[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk Polybius: was it real, what do we know about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: Polybius_9234.jpg (34 KB, 338x450) Image search: [Google]
Polybius_9234.jpg
34 KB, 338x450
Let's talk Polybius: was it real, what do we know about it? Anyone got any stories?
>>
>is muh le spooky spaghetti 4 realisies?
No faggot
>>
>>3358901
Almost definitely fake.

Only realistic possibility that it might have been even partially real would be if there was a similar game under a different name or if a known game was used for similar purposes at some point.

>>3359005
It's not "creepypasta", you fucking idiot. The urban legend is older than the fucking internet.
>>
File: Bart-Simpson-Triangle-Wars.jpg (233 KB, 560x431) Image search: [Google]
Bart-Simpson-Triangle-Wars.jpg
233 KB, 560x431
>>3358901
im so interested, you think the cabinet release some lsd during the gameplay?
>>
>>3359014
The Polybius rumor originated in 1998 you blubbering tard
>>
>>3359025
>Anaheim, Summer 1980
>Walk from sunny street into dark sweltering arcade
>Approach unknown cabinet never seen before
>It's a Tempest prototype in which the tunnel spins instead of the ship, inducing intense vertigo
>Color vectors sear your retinas
>Strobes flash in your face when you get hit
>Bass strong enough to kick you in your stomach
No LSD required, Anon
>>
>>3358901
nah, I was talking to this guy rick and he owns an arcade (arcade odyssey in florida) and he has like a shit ton of arcade games and consoles in this warehouse and according to him it's fake, guy seems like he knows what he's talking about. but you probably won't believe me because this is the internet, 4chan no less
>>
OP here, I just find the idea/legends about this alleged "game" fascinating even if it isn't real. I'm pretty surprised nobody's made a real version of the game in its' own cabinet.
>>
>>3359069
At first, I wanted to say that if you actually want a decent conversation about this, instead of a bunch of whiney neck beards yelling at you, you should probably just take this to /x/. Now that i think about it though, that would just get you a bunch of tweaked out losers RPing about how they knew an uncle who played it or something
>>
>>3359054
>>3359069
actually he told me he had a fake version too and that he might put it in the arcade one day (they switch out games each month) to see reactions, but I didn't really buy into that part.
>>
>>3359075
That sounds pretty hilarious actually, I might just do that
>>
>>3359076
I'd love to see people's reactions, you know most kids would walk right by it and not know what it is while some adults would stand there in awe wondering if it truly was Polybius they were seeing.
>>
Why hasn't anyone tried to make one for fun?
>>
File: 1460078066578.jpg (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1460078066578.jpg
5 KB, 225x225
>>3359081
fucking kek, that might actually be a decent prank idea.
>>
>>3359081
Yeah, the reason I have suspicions though is because he said it would even do things like have digitised whispers like "Hey" or something to get people to play it or it would credit itself randomly to attract people. I mean it might be true because again this guy has almost fucking everything but still.
>>
>>3359069

Of course people have made reproductions.
But obviously nobody really knows what the game looks like, just a few very vague descriptions.
>>
>>3359069
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuLJkzw7hqI
>>
>>3359090
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5vcu3yoqva1qxjb/POLYBIUS.zip
>>
>>3359510
You can zip arcade machines now?
>>
>>3359514
is a fan game
>>
>>3359514
MAME roms :^)
>>
Fake as fuck. I remember looking at some gaming forum a while back and there was some dude faking to be involved on the "project". It was rather amusing. The dude was samefagging the shit out of the thread and complimenting himself. A little while later I remember reading some expose by some gamer broad about that one handle (or his name, or someone someone was PA'ing getting doxxed and was some cult deprogrammer dude or whatever the fuck and was wanted on kidnapping.

At that point I stopped giving a fuck.

I would call Polybius the Frank Dux of Coin Ops but that would be wrong because Frank Dux actually exists.
>>
File: aaa.jpg (8 KB, 300x124) Image search: [Google]
aaa.jpg
8 KB, 300x124
Posters' IP addresses have been acquired.
Moving in.
>>
>>3358901
>lets talk something an underage just learned about on jewtube
That's my story
>>
>>3359454
The best part about that ROM was the debug menu, with options like "happiness" and "alignment with current administration"
>>
>>3359454
have a better video of the same cab
https://youtu.be/r0WyA8SksdY
>>
>>3359054
Arcade odyssey is the fucking shit!! I lived a street down from it last year and I would go at least twice a week
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10YMtdPHBak

todd tuckey has one
>>
>>3359035
Not really, no. There were usenet posts in the 80s referring to supposed "cia is using arcade games for experiments" rumors. The NAME "Polybius" might have come from 1998, but it's based on an older urban legend.
>>
>>3359049
Was that a real thing?
>>
>>3360705

When I was a kid there was one of those "guide to mastering the video games" (80's) books that included a rumor that the government was monitoring high scorers on Missile Command.
>>
>>3360705
I don't think it's a coincidence that the rumor started bubbling up around the time The Last Starfighter came out
>>
>>3360707
It's why I'm an epileptic
>>
>>3359069
I've always wanted to make a mame cabinet, but never have because I cant think of what to do with the marquee and side panel design. But making it a polybius machine sounds cool though.
>>
>>3359069
>I just find urban legends fascinating.

Same here. I'd actually love to watch a documentary about the origin and growth of the Polybius rumor. Are there any good ones out there?

The only vidya urban legend/rumor/myth series I'm aware of was Gametrailer's Pop Fiction, which was delightful before it had the plug pulled on it.
>>
>>3358901
It's totally fake. If the US government wants to run tests on people they just slip in cancer viruses in the vaccinations or dump chemicals in the water that turn frogs gay.
>>
If it's not real it should be

Is the technology not there for this even now

I want a video game that induces hallucinations and eventually madness
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.