[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone plz explain to what being "ironic" means?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: dog.jpg (54 KB, 1204x960) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
54 KB, 1204x960
Can someone plz explain to what being "ironic" means? Like if someones says "Hipsters are just being ironic" as an insult or someone says "I non-ironically believe this." Im trying but i just dont get what it means.
>>
>>156468
Ironic = liking something because it's shit
>>
>>156468
Pretending to show a certain stance in an obvious way to mock it.
>>
that dog is hipster
>>
File: irony.jpg (69 KB, 649x382) Image search: [Google]
irony.jpg
69 KB, 649x382
>Like if someones says "Hipsters are just being ironic"
Ironically enjoying something refers to pretending to like something as a joke. Normally people don't like shitty things, they don't bother with them or talk about how much they dislike them, yet hipsters and other irony enthusiasts will make a big show of enjoying these shitty things because it's the opposite of what people expect. The gist is to be contrary to expectations. So applied to beliefs, it means holding beliefs that people would consider ludicrous or not serious solely because doing so is unexpected and therefore humorous.

>"I non-ironically believe this."
A trendy way of affirming your belief in something. It's basically just another hipsterism, but saying "unlike those OTHER hipsters who only believe X ironically, I'm actually serious about it."
>>
Irony is a concept that is very commonly misunderstood and misused. Just listen to Alanis Morissette - Ironic. Almost none of the situations she describes are ironic.

Irony is when a fire station burns down.
Basically: There is an expectation, but the opposite happens.

Your example with the hipsters just means, they defy expectations and knowingly behave the opposite way of what's expected. Basically, they're contrarians. The problem with this idea is that it stands to reason they like being hipsters (otherwise - why do it?). But if being a hipster entails behaving a certain way and liking certain stuff - that would all be non-ironic, since they actually want to be hipsters...
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.