[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
horror games from the late 90's that aren't silent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: darkMessiah2.jpg (98 KB, 640x486) Image search: [Google]
darkMessiah2.jpg
98 KB, 640x486
are you sick of hearing about those other ps1 horror games? are you looking for something old and different too?
post a horror games that you would recommend people try out, or at least gave you a spook
pic related
hellnight is pretty good but from what i hear its hit or miss with some people, the game is low on substance but it definitely has a unique art style and atmosphere that you wont find anywhere else. the closest game i can compare it to is echonight, where all you can really do is run, walk and interact with a few things
>>
>>3360438
What a coincidence I was just playing this. I wonder is it possible to complete the game without the first girl that joins you dying? I find her ability to sense the monster pretty useful.
>>
>>3360476
isnt the ending different depending on who's with you?
i'd imagine there must be a way to do it
>>
>>3360438
galerians. the controls kind of suck and the english voice acting is shoddy but you have psychic powers and the plot is weird in a good way. it got a ps2 sequel that everyone fucking hates except me it's pretty good imo but both games are flawed.
>>
>>3360668
Never heard of it, sounds cool I'll check it out
>>
>>3360438
>late 90s
Jesus man why

Let's all just play Splatterhouse and forget awkward early 3D
>>
>>3360870
>not liking primitive 3d graphics

bad taste desu
>>
File: roger-bacon.jpg (55 KB, 638x480) Image search: [Google]
roger-bacon.jpg
55 KB, 638x480
Koudelka is one of my all time favorite games, and I'm not usually a fan of horror games. Honestly tend to find them really dull, but I'm also not a horror movie fan for the same reason. But Koudelka was all sorts of great. I don't know if it was really scary, but it had really great atmosphere for a horror game - Koudelka's version of Roger Bacon was creepy as hell as a kid, I'll admit. More of a horror-RPG though as combat played out as turn-based grid battles. Was the start of the Shadow Hearts series, technically, though those aren't retro obviously.
>>
Martian Gothic: Unification

Really charming game. Stay alone. Stay alive.

>>3360476
It's very possible, just save often. There's a unique ending for finishing with each possible sidekick.
>>
I know most people disagree, but nightmare creatures (n64) was solid as fuck. Scared the hell out of my 9 or 10 year old self.
>>
>>3361308
I played it recently, and I agree. Clunky but fun hack and slash. It won't really scare you now much good atmosphere.

I've been trying to get through Nightmare Creatures 2 on PS1. It's fucking rough.
>>
>>3361337

I have never played the sequel. Is it really that bad
>>
Parasite Eve
Dino Crisis
Clock Tower
Galerians (if nothing else for it's grade A voice acting)
Evil Dead - Hail to the King
Koudelka

That's all that comes to mind.
>>
>>3361738
>voice acting
PFFFT.

Admittantly, the ova redub is one of my favorite anime dubs out there. (I dont care for the mtv music version but I will still watch that)
>>
>>3360668
I never got too far on that game, it just felt like you were so weak and your power usage was far too limited
>>
Vampire Countdown, its pretty goofy but i like it.
Game is set in a horror theme park of some sort its not actually scary unfortunately
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odxEZzfjl8Q
>>
>>3362026
That was the point. Your drugs were limited, so you had to conserve your powers and try to avoid combat when you could. It was more survival horror than horror action
>>
File: 3289_front.jpg (30 KB, 612x613) Image search: [Google]
3289_front.jpg
30 KB, 612x613
More mystery/suspense, but it's pretty spooky.
>>
>>3363117
Its a nice story telling spin on the genre but those controls are covered in godamn molasses
>>
>>3363117
Real comfy game right here
>>
>>3363591
>but those controls are covered in godamn molasses
I used to think the same way, but I eventually got used to King's Field controls to the point where I don't need to remap everything to the sticks on my Vita. Looking up and down is probably the only problem for me when playing old From Software first person games on original hardware, control-wise.
Also, you can change the walking speed to fast.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.