[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
gameshark
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_0012.jpg (76 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0012.jpg
76 KB, 540x720
What causes these things to not boot or to hang during use? It is something that, with the power of internet,schematics and a soldering iron, could be repaired to make these things actually useful?
>>
Clean up its contacts
>>
>>3362893
Not sure. I have a dead 2.2 myself. Luckily, my 3.0 still works. Oddly enough, when you plug the 3.0 into the 2.2, it will boot up. It's fucking weird.
>>
Many games need the right keycode, and it doesn't come with all of them. SM64 is my go-to, because the default keycode always works and you can use that game to switch keycodes.

Many games also need a "master code" in order for the game to boot after visiting the GS main menu. Those can be harder to find for JP games, whereas some other keycode will usually work.

Definitely try to get v3.2 or 3.3, you can upgrade the firmware but I don't have any PC with a parallel port.
>>
I wish mine worked. I bought it second hand for a few bucks, and it's been locked up from the day I got it. Would be nice to have someone I could send it to or otherwise to reflash it or whatever.
>>
>>3362893
There was a way to "brick" these things(n64 gameshark). Something about changing something to make it compatible with a certain game it otherwise wouldn't be compatible. You had to do it with the gameshark on in the menu, then turn off the console. Then when you turn it back on you had to have that game on the top connector otherwise it wouldn't work. It had something to do with that button on the front I believe, but this was almost 20 years ago so don't quote me.

I know this sounds like some my dad works at Nintendo shit, but I tried it because I didn't believe it and it truly did stop my gameshark from working. I had got tired of infinite cash, no clipping and big head codes by then anyways so it was collecting dust.
>>
>>3363307
yeah it was called the keycode which is what >>3363025 is talking about

what I'M talking about is how it takes 15 tries to get it to start up, or how it crashes mid-game so often.
>>
>>3362893
Dirty contacts.
>>
The power of internet,schematics and a soldering iron has caused a lot of heartache and wasted a lot of time also, just saying.
>>
>>3363306
>wont boot
It is probably just waiting forever for the matching keycode game. Sometimes I'll trigger the zelda keycode and forget then wonder why goldeneye won't boot. You'd have thought they would use the GS button to reset the keycode back to SM64.

Also never plug an everdrive into a gameshark.

>>3363025
I did a v3.2 -> v3.3 upgrade about a month ago. Found a mothballed Windows ME machine in the cellar that still booted and had a parallel port. Burned a CD with the required software, stuck it into the ME and a few seconds later it was upgraded. I read you can use a PCI parallel port card with XP or 2k if it supports EPP and you use a port permissions driver (which is included in a lot of the sw downloads).
>>
>>3366130
I've tried every game I have and none of them match.

It has a parallel port on the back of it, is there a way to de-brick using that? My Thinkpad has a parallel port available and is running XP, would that be compatible with whatever software may be able to fix it? I don't want to have to pay to have another one shipped to me to risk it possibly being locked up as well.
>>
>>3366143
It needs to boot before you can flash or control it from pc. Check youtube for videos of people flashing via stacking like (OP) pic related. You a working gameshark to do it. The borked one get flashed at the same time as good one.

Here is the standard keycode list. You only need one matching game per keycode. If a keycode is set it will wait forever till a matching game is connected and appear borked.

GameShark Pro Version 3.3

Super Mario 64 & Others:
8F 89 AB A0 C3 4C 26 10 A4 - 80 18 00 00

Diddy Kong Racing
1080° Snowboarding
Kobe Bryant In NBA Courtside
MLB Featuring Ken Griffey Jr.
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest
Super Smash Bros.
Paper Mario
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium:
95 AC 21 BE 58 B0 4E F6 A8 80 20 10 00

Yoshi's Story
Cruis'n World
F-Zero X:
C4 6F 1B C2 6C 6C 1F 67 1D 80 20 04 00

Banjo-Kazooie
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Perfect Dark
Conkers Bad Fur Day
Jet Force Gemini:
A9 24 53 52 5F 73 77 37 7D 80 19 00 00
>>
>>3366156
I've seen all of that from googling trying to get it working, and haven't had any success.
I have at least one game from each of those lists, and have tried them multiple times.

To be specific:
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros.
Paper Mario
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium
F-Zero X
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Jet Force Gemini

Is it at all possible that it's just dead, or? Upon power on, the little read out comes up with an 8 and stays that way.
>>
>>3366256
Pretty sure its dead. Hence the purpose of this thread. Can these be repaired with a new cap/diode/IC?
>>
>>3366256
just buy one of those games and see what happens
>>
>>3368473
I listed all of those games that I have and have tried with it, and none of them have worked.
>>
>>3366130
What happens if you plug the ED into the GameShark?
>>
>>3362893
What would happen if you did something like in OP's picture. Or if you did it with Sonic and Knuckles carts? Would it even turn on?
>>
>>3368754
With Sonic and Knuckles, they just act like a passthrough.
But after a large stack, it requires too much voltage and you begin to get graphical glitches.
There was a video on this, but I can't find it again.
>>
>>3368750
The gameshark flashes itself with the bootloader from the everdrive and gets borked.
>>
My Game Genie for Snes never worked. For the longest time I thought it was just that Game Genie and it was shot but it worked perfectly in my friends Snes. I tried another one and that didn't work either. Weirdness.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.