[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinly veiled CRT and emulation thread. I had an old laptop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: mN9HOvxu2BvzEkcniG4fbrw.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
mN9HOvxu2BvzEkcniG4fbrw.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
Thinly veiled CRT and emulation thread.

I had an old laptop with Windows 7 unoccupied, and I found an old VGA to S-Video converter collecting dust, so I turned it into an emulation machine for my CRT setup to cover the console I don't have and some older PC games on DOSBOX.

As it is, it 'just werks', but poorly. It's locked on 800x600 and a rather low refresh rate. It's playable, but the image is blurry. Kinda misses the point of using the CRT TV at all.

So I decided to research for a proper VGA converter (pic not related). Hopefully, VGA to Component cables. One that would allow me the proper resolution and refresh rate so the emulator looks on TV as nice and crispy as my consoles.

I have a couple of questions on this.

- First of all, what kind of convertor do I need? Which specific specs should I look for?
- Is this setup only possible with CRT TVs that do Progressive image? Mine is capable, but I'm curious anyway.
- Requirements on the computer side. Is this doable on Windows 7 and any integrated Intel graphics card? (If not, I may consider building another PC for this out of spare parts) I mean, proper fullscreen resolution (320x240?) so games look as crispy (and as "faithful" as the original console) as possible on the CRT TV. If I set 320x240 as the fullscreen resolution on each emulator's settings, would that be enough, or should the entire OS be running on that resolution?

Most of all, any experience doing something similar (either VGA or HDMI -to- CRT TV for emulation), and recommendations of an specific converter, would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>3367848
>>>/vr/crt/
>>
>>3367848
>>3367861
>>>/vr/crt/
>>
I could have sworn I saw you post this earlier today. But like the others are saying, use the fucking general.
>>
>>3367848
CRT Emudriver.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.