[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MOTHER thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 11
File: ness.jpg (73 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
ness.jpg
73 KB, 640x640
because i believe this thread
always gonna shine again
i believe a pot of shitposts waits at every thread's end, oh
i believe in MOTHER threads kissed with art,
so why shouldn't i believe in /vr/?
i believe in MOTHER games
gimmick bosses and no localization
i (don't) believe in promises
given by NoA, oh
i believe in boards forever blue
so why shouldn't i believe the same in (You)?
you may say i'm a shitposter
writing a song in op
you can call me a summerfag
say i should never post again
i believe in good MOTHER threads and that's why i believe in /vr/!
>>
File: mother4a.png (4 KB, 227x180) Image search: [Google]
mother4a.png
4 KB, 227x180
Remember this fake Mother 4 screenshot made by a japanese fan? it's actually also a homage to another game, let's see if anyone here knows which one.
>>
>>3362125
Paperboy?
>>
>>3362149

No.

It's also an RPG, and japan-only.
>>
File: 20160128_171006000.jpg (156 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
20160128_171006000.jpg
156 KB, 720x1280
Hi I just wanted to say fuck that 'MOTHER 4' fan-game. Looks like it will never be released at this point though. so I can probably stop being so pissed about it. Maybe they'll get C&D'd.

Anyone else like MOTHER 1 the best of all 3?
>>
File: 1465504588383.jpg (26 KB, 320x425) Image search: [Google]
1465504588383.jpg
26 KB, 320x425
>>
>>3362192
They post semi-regular updates on their blog. I wouldn't call it dead yet.
>>
>>3362298
Shame. It bothers the shit out of me how they actually have the balls to call a starmen.net fan game 'MOTHER 4'. Isn't it like 3 years delayed at this point?
>>
>>3362308
It's a big project. It was stupid of them to promise release dates for a hobby project in the first place.

But idk why you have a hate boner for it. It looks promising.
>>
File: 1421032444913-1.jpg (380 KB, 1280x975) Image search: [Google]
1421032444913-1.jpg
380 KB, 1280x975
>>3362192
>>3362308
Nice shitpost my dude, mother 3 and 4 have nothing to do with /vr/.

Also you know Itoi knows it exists bit could give two shits right? In a interview tomato/Clyde Mandelin talked about how Itoi is both aware of the fan translation of Mother 3 and of Mother 4 and could care less
>>3362202
>>3362320
He's probably a shitposter, Mother 4 looks honestly high quality for a fan game. They can release it whenever, its free. Even if it did end up shit its free, who cares?
>>
>>3362320
If Itoi isn't involved it's not MOTHER. They should have just called it something else. The fan-base they've gathered for an released game is also supremely obnoxious.
>>
>>3362326
>muh tomato
>muh promising fan game

I really thought you guys were confined to reddit. Adios.
>>
>>3362335
So if mother 4 is so bad why doesn't itoi care then though?
>>
>>3362380
why should he, he stands neither to gain nor lose from it
>>
File: Gokinjo1.jpg (18 KB, 256x223) Image search: [Google]
Gokinjo1.jpg
18 KB, 256x223
>>3362125 here

Sorry, I didn't want to derail the thread with fangame shitposting.
But anyway, the homage was for Gokinjo Boukentai, a pretty charming and kind of Mother-esque RPG for the Super Famicom.
>>
File: images.png (3 KB, 86x96) Image search: [Google]
images.png
3 KB, 86x96
What a shit game.

I got meme'd by the positive consensus about this game.

The only good aspect about it it's the narrative and a really small selection of pieces from the soundtrack.
Everything else is terrible. The combat is the worst and most generic type of RPG turn based combat I've ever experienced.

The enemies are a joke. Pic related.
>non animated sprites drawn by a 5 year old kids
That's what the enemies look like. Actually, that's what every single character in the game looks like.
Rats, mushrooms, fleas, trees, slimes, taxi cabs, robots, sprouts, cavemen, hippies, ufos, bees. What a mess.

