[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to set up windows but once I click new it won't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: 20160102_173732.jpg (904 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160102_173732.jpg
904 KB, 2560x1440
I'm trying to set up windows but once I click new it won't let me install on that drive because it "couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one" help me out?
>>
File: 20160102_173746.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160102_173746.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
Part 2
>>
Have you tried reformating everything?

If that doesn't work burn Gparted on a disc and boot into it. Then delete everything and create a new partition table, and make your partitions from there. Then try installing Win again.
>>
>>23961
Does your computer use bios or uefi?
>>
>>24008
>>24010
I've formatted the drive three times already and nothing, and I have bios
>>
>>24012
Ok. Let's try and manually clean the hard drive and create a new partition table. This will erase all data on the hard drive.

- While in the windows setup, press Shift+F10 and a terminal should open up.
- Type "diskpart" and press enter
- Type "list disk" and press enter
- Find out the disk number for the SSD (based on size)
- Type "select disk X" where X is the your SSD's disk number and press enter
- Type "convert mbr" and press enter
- Type "clean" and press enter
- Close out the terminal and try to install
>>
>>24016
Aw shit didn't know Windows setup had a built in partition manager
I always did shit like that through Gparted
>>
>>24018
Gparted is much easier to use though, but sometimes, windows only likes its own tools. Let me know if the above solution works for you.
>>
>>24019
I just did what you said, rebooted got to the same part and it still gave me the "couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one"
>>
>>24022
Ok. I found what is most likely the issue. Windows 10 looks at the BIOS Boot order to determine where to put the "boot loader" and it refuses to put it on a removable device.

Set your bios to boot the SSD first (even though it's empty). Then when the computer is starting up start the BOOT MENU (Usually F10, F11 or F12). This will allow you to boot from the flash drive.
>>
File: 20160102_184320.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160102_184320.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>24024
Like this?
>>
>>24031
Yes. I wouldn't recommend having the USB be on the Boot Sequence at all. Just make sure that you manually use the Boot Menu to boot off of the usb rather than changing the BIOS Boot Sequence.
>>
>>24031
I just retried but it still gave me the same error
>>
>>24038
Ok. Let's try another solution.

When you boot off the usb for the Win 10 setup, when the welcome screen shows up, remove the usb and re-insert it.
>>
>>24042
It's not windows 10, it's windows 7
>>
>>24044
I mistyped. The steps should still be the same.
>>
File: 20160102_185429.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160102_185429.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1440
>>24045
Did it threw me this code and once I put it back in and pressed next it gave me the code from last time
>>
>>24053
Ok, it sounds like it's still trying to install it to the usb drive. Are you sure you are using the Boot Manager to boot from the USB drive?

This is what you should be doing if you are using the boot manager.
- Computer turns on
- You mash F9, F10, whatever the key kis
- The boot manager should appear with a list of devices
- You use the keyboard to select the USB drive and press enter

Does this sound like what you are doing?
>>
>>24054
Yes
>>
>>24057
>>24057
Let's try these steps in order from a fresh reboot of the win7 setup.

- Remove all partitions on the drive by following the steps I discussed above (the diskpart one)
- Unplug the USB drive.
- Click Next. You will get:
- Windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error: 0x80300001.
- Replug the USB drive.
- Click Refresh
- Click Next.

Click refresh/next a few times if it doesn't work the first time.
>>
>>24058
Pressed refresh and next 5 times still nothing
>>
>>24065
Interesting. Sorry that I'm having some trouble helping you. Let's try creating an active, or bootable, partition on the SSD and seeing if that will work.

- Start DISKPART.
- Type LIST DISK and identify your SSD disk number (from 0 to n disks).
- Type SELECT DISK <n> where <n> is your SSD disk number.
- Type CLEAN
- Type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
- Type ACTIVE
- Type FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK
- Type ASSIGN
- Type EXIT twice (one to get out of DiskPart, the other to exit the command line tool)

Try this and then also try and remove the USB and reinsert it like how I previously described it, if it doesn't work.
>>
>>24065
Also try and switch around the USB ports. If it was plugged into one port, put it back in another when you re-insert it.
>>
>>24065
Also, make sure that your BIOS is using AHCI for your SATA devices and NOT IDE/legacy
>>
>>24069
Also, when you re-insert the usb, cancel the setup and return to the welcome screen (by pressing the X button probably). Then run the setup again (don't reboot)
>>
File: 20160102_192407.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160102_192407.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
I got here but it reads the drive as a system type but I still get the error
>>
>>24078
Let's move to a more real-time communication platform where I can get feedback from you more frequently without these captchas.

I am here:
http://www.disposablechat.com/chat/wsr-win7help?password=

If you don't want to do the chat, I also understand.
>>
>>24078
Hey anon. I lost you in the chat. Did you mean to disconnect?
>>
It looks like the OP has left. For any of you playing along at home, here is what OP has done so far:

- Dell Vostro 230
- Set the SSD as the first boot device in the boot sequence >>24031
- Cleaned the disk and made sure it was using MBR
- Tried the old remove and reinsert usb trick (this gave the most promising result) >>24053 I would recommend following up with this and seeing if he can replicate it the 0x80300001 error and starting from there.
- He can't enable AHCI/RAID (it may be the default though)
>>
>>23961
had this problem a few weeks ago.
was windows previously installed on that drive?
anyway. the windows formater dosent delete everything. not even diskpart.

i downloaded gparted on a usb stick and formated my drite there first.
>>
>>24118
The windows partition manager should be good enough for what he is doing. It can even 0 the entire drive, which might be something OP want to try.

Run "clean all" in diskpart after you select the disk, then "convert mbr"
>>
>>24119
I thought OP already Zeroed the drive, my mistake. Thats what i had to do After i zeroed the drive with the buildt inn partition mannager anyway
>>
>>24122
Yeah. I am personally a Linux guy myself, but windows diskpart is just so convenient because it's already on the bootable install usb that OP has.

OP seems to have gone away though, so not much more we can help him with.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.