[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come /vr/ doesn't have active shmup threads anymore?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10
File: shmupsoda.jpg (230 KB, 638x678) Image search: [Google]
shmupsoda.jpg
230 KB, 638x678
How come /vr/ doesn't have active shmup threads anymore?

Did all the /vr/ shmup fans go to /vg/?
>>
File: tharrier.png (14 KB, 224x256) Image search: [Google]
tharrier.png
14 KB, 224x256
What's the last shooting game you played?

Not retro: Exzeal
Probably my favorite of the Triangle Service games. Ship type 3 with its proximity scoring system is the best

Retro: Task Force Harrier
Played this on location at a nickel arcade yesterday. Pretty simple game, but fun. It even has default autofire.
>>
>>3363205

Elaborate on the meaning of this image to those of us that don't drink liquefied cancer.
>>
>>3363252
Pepsi > Coke > RC
>>
Don't bartardize Darius like that, it's more like sprite or something.
>>
>>3363205
Alright, so I've tried getting into R-Type several times but I just don't see the appeal. I've downloaded R-Types on ps1 but I can't grasp why people like them. People talk about a puzzle like element using the Force but even after watching videos it doesn't seem particularly critical.

So for you R-type fans out there, what do you like about it and why? What hooks you over other shmups?
>>
>>3363253
>>3363252
>>3363205
>food analogies
>>
>>3364015
>he thinks drinks are food

top kek
>>
>>3364024
You know what I mean, all these analogies are retarded.
>>
>>3363205
>going to /vg/
>EVER
>>
>>3363205
Britbong here

What's RC? Rola Cola?
>>
File: Xenon_2_-_Megablast_2.png (12 KB, 320x256) Image search: [Google]
Xenon_2_-_Megablast_2.png
12 KB, 320x256
i only play elite euro shoot'em ups
>>
File: Mar11-talisker175th-2.jpg (142 KB, 1058x900) Image search: [Google]
Mar11-talisker175th-2.jpg
142 KB, 1058x900
>Thunder Force
>>
>>3364063
royal crown. it's canadian. mixes well with crown royal.
>>
>>3364063
Royal Crown, I think
>>
File: 1459060652284.gif (3 MB, 200x180) Image search: [Google]
1459060652284.gif
3 MB, 200x180
>>3364075
Based Berkey
>>
>>3364069

>bottled in 2005

Not retro
>>
File: 1466143083460.gif (1 MB, 592x448) Image search: [Google]
1466143083460.gif
1 MB, 592x448
>>3363205
>comparing R-Type to Pepsi
you got a death wish or something?

that shit is straight nasty
>>
Thunder Force - Dr. Pepper
Otomedius - New Coke
Deathsmiles - Fanta
>>
i believe you mean ikaruga threads since no other shmup is worth playing in comparison
>>
File: XM.png (62 KB, 384x256) Image search: [Google]
XM.png
62 KB, 384x256
>>3365030

Ikaruga > all

but Irem shooters are still worth playing, anon.
>>
>>3365021
Xexex - Vanilla Coke
>>
>>3365030
Battle garegga disagrees with you
>>
>>3363205

Probably the same reason why we don't have regular BST threads, why the GCCX threads seem to have died off, and why the CRT thread is mostly dominated by 1 person: a lot of the earlier, regular users of the board have probably left /vr.
>>
>>3365160

I'm here from day 1, and I participe irregularly in all of these threads. Except for BST.
I haven't posted on CRT in a long while, just lost interest and my TV is shit-tier and I use component anyway (and happy with it, but nobody would care on /crt/), and I post on /stg/ more frequently, but not always, the shitposting gets dense sometimes.
GCCX is cool though because you know you can always go there if you want to watch some kacho and get informed on lastest news, those shouldn't die. Even though I think I never posted on kacho threads, always lurk.
>>
>>3365160
I thought BST threads got banned because soliciting is against one of the global 4chan rules.
>>
>>3363205
I imagine because the shmuppers on this board are the most caustic autists out there, and they ruin every single thread when their SUPERIOR TASTE and BOUNDLESS SKILL are affronted by somebody else mentioning a game they don't like or an opinion that disagrees with their REFINED SENSIBILITY.

All you have to say is something like:

I like Ikaruga better than Radiant Silvergun!

I think Tyrian is a fun and enjoyable experience!

Not every shooter has to be one-hit death quarter-muncher Japanese-style!

I think Western shmups have their own value and are good in different ways to J-shmups!

Fuck bullet hell!

And so on, and the assholes come swarming out of the woodwork, foaming at the mouth, spewing nonsense like DODONPACHI SEMINAL GAMING EXPERIENCE 1CC CLEAR GET REKT BABBY
>>
>>3365535
Probably. Also GCCX threads should really be moved to /tv/ or /jp/, and CRT threads to /g/.
>>
File: 80465874.png (6 KB, 264x235) Image search: [Google]
80465874.png
6 KB, 264x235
>>3365640
Shut up, stupid.
>>
>>3363382
people are always blowing their loads over R-type, but i don't get it either. at least in the earlier iterations, the gameplay feels lugubrious (thanks in part to miles between check-points) and the slow pacing. that would be fine if it didn't have the normal "gotchas" of horizontal shmups, punishing you heavily for mistakes you have to learn first. /vr/ always compares it to Gradius which i've always preferred. yes it suffers from 1-death-hell (extremely hard to recover late game) but at least you can generally power-up faster and have more control over them. i never found the little orb in R-type to be very useful or fun either, most of the time i don't detach it because it's distracting and stressful.

i don't get the R-Type hype machine other than you liked it as a kid, which is legit, but it's kinda frumpy. would take Darius over it any day -- feels similar but more successful.
>>
File: pweez.jpg (43 KB, 400x285) Image search: [Google]
pweez.jpg
43 KB, 400x285
>>3365627
but i really like shmups, i always look for a General but i'm too afwaid to start my own ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
>>
>>3365627
>I like Ikaruga better than Radiant Silvergun!
me irl
>>
>>3365090
>Battle garegga disagrees with you

Any shmup where you have to die on purpose in order to keep the difficulty at playable levels is automatically disqualified from being allowed to be called "good".
>>
>>3365535
BT threads had been going on here for quite some time. It wasn't like they popped up and disappeared. They even had a set FF-based OP image with the rules. As long they stayed on-target with retro games I see no reason for them not to be included, as long as they don't deal in items outside the board scope or end in COME SEE MY EBAY AUCTION! advertisements.

>>3365640

While I can understand your point, CRT threads are another thing that has been here for a long time and deal with an important aspect of playing old games - displaying them.
>>
>>3366037
People have no missed garegga senpai
>>
>>3366037
>he doesn't 1cc garegga at max rank
what a piece of shit
>>
>>3363205
I disagree on the cola/Pepsi thing. No one my age seems to have played ANY shooter game of that era. Grading, Thunder Force, Xevious. Erased from everyone's memory.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.