[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PC Stuttering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: cpu.png (36 KB, 784x343) Image search: [Google]
cpu.png
36 KB, 784x343
Hey /wsr/

So I was here last week and asked about my pc stuttering since I've upgraded it.
My new components are:
16GB (2x 8192MB) G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3400 DIMM CL16-18-18-36 Dual Kit
Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger Intel Z170 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX
Intel Core i7 6700K 4x 4.00GHz So.1151

As soon as there's network traffic my PC stutters, meaning it freezes for really short periods of time it is really noticeable because the sound is crackling due to it.

I've notice that as soon as there is network traffic, one of my CPUs always goes to 100% (especially when I download something, when just casually browsing it just spikes)

Yesterday I did a test with Prime95 for two hours, my CPU usage obviously went to 100% on all cores and for the whole duration there was no stuttering (I listened to music to make sure of it, I didn't use my PC otherwise in that time)

My CPU is properly cooled and sitting at about 30°C spiking to 55°C when I did the test.
Last week someone suggested that I update my drivers, instead of using the ones off the CD, so I did and thought that it helped but it only seemed to help as I needed to reboot and the problem only occurs when my PC is running for some time.

tl;dr: Somehow, (after my PC has been running for a little while) when I have network traffic (one of my cores goes to 100% and) my PC completely freezes for really short periods.
>>
>>85494
Also in the image, CPU2 has gone up to 100% while I was downloading, after the download was finished it instantly dropped back down.
>>
Anyone?
>>
>>85494
My guess is some sort of bitcoin miner. Maybe it seems unlikely to you, but I consider myself smart at computering and I got one too. Could you run a MalwareBytes scan please.
>>
>>85663
Thanks for suggesting that but I know for a fact that my system is clean.

FYI I am a software developer, I'm just not too skilled in the hardware side of computers (as in problem like this shit)
>>
>>85663
>>85684
Also, its not like my network traffic goes up randomly.

I actively do something (download games on steam, navigate to some webpage, ...) and then the stuttering starts.
>>
>>85663
Anyways, for your satisfaction I did a scan and it turned up with the result that my system is clean.
>>
Run safe mode or another OS and see if the problem persists?
>>
>>85705
Could try that but the problem only occurs after a while, I restarted my PC.
For example, about an hour ago and it's still not happening.
>>
>>85494
Do you know what process spikes when your network is active? Use resource monitor or something and keep it open to monitor which processes are spiking. Is also useful to see what processes are sending data over the network if you sort by total bytes in the network section.
You can monitor both at the same time by just having the CPU and Network sections expanded in the overview tab.
>>
>>85880
There is no unusual traffic.

What I have noticed that I have a lot of system interrupts when my network traffic spikes.

I might post a screenshot of latmon later on but I just started my PC.
To test it I just started downloading a game and my CPU0 goes up to 35-45% and I don't have the stuttering problem yet.

I also did all the skylake bug tests I could find to try and intentionally freeze my PC but it doesn't happen.
>>
>>86176
Another thing you could try is alternating between a wireless and ethernet connection if that is possible. Might be able to flag up if it is specific with a certain network interface meaning it might be driver related.
>>
File: latmon.png (36 KB, 1789x453) Image search: [Google]
latmon.png
36 KB, 1789x453
So here's latmon results from 5+ hours.

It says on there that I should disable wlan adapters if I have any (I don't) and that I should disable CPU throttling (One of the first things I did after upgrading)

dxgkrnl.sys seems to have been running because I had a game running for the whole duration.
I also had videos running on YouTube which (whenever a new video loaded and there was more buffering) made the game un-fucking-bearable to watch/play.
>>
>>86475
>highest reported DCP routine execution time: nids.sys
That seems to stick out on there. Are a few things when googling that that match up with problems that you said were happening. Give these a look there may be a solution somewhere within for you.
http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/52935-network-usage-causes-high-dpc-latency.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/ndis-sys-causing-serious-latency-problems.146366/
http://forum.sysinternals.com/ndissys-high-dpc-latenecy-high-dpc-cpu-usage_topic20669.html
>>
>>86519
I've read through most of this and i don't really know if anything would help, I'm going to try the stuff people suggested.

I've also just installed another driver for my network adapter and so far it looks good, but that could also be because I just restarted my system again.
>>
>>86519
>>86475
The thing that stuck out is that it took two whole seconds to swap in a page.

That's ridiculous.

OP, how much RAM do you have? You shouldn't see swap latency like that unless your IO is absolutely saturated.
>>
>>86602
16GB DDR4-3400

Processes with the highest pagefault counts:
Steam, Firefox, Bitdefender, explorer and Latmon itself
My highest pagefault time currently is 504153µs
>>
I've had the same problem, and it was when I had a avast internet security firewall installed.
>>
>>86622
I only have bitdefender installed, no extra firewall or anything
>>
>>86624
Try disabling bitdefender temporarily, as it might have a background service running.
>>
>>86625
I've tried that before and it didn't work.
I could try it again later but for now everything is still OK after my restart 2:23 hrs ago
>>
>>86611
That's 504ms, or half a second. An unloaded $30 laptop disk can do 30ms.

These figures are not right. What's your total commit?
>>
>>86625
>>86628
What the hell...
So I've started the download again and it was stuttering worse than ever before.
I thought OK lets disable bitdefender and it really got better.
So then I enabled bitdefender again, it stayed good, no stuttering now.

>>86636
What do you mean with total commit?
>>
>>85494
This is probably admitting defeat, but how about replacing your NIC with an Intel PCIe card?
>>
>>86639
I thought about it but that would require me to buy one since I don't have one laying around, now with the Easter weekend coming up that might be hard to do but I'll see, if the problem persists till Saturday I might buy one.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.