[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Make Retro Games look good on LCD TV
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: SCART.jpg (9 KB, 278x219) Image search: [Google]
SCART.jpg
9 KB, 278x219
Would this chain of adapters allow me to play my games in HD?

I have my NES, SNES, and arcade plug-n-play plugged into a 3-channel composite connector. If I plugged the composite into a SCART upscaler then converted that to HDMI, would it allow me to easily play my games in HD? And would there be tons of input delay?

Please note that I don't know a thing about how displays work.
>>
>>3359954
Photos please
>>
File: IMG_4982.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4982.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Okay, so heres the input hub i'm using currently. This will be plugged into the Composite-to-SCART adapter in the OP.
>>
Then it will go into this SCART-to-HDMI adapter, then into the TV.
>>
File: SCART to HDMI.jpg (39 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
SCART to HDMI.jpg
39 KB, 1024x1024
>>
Technicaly every adaptor you use degrades the image somewhat and induces a small input delay, but this isn't TOO bad of a setup.

I'd personaly go compostite to hdmi though and cut the scart adaptor.
>>
Would that still make it so my games dont look like shit when i use only composite? Does the upscaling make that much of a difference?
>>
composite into a SCART adapter is still composite
get RGB SCART cables
>>
Converting to composite is lossy, you cannot take a composite signal and convert it back to a pure signal. In fact conversion from RGB to anything else is always lossy, even YUV/component/whatever is not exactly the same as RGB it's just so close that the human eye cannot easily tell.
>>
i think i'll try just a composite to HDMI adapter, since theyre dirt cheap, and my goal is to just make my games not horrendously fuzzy and shit. Too bad my living space cant accomodate a huge-ass CRT- i would love for that to be an option...
>>
>>3359954
>I have my NES, SNES, and arcade plug-n-play plugged into a 3-channel composite connector.
If you want to play your NES, SNES and arcade games on an LCD HDTV without them looking like ass, you should AT LEAST be using S-Video, if not RGB. Composite is an awful signal type.

>If I plugged the composite into a SCART upscaler then converted that to HDMI, would it allow me to easily play my games in HD?
Yes, but it won't be HD. It's still going to be lossy 240p/480i upscaled to the native resolution of your LCD TV. And its gonna look like crap.

>And would there be tons of input delay?
Yes
>>
I just want my games to not burn into the screen when I play them on the Video input.

No issues playing retro through HDMI, but when I hook up the wii and play anything with an HUD for more than an hour it's burned in for about as long as I played.
>>
Wow, i thought that composite, svideo, and component were similar! Guess ive earned the title "newfag"... so i'm thinking component would be a significant upgrade, and plus my tv has input for it so no shitty adapters will be in the way.
>>
>>3360294
Yeah, the upgrade that component gives is like night and day.
>>
>>3360304
I concur
>>
>>3359954
>Would this chain of adapters allow me to play my games in HD?
No. Use emulators + shaders. It's literally the only way.
>>
>>3359954

The quality you're going to be outputting is always going to be restricted by the weakest link in the chain. If your console outputs composite, it will always look like composite.
>>
File: both sides.jpg (294 KB, 1280x827) Image search: [Google]
both sides.jpg
294 KB, 1280x827
Don't do it OP, that's how you make mustardgas
>>
>>3359954
Depends on the quality of equipment and how much input lag is too much. SCART is your best bet if you can get a fast HDMI upscaler that might be alright but good upscalers aren't cheap.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.