Also, having to be worrying about colds and mushroom dizziness for a very long portion of the game eliminates the only fun one could have while exploring the environment. If that wasn't enough to kill the joy of it, the random re-spawning enemies are another problem. Jesus, even it seems that the PP butterflies were placed to abuse that re-spawning problem.
It really made me wish I was playing on an emulator with save states.

Overall, shit game.
Even a turd can be seen as a masterpiece if judged by nostalgia.

And before some retard calls me out on wanting "le mature and gritty art style XD", that's not the case. Compare any Kirby's kiddy overall style to Earthbound. At least kirby is consistent and know what it wants to be.
>>
>>3362514

That 5 years old has pretty impressive pixel art skills.
>>
>>3362192
>>3362308

They probably have a backup plan of renaming the game and changing some of the assets in case Nintendo pulls that shit.

They're just milking the Mother name for publicity as long as possible. Having a blog post about Nintendo's C&D will even drive more publicity. It sounds crazy, and I may be wrong.
>>
>>3362541

>milking the Mother name for publicity

Publicity for what? The free fangame they're making and not profiting off of?
>>
>>3362571

Not him, but they could use the game for their CV.
>>
>>3362572
Yeah, and? You're expected to show off shit you've done like that.
>>
>>3362571
>The free fangame they're making and not profiting off of?

They may change the free part.
>>
File: new age retro.jpg (56 KB, 450x589) Image search: [Google]
new age retro.jpg
56 KB, 450x589
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx__zn7Mx4k
>>
>>3362607

They've spent such a long time repeatedly saying "it's free," they don't even have a patreon, you're looking for excuses to hate it.
>>
File: bartthedaredevil3.png (215 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
bartthedaredevil3.png
215 KB, 512x384
>>3362618
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgpKROVD90k
>>
File: punawayfive.png (296 KB, 1440x846) Image search: [Google]
punawayfive.png
296 KB, 1440x846
>>3362642
we groove now?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMiEZ7AvUD4
>>
File: 4side.png (626 KB, 2026x2026) Image search: [Google]
4side.png
626 KB, 2026x2026
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_miqK1_LTM
FUCK
THIS IS SO GOOD HOLY SHIT
>>
>>3362514

Earthbound has an awesome, bizarre sort of quirkyness to it that I love. The backgrounds, the sprites, the dialog all add to that and follow the theme of a kind of nonsensical/psychedelic/whimsical world. You say the the sprites look like they're drawn by 5 year olds, but to me, that's the charm of the game.
>>
>>3362659

Why is this the one city in the game that went diagonal
>>
>>3362803
because it has too much high-rises to make it vertical.
>>
>>3362589
But you don't have to hijack another company's IP to do that.
>>
How goes the mother mod for mother 2?
>>
>>3362123
listen I like the Mother series, probably more than you do, but this is pretty cringe
>>
>>3362331
It was Itoi himself who said he wanted to see Mother 4 be a game created by the fans instead

I can only imagine that he'll probably be disappointed

maybe he should have asked his buddy Murakami to take over, he's still pretty prolific

damn that would be an interesting game if he did
>>
>>3362514
The characters and enemies were modeled in clay before being turned into sprites.
>>
>>3365832
>It was Itoi himself who said he wanted to see Mother 4 be a game created by the fans instead

I think he never said "by the fans", but rather that he wanted to be the player next time. I think it was mostly Itoi's own way of saying "I'm not doing Mother 4", since he said making Mother 3 was exhausting, same with the other 2 games. Itoi isn't really a game developer and isn't used to the kind of work pacing it requires, so it might be overwhelming to him (also since he cares a lot about little details).
Itoi also said that Mother 4 might just be Animal Crossing, or even "the collective lives of all of those who have played the Mother games".

But I don't think he minds the fangame at all, he seems like the most careless guy in the world when it comes to that sort of thing.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.