[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just built a new computer and I turn it on and nothing is showing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
Just built a new computer and I turn it on and nothing is showing up on the monitor.
Everythings plugged in right and I tried switching out video cards and tried out different monitors but still nothing. I even tried plugging in a monitor into the integrated graphics on the motherboard and still nothing.
Everything is running inside just fine from what I can see; fans and all are working. Im at a loss here what do you nerds say?
>>
I would try to plug the monitor into a different computer and see if it works. Then plug the computer into a different monitor to see if it works. Doing that will allow you to see which of the two is causing the problem, and then you can attack the problem from there.
>>
>>79943
I had tried plugging in a monitor I was already using on another computer that I know works. So at this point I know it has to be something in the computer itself. I just dont know how to narrow it down. At this point I'm assuming its something in the motherboard itself but apart from that I have no clue.
>>
>>79942
did you connect the right cables to the right thingy?

I made that mistake on my first build.
>>
>>79951
I want to say I did, I tried rechecking the wires and even went to the instruction manual so I wouldnt fuck anything up.
>>
>>79953
Dang, based on that and what you said about the monitor working, that sounds like a pretty difficult problem. Good luck
>>
>>79942
Did you make sure you plugged in the 4-pin power connector to the motherboard so that the CPU receives power? Same shit happened to me when I was building a PC not too long ago and I was trying all kinds of crazy shit before I realized how retarded I was.
>>
>>79967
the 4-pin power connector is the one that says CPU on the cable from the power supply and is usually located near where you pop in the CPU on the motherboard right? Ive got that in
>>
I've got pretty much the same problem, I salvaged a MoBo from a dell XPS 8500 my mother had.

Plugged in a new GTX 980.

Boot up the pc, doesn't boot up, try the old screwdriver trick, doesn't boot, shake a cord, the PC magicaly boots up.

Screen turns out black. I know electricity is going in the grafeex card, as it lights up and the fans work, but nothing is showing on my screen. Tried another screen, same shit. Should I plug in the old GFX and see how it works?
>>
>>79942
This is what we call "not POSTing" (POST stands for something, can't remember what, it's like the first thing the mobo does during boot)

Take out ram, blow in it. Try booting with just one stick of ram. Try every slot until it works. Then if it works, try with the other stick, assuming you have one, again in all slots.

If this fails, you can try swapping graphics card but you said you did that. Try on board graphics? Guessing you tried that as well though

Then obviously you can try looking at the cpu. Undo the cooler, pull it off, undo the cpu bracket, pull it out, then look at the pins to make sure none are bent. If one is, you can bend it back out with something like a razor blade, but obviously be very careful. Blow on it for good measure, reinstall it, then try booting again.

These are the most common problems I'm familiar with, usually they will fix the problem. Otherwise it could be something weirder. Sometimes it can be a bug on mobo firmware not supporting a particular video card, and then you have to flash the latest firmware of either the mobo or the video card. But try those initial things first.
>>
>>79973
I went and switched out the graphic card, now I can't boot up the PC because i can't seem to shake the cables right
>>
>>79974
By the way, source for this: I used to work in a computer factory. This shit happened all the time and 99% of the time it was either ram (most common) or cpu (less common). Then that firmware thing happened like once I think. Maybe twice I can't remember.

>>79983
Protip: it shouldn't require you to shake the damn cables to work. Maybe the mobo is just fucked. Or not plugged in properly.
>>
>>79983
Or maybe the psu is fucked. Shit it could be anything. This is why you've gotta go through things one by one and work out what the fuck is going on.
>>
>>79989

The CPU isn't fucked since I tried it in the old case and it was working. I transfered everything in a new case and the PC stoppes working. The problem is with the mobo.

>>79987

I know it shouldn't require it, but I tried the screwdriver test on the F_Panel pins and the power never seems to work. I plugged in the Power SW in the spot it's supposed to go into and it didn't work either.
>>
>>79989
I also tried the paperclip test,PSu is working.

Now, I got it to magicaly boot up agai with the old GFX and the screen is still black.

Maybe the PCI express port is fucked. Is there a way to test for it?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.