[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking for an alternative to VLC. For some reason the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: VLC_Icon.svg.png (272 KB, 904x1024) Image search: [Google]
VLC_Icon.svg.png
272 KB, 904x1024
I'm looking for an alternative to VLC. For some reason the picture freezes, turns grey and gets pixelated every few minutes when I try to watch a movie.
>>
>>136948
Mpc
>>
>>136956
OK, thanks, I'll give it a try. I just tried PotPlayer, but the colors look fucking terrible.
>>
File: Spidey Comparison.png (2 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Spidey Comparison.png
2 MB, 1366x768
>>136948
Here's my (very rough) comparison between VLC, PotPlayer and MPC. I think PotPlayer might actually look best seeing them side-by-side. Any suggestion for ways to make a more accurate comparison? I get a bit OCD about this shit.
>>
>>136966
you can actually configure all that shit however you want. some people will recommend mpv, but mpc-hc is probably the best platform to upgrade. if you want to get the best result, you have to install a clean mpc-hc and upgrade with the madVR renderer (maybe add some other stuff for snycing), sink some hours into a really good colour calibration and shit. if you want a good combination out of the box, try CCCP. the combined community codec pack is a pre-configured mpc-hc. from my experience the colours looks more like vpc in your screen shot with a little less red. i definitely notice and dislike the yellow-ish skin colours on other players.
>>
>>136970
Thank you very much! I'll give it a try.
>>
I tried MPC-HC but thought it was shit. There is something very ghetto about it, it almost feels like abandoned software, it's got that Foobar2000 feeling to it.

The screenshot/preview feature was pretty cool, but that's really all it's got going for it. VLC already has multiple codecs built-in, and with all the available skins and plugins, it's a no-brainer imho. Honestly, you probably just need to reinstall the thing.

https://alternativeto.net/software/vlc-media-player/
>>
>>136966
adjust the colors to your screen....
>>
>>137043
mpc-hc has all the same codecs, possibly more. both players use ffmpeg libraries. nobody needs to install individual codecs anymore. literally 99.9% of free audio/video software uses ffmpeg libraries.

but yeah. by default it's not a flashy player and i like it that way. then again - i am indeed a guy who runs both mpc-hc and foobar2000 (although with the latter - if it looks like crap, you have nobody to blame but yourself. it literally has the most customizable GUI short of writing a player yourself).
>>
>>137053
i thought MPC needed codecs from a third party, i don't remember it running much out of the box
>>
>>137072
that was a long long time ago when codec packs were still a thing :-)
>>
>>137075
It's been about 8-9 months ago that i previously used it, has it really changed that much since? I still wouldn't use it
>>
>>137083
i installed it as a test 2 years ago and it did everything o.O
>>
>>137083
well MPC supports more file formats out of the box than VLC so you did something wrong or you are trolling.

Also did you use MadVR as well?

anyhow VLC is great for streaming but shit for local playback and seeking sucks too, the vast majority of people use MPC but you are entitled tou use whatever you like and have your own opinion and you did start a thread and ask for others to give theirs
>>
http://haruhichan.com/forum/showthread.php?7545-KCP-Kawaii-Codec-Pack#k_adv

not been updated for a while ut you can just overwrite with newer files
>>
>>137085
>>137119
i don't think it created thumbnails for certain files
>>
>>137122
why should it? it's a playback software, not a thumbnail creation software. i'd be more worried if your player goes around and randomly creates thumbnails all over the place...
>>
>>137122
I believe it has that in the options. honestly mate with every dismissive comment you give to someones answer you are sounding more like a troll who know people here use MPC.

so im just going to say Fuck off Faggot and use WMP
>>
>>137135
No need to be childish, you still need codecs to get thumbnail previews. With VLC that's already taken care of.
>>
>>137135
yeah, it's getting a bit strange. first we were debating video playback and now we're on some sort of completely unrelated thumbnail tangent, as if that system feature was even handled by the playback software... i don't think he's trolling, i believe he just doesn't have a clue. you know, the sort of user that has hidden file extensions...
>>
>>137121
Or you can just not bother with bloated, depreciated codec packs because MPC comes with basically everything you need already installed. You technically don't even need MadVR, it's just highly recommended.
>>
>>137083
>It's been about 8-9 months ago that i previously used it
Yeah no that's bullshit. MPC-HC has had a full codec suit with its basic installation for years now. The only plugins you install now are for optimization and quality tweaking.
>>
the only way to know for sure is if someone actually uninstalled mpc and any related codecs, and then reinstall it through basic to see how it functions, both playback and thumbnails
>>
>>137147
Sigh, i understand it has the word codec in the title but its just an installer for MPC, MadVR, XySubfilter and LavFilters

its not a codec pack but you didnt even click on it to find that out did you.
>>
MPV
P
V

>>136970
>some people will recommend mpv, but mpc-hc is probably the best platform to upgrade
HAHA, OH WOW.

https://mpv.io/manual/master/
>>
>>137142
He's probably talking about the DirectShow filters VLC comes with.
>>
>not using ccccp and mpc-hc
>>
File: file not found.png (391 KB, 757x1000) Image search: [Google]
file not found.png
391 KB, 757x1000
>>136956
Hard to create playlists
Can't open files in multiple folders
Won't even open IT'S OWN FUCKING FILES

I feel like it was made by monkeys. It's good only if you want to watch individual shows, if you use it for say, MMD it's pretty terrible.
>>
>>137390
>being a dirty commie
>>
>>137390
I used to use CCCP, but it started acting like a faggot
I use K-Lite and its been great
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.