[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need more internets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 6
File: House internet scheme.jpg (80 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
House internet scheme.jpg
80 KB, 1000x750
What is wrong with my internet? When I try to use internet in more than one room they all keep restarting and don't connect. I have to physically disconnect the other routers from the phone jacks in all other rooms to just use one. That means I can only use one at a time but all my family members' televisions, computers and smartphones need their internets. Fuck....
>>
File: 1464729214200.png (181 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1464729214200.png
181 KB, 700x700
If you have DSL you should have the modem/filter on the first telephone outlet. To it you connect the router (unless it's combined with the modem). This serves as the one and only exit point from your LAN to the Internets.

Everything else will be connected to this one router. This means you'll have to pull cables from the router to everything else needing Internets, or come up with a wireless solution.

The best option is to fuck it all and move out of your parents' basement.
>>
>>133395
>>133376
1) remove all routers apart from one.
2) get powerline adapter for every room
3) plug remaining router into powerline adapter
4) plug every PC into a powerline adapter
5) if there's a PC in the same room as the router, plug it into the router
6) put any phones, laptops, etc. on the router's wireless
7) if there's any deadspots in the house, add a powerline adapter and a wireless access point
8) done
>>
File: 1464903303590.jpg (70 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
1464903303590.jpg
70 KB, 1000x750
1) Use only one router.
2) Connect all the televisions, computers and smartphones on the router's wifi (wireless)

There won't be any problem if the router's wifi signal is strong enough, and any current router should be strong enough to reach at least 3 floors.
>>
File: Repeater.jpg (94 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
Repeater.jpg
94 KB, 1000x750
If the signal is not strong enough, you can connect a repeater to the first router's wifi.
A repeater is a router that can "repeat/re-send" the main router's signal, much like a checkpoint.
>>
File: House internet scheme.jpg (97 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
House internet scheme.jpg
97 KB, 960x720
Would it be possible to put some kind of internet device (like a switch or hub) into the phone line box so that I could still make use of the phone jacks in the rooms and use several routers - so that I won't have lan cables going up and down the stairs and laying around on the floors? My wifi doesn't reach very well into different rooms.
>>
>>133481
You can only use one internet connection per phone line or it'll keep restarting, as you said before.
You could probably use your router as a switch/hub with some adapters to use your phone cables (RJ11) as if they were lan cables (RJ45), but you'd lose in speed/quality if you use too many adapters, and it's not practical.
You could replace your phone cables with lan cables.
You could use a wifi powerline adapter.
>>
>>133645
>>133481
Cat4 is 10mbps; on the freak occurrence that the wiring can be rejiggered into a star topology, you're looking at 10 megabit max; a hundredth of the speed proper cat5e network cable would get you.
>>
File: one router to rule them all.jpg (77 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
one router to rule them all.jpg
77 KB, 1000x750
>>133481
The solution is to run cable through your walls. Like this, this is pretty much the setup I have in my house.
>>
>>133376
It might be that the routers are all using the same local network address and you're connecting to multiple ones at once. Go into the settings and change them to unique ones like 192.168.1.0, 192.168.2.0, 192.168.3.0, 192.168.4.0
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.