[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Children and hipsters are getting excited for Nintendo brand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6
File: nes palette comparison.png (228 KB, 1550x816) Image search: [Google]
nes palette comparison.png
228 KB, 1550x816
>Children and hipsters are getting excited for Nintendo brand emulation

Unless that NES Mini shit is going to use Unsatured V6, it's going to be stupid dark just like on the VC.
>>
>>3360005
>Unsatured V6
Where's that on the pic, then?
>>
>>3360009
It's not since it's like 2 weeks old. It wouldn't change V5's picture since it only effects some blues I think.
>>
>>3360018
But "unsatured" isn't even a word.
>>
>>3360042
Unsaturated. Did I satisfy your tism?
>>
BMF Final 2 is best. Real NES has dark reds, and the bricks aren't purple.
>>
File: castlevania-level2-bricks.png (7 KB, 396x268) Image search: [Google]
castlevania-level2-bricks.png
7 KB, 396x268
>>3360078
Your monitor isn't calibrated or is trash. It was mentioned in the thread that those bricks are coded to be that color.
>>
I made a little program back in the day to take my favorite NES palettes, take the averages of each color, then spit out a new .PAL file. Satisfied my autism when I couldn't make up my mind.
>>
All 18 look like bad to me.
>>
What's the difficult part about making it output like a real NES did? Did it have retarded impossible to emulate video hardware or something? Someone explain for a luddite like me.
>>
File: nes gaming.jpg (2 MB, 3619x3024) Image search: [Google]
nes gaming.jpg
2 MB, 3619x3024
>>3360005
Unless that NES Mini shit is going to look like this, it's going to be stupid looking just like in every other emulator.
>>
>HDMI only
>meaning it will never output at original resolution

I would have gladly bought that shit, but I guess I'll keep emulating on the Wii. Very nice of them to make Classic Controller inputs.
>>
>>3360005
So what are the best and worst outputs here?
>>
>>3360262
Unsaturated V6 (V5 in the pic) is the exact output of a NES/Famicom.
>>
>>3360290
Why did it take them 6 versions to get it right?
>>
Nintendo's palette has fucking red bricks, which is the way most people see it. Unsaturated is a capture from a NES hd upscaler, and is not what most people would see, despite it being based directly on the NTSC decoding standard.
>>
>>3360239
A filtered photo, to demonstate the appeal of an unfiltered image. It's so stupid, and yet so fitting.
>>
>>3360160

The NES does not have a definte absolute always looking identical "palette", the colors were dependant on the screen device, in other words there ARE NO standard NES colors.
>>
>>3360297
Improvements. Difficult to get a pallete to look exactly how you want.
>>3360298
The guy didn't use a scaler.
>>
Honestly though, you guys spend way too much time thinking about this.
>>
I don't understand, the differences are minute.
>>
>>3360336

How is that different from any other console or video device ever? Of course the colours are different depending on the screen.

Or are you trying to tell me the NES somehow magically changes its colour output depending on the screen you have connected? The internal "palette" is what we should be working from and this whole debate is looking pretty retarded. NES had ugly colours, deal with it.
>>
>>3360358
You'll see shit like that a lot. It's just an excuse for some retard to like his favorite emulator, filter, etc.
>>
>>3360358

Other systems have absolute RGB values for the colors, it directly creates the colors in the NTSC/ PAL signal, and the device has to create the color from its generator, in other word simplified you could say the NES tells for example this part of the sprite is "red", and what "red" now really means is subject to interpretation of the device.
For standard palettes you need RGB (or an other absolute system) color values, which is why there are dozens of NES ones.
>>
>>3360357

They are, but if you are developing an emulator they are still a problem- you obviously need colors for your emulator, but there are no definite ones! So you have to make a palette by yourself, essentially what "looks good" to you.
Every NES emulator- devolper stood and stands before this problem.
>>
>>3360313
>A filtered photo,

Or the optic was just pointed at the bright as fuck TV screen, which made the camera controller drop the brightness in order to match the light source; in turn making the rest of the picture darker.

If you've ever pointed your camera at a TV screen you'd know that this happens all the time.
>>
>>3360093
That's because he choose an ugly game for the example.
>>
>>3360085
Calibrated monitors show red, sorry. Purple bricks are inaccurate.
>>
>>3360540
>The coded color put in by the developers is wrong because I said so.
>>
>>3360551
That coded color shows up red on calibrated screens. I have no idea where this purple hued version comes from, because that never showed up on any TV I've seen.
>>
>>3360558
>shows up
On your shit monitor yes.
>I have no idea where this purple hued version comes from
It comes from Konami.
>>
>>3360567
>>On your shit monitor yes.

