[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Resetting Old Computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
Alright. My younger brother came home with 2 old computers that he got from his school's IT Room. They've upgraded 4 times since they last used these, and were going to throw them out. My desktop recently fell to shit, so he got these as a replacement. Good natured kid.

However. These computers are old and run like shit. While I wait for parts to come in for my current desktop, I plan to fiddle around with these. Maybe replace some of the old parts, take it apart and put it back together, etc.

Basically, I wan't to know what the safest and easiest route to clearing the Hard Drive is. Maybe even turn off some of the start up processes? The computer is set up to revert to a set point every time it reboots. Anything installed or downloaded is gone. I want to get rid of this, as well as completely wipe the hard drive. Any help?

I'm running Windows 7 and I do not have the Admin Password. Pic related. It's a Lenovo Thinkpad T400.
>>
>>78945
"wiping the harddrive" implies a reformat
>>
>>78950
cont.

Which would require reinstalling an OS. With that done it would be as new, software wise.
>>
Laptop parts are mostly not field replaceable, unless you for whatever reason carry around SODIMM ram and it's not soldered in, you can change that.

DBan the shit and install a linux distro of your choice.
>>
>>78993
>field replaceable
>>
>>79005
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-replaceable_unit
>>
>>79010
I bet your rig is full of them.

I bet you take it out into the field.
>>
File: 1451060864783.jpg (38 KB, 624x531) Image search: [Google]
1451060864783.jpg
38 KB, 624x531
>>79019
Why are you even posting?
>>
if its windows 8 or 10 the license key is stored in the bios and can be reused. if windows 7 its on a sticker somewhere on the laptop. if winxp just get winxp black edition off a public tracker of your choice. I would kill to have free old computers to fuck with imo desu senpai
>>
Keep in mind hardware does not last forever even with maintenance.
>>
btw if u can get the windows 7 license off the sticker just use that. if not buy a win7 license for 15 bucks off reddit or kinguin. use the digitalriver mirror(s) to get legit isos. if what I've said makes no sense to you then you don't deserve these computers and should probably go outside and play with some sticks and rocks or something.
>>
>>79023
Without anyone telling you, how else will you know you're acting like a fifteen-year-old?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.