? Still, it was pretty cool for a "cameo," at least it got his name out there. McKenna and other contemporaries seem to be more in the public's vocabulary, but I much prefer Watts, and would like to hear his ideas in media.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.