Yours is the shit monitor if reds are showing up with purple hues.

>It comes from Konami.

Every port and remake of this game shows this level with blood red bricks. Konami intended red bricks, period.
>>
>>3360358
>>3360421
I think you have to consider also that the designers weren't necessarily coding based on what the documentation claimed was produced when you set the color, but instead designed based on what it looked like on their TVs.

So if you REALLY want to see what Castlevania was 'supposed' to look like, then you should go dig up the developer's TVs that they used for designing the sprites/testing the game/etc. and play them on whatever device they used, probably some kind of famicom devkit and maybe a commercial famicom at some point as well.
>>
>>3360574
>Yours is the shit monitor if reds are showing up with purple hues.
>Every port and remake of this game shows this level with blood red bricks. Konami intended red bricks, period.

Try reading retard.
>>
>>3360358
>The RF Famicom, AV Famicom, NES (both front- and top-loading), and the North American version of the Sharp Nintendo TV use the 2C02 PPU. Unlike some other consoles' video circuits, the 2C02 does not generate RGB video and then encode that to composite. Instead it generates NTSC video directly in the composite domain. The TV decodes this into RGB to drive its picture tube, and most TVs' decoders intentionally deviate somewhat from the NTSC standard.
http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/PPU_palettes#Palettes
>>
>>3360581
There's nothing to read. That particular color will show up red on calibrated displays. If it's purple hued, it's not accurate.

There's nothing more to be said.
>>
>>3360587
So let me break this down so I can fully understand this amount of retardation.

We KNOW before hand that the color is purple. This is FACT. 100% fact indisputable the color was programmed to be purple. Not blue, not red, but purple.

However, since the color appears to be red on your 15+ year old improperly calibrated display. That means the color is red?

Did I get everything there?
>>
>>3360603
>>We KNOW before hand that the color is purple. This is FACT. 100% fact indisputable the color was programmed to be purple. Not blue, not red, but purple.

Citation needed. That color is clearly supposed to be red. It's only purple on inaccurate palettes.
>>
>>3360608
>Citation needed.
Again try reading.
>>
>>3360085
That "purple swatch" statement is unsourced by anything on Nesdev
>>
>>3360576

True, but we are essentially talking about the problem emulator designers are facing.
Personally I couldn't care less if the color red on my TV is a bit more brownish than on another one, but if you make an emulator you cannot skip the simple fact you need a palette- and the NES doesn't have a monitor usable one. That's why in OP's pic there is such a variety in colors. Of course you can make the palette editable, but that doesn't help with the fact that you need a basic palette at first, an emulator where the user first had to manually select the 64 colors for the palette before playing his game won't be very successful.
So wat do? The simplest approach would of course be to get your old CRT out, put your NES there with a test program and create your colors until they to you look like on your TV.

>MY emulator, MY colors :^)
>>
>>3360603
>>However, since the color appears to be red on your 15+ year old improperly calibrated display.

It appears red in properly calibrated monitors you dumb faggot.

Purple brick retards pls go
>>
>>3360290
You do realize that's literally impossible?
>>
>>3360612
Read fucking what?

All you fucking posted was a color palette screenshot. What the fuck does that prove?
>>
>>3360290
>Unsaturated V6 (V5 in the pic) is the exact output of a particular capture card's interpretation of a NES/Famicom signal

Fixed that for you.
>>
I care more about the controllers. I fucking love the old boxy controller.
>>
>>3360506
Yep, pointing my camera at my TV creates a vignette and piss overlay.
>>
>>3360627
>>3360623
>>3360620
>>3360618
>>3360614
>>3360613
>>3360608
>>3360574
>>3360540
>>3360078
Really need to be handheld this much? http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/PPU_palettes

See “05”. It’s purple you fucking idiots. You can even go ahead and take your favorite image editing software of choice and see there is Blue in the color you retards are claiming to be “Red”.

You retards are using complete trash monitors and or are horribly set up. Probably color blind too it seems.

You idiots have to be millennials. I refuse to believe people are this ignorant on /vr/. It can’t have gotten this bad.

To reiterate and expand upon.

The code used for that color in the blocks is known.
It is FACT that it is purple. It’s backed up by numerous sources. NESDEV, MAME, Firebrandx, etc.

