[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Malware Removal & CPU Spike Management
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
File: 1451246731799.jpg (407 KB, 746x982) Image search: [Google]
1451246731799.jpg
407 KB, 746x982
Alright so /wsr/ I use a shared family computer and inevitably it has ended up getting a virus due to family not following my instructions.

The operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Service pack 1.

For a long time I've used "the holy trinity" of Malware Bytes, Spybot S&D, and CCleaner (even though it's not really for malware removal.) to clean up computers due to my reluctance to try new programs.

I noticed my CPU usage was spiking without any telling signs in the process list and my scan turned up an infected Windows Host file.

I quarantined and removed, but upon rebooting and doing a follow-up scan (with and attempt to find rootkits) I turned up the infected file again.

After some furthering reading and a bit of desperation I decided to use Malware Bytes, Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, Hitman Pro for a temporary trial, and I even considered installing Avast opposed to using Microsoft Security Essentials.

After removing the infected host files again I used Your Uninstaller! to remove any torrented software, ran Microsoft "Fix It" tool to replace the host files, and kept searching for methods to follow-up.

I need suggestions on software for malware removal, anti-virus, and anything to check into why my CPU usage spikes without any programs actively running aside from Puush or NvBackend.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>21582
1 get rid of hitman
2 get rid of spy bot
3 download stinger, http://www.mcafee.com/uk/downloads/free-tools/stinger.aspx

Run windows in safe mode and run stinger.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 524x632) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 524x632
>>21587
>stinger is still a thing
Sometimes the world is still good.
>>
>>21587
>Run windows in safe mode and run stinger.
Ideally, you'd get a clean PC, make a Windows installer USB for the version you're fixing, copy stinger.exe onto it, and then boot directly into the installer and run it from the alt-f11 command-prompt.

Then when you're done, stick the stick in a clean Linux machine and fill it with zeroes.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.