The color is:
R 92
G 0
B 48
Source ~ Nesdev’s Blargg

Further facts:
The PlayChoice Castlevania also used purple.
Hex color 737
Source ~ MAME/Nesdev

So why do you see red or blue?
Simple answer. You’re an ignorant retard with a shit monitor. Long answer. You’re an ignorant retard with a shit monitor.

Or you’re just using a consumer set in which case who cares.

Either way it’s a FACT that those fucking bricks are purple.
>>
>>3360005
Where's the Wii U VC?
>>
>>3360735
Came here to post this. Wii U makes Wii VC look excellent. N64 has the same problem.
>>
>>3360743
>N64 has the same problem.
N64 emulation on Wii VC is far better than NES emulation on Wii VC though.
>>
>>3360709
>wiki
lol
>PC10 PPU
lol
>muh millenial boogeyman
lol

Sounds like you're the ignorant retard in this thread, friend. Keep trying. 0/10
>>
>>3360709

>Entire thread dedicated to explain why the NES does not have a definitive palette
>posts a palette and is "there it is"

Did you read the thread? That is A palette, not THE palette. You could call it the NESDEV- palette.
Maybe the people had a device making these tiles look red if they insist that they need to be red?
Also not a counterpoint, just a real question: Where do you know that 05/0x05 is the intended color of those tiles? Did you read that in the ROM?
>>
>>3361854
That's the NTSC decoded to RGB. It is the NES pallete.

The amount of ignorance displayed in this thread is astounding.
>>
>>3361889
How many people need to explain this to you?

The amount of ignorance in your posts is astounding.
>>
>>3361902
I'm not color blind so that's probably the issue. I also know exactly the RGB color the NES is suppose to output. Not "well it looks like this on my shit monitor".
>>
>>3361909
holy shit, anon.
I'll say it again, since that's impossible you must be retarded.
>>
Purple bricks are a meme
>>
Can someone explain to me how it is possible that so many different variations exist? Are palettes in all games this uncertain or is this a special case?
>>
>>3362027
The NES PPU does not have a defined palette, at all. It is up to the television to interpret the palette from the composite signal, so emulators have to basically make one up.
>>
>>3362032
But then how do we agree that say Mario's color is red beyond the out of game contextual stuff? Could it be purple if the TV was insane?
>>
>>3362039

Why do you think are there purple variants in OP?
Obviously people remember it being purple and therefore made the palette in that way so the game looks like that.
>>
>>3362042
But there's no need to remember. NESes and CRTs still exist. You can pop in a CV cart and get to stage 2 and look for yourself what your CRT outputs. Did any output purple or is it all a Berenstein of the mind?
>>
>>3362043

With all those purple variants I'm pretty sure there have to be lots of TVs that really output purple at this scene. I'm pretty sure at least some people used references when creating the palette and not just their memory.
As you can see there are basically more or less two groups: the screens who output red and those who output purple there.
And it seems like they were really 50/50.
That's also why there is so much fighting in this thread. It does not seem like the purple one is just a rare variant but just as frequent as the red one- as such EVERYONE is "right" and when then everyone defends the color THEY have on the scree or remeber then you get the cat fight like in here...
>>
>>3362054
So what are some other areas in other games this occurs for? Why was this specific area so much more likely to be interpreted in many ways by CRTs?
>>
>>3362060

They just chose this area as an example for reddish colors, likely because Castlevania is a very well known and loved game and it has in this spectrum a nice variety. It's not just this area, for example let's assume that the palette position for the color of the wall is 0x16, if your display gives this wall a specific color then EVERYWHERE where 0x16 is requested this same color would be inserted there. EVERY game would look different to the same one on another device where this scene looks different to yours too.
The specific area has no special properties, it's just an example.
>>
>>3361916
Tell me the exact color those bricks are suppose to be, kiddo. I'll wait.
>>
Doesn't the NES have palettes something like this: 'RGB 233 155 121 for this pixel'? Or is there no RGB standard or the like used?
>>
>>3362869
Apparently the NES display hardware deals in hard-coded NTSC colour signals, not RGB or whatnot.
>>
>>3362869
>>3363103

Most consoles produce internal RGB signals which are then converted into composite whatever. The NES produces the NTSC/PAL signal directly. Figuratively speaking that is kinda like the difference between telling someone "Insert the color with the RGB values 230:100:40" and "insert a light orangeish brown there!"
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.