[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nintendo Mini NES coming 11/11
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 69
File: CnUun99UsAENXtn.jpg (118 KB, 2048x1830) Image search: [Google]
CnUun99UsAENXtn.jpg
118 KB, 2048x1830
Thoughts?
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/753559995849990144
>>
File: nes mini.jpg (78 KB, 1032x680) Image search: [Google]
nes mini.jpg
78 KB, 1032x680
No price known yet.
>>
So it's like the Colecovision Flashback? Guess it all depends on how it runs but I don't see any real reason to buy it.
>>
File: CdGo1xf.jpg (29 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
CdGo1xf.jpg
29 KB, 400x400
is this real fucking life?
>>
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Classic-Mini/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-112428

Games included
Balloon Fight BUBBLE BOBBLE Castlevania™
Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™ Donkey Kong Donkey Kong Jr.
DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE Dr. Mario Excitebike
FINAL FANTASY® Galaga™ GHOSTS‘N GOBLINS™
GRADIUS™ Ice Climber Kid Icarus
Kirby’s Adventure Mario Bros. MEGA MAN™ 2
Metroid NINJA GAIDEN® PAC-MAN™
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream StarTropics SUPER C™
Super Mario Bros. Super Mario Bros. 2 Super Mario Bros. 3
Tecmo Bowl™ The Legend of Zelda Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
>>
They will sell original brand new NES controllers with it? Thats awesome!
>>
place ya bets laddies
My guess:
>ARM-powered emulator box with no chance of updating
>>
>>3358753
>brand new official NES controllers

>>3358749
>weird proprietary connectors

A-adapters when?
>>
Cute
>>
>>3358749
Everything else aside, this would make an awesome case for a dedicated emulation box. Just rip out its guts and replace them with a SBC or something.
>>
>>3358768
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Classic-Mini/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-1124287.html

Yeah looks like it, its USB powered, its some fucking raspberry pi inside this shit
>>
>paying for ROMs
>>
I can see this selling like absolute gangbusters if they market it properly. Like, 20M+ by the end of the year.
>>
>>3358776
>paying for EPROMS inside a plastic container
wewwerino
>>
Can't wait till it gets hacked so we can install our own perfect collection in it.
>>
SNES mini next?
>>
>>3358749
Finally, the retro bubble is starting to pop.
>>
File: 05152230.png (11 KB, 403x375) Image search: [Google]
05152230.png
11 KB, 403x375
>>3358778
You're probably right... Like, this is just for the general public not even people that play vidya.

Have you seen how big Pokemon Go blew up? I never realized it was possible for so many secondaries to exist for such a mainstream game.... It's disgusting.
>>
It'd be even better if there was an ability to play your existing NES games. Then they could reproduce carts and sell them at $20-$30 a pop, people would buy them in droves.
>>
>>3358753
$59.99

>>3358749
It's cool I guess, but you can technically get an original NES for that price. Maybe this will drive the price down?

That being said the controller is neat, and it will work on the WiiU/Wii.

Only thing I'm worried about is that it will be a glorified emulation box. Nintendo's NES emulation has been absolute shit. I'll wait for reviews to come out so I can know for sure if there's any horrendous input lag, or if they decided to use that stupid vaseline dark filter again.
>>
I love retro games, but this retro gaming buble is pure cancer.
>>
>>3358749
Need more information on how it works and what its features are. Right now I'm betting it's emulator garbage. Looks like bait for entry level hipsters.
>>
>>3358787
The original chips for the NES weren't manufactured by Nintendo so it's unlikely they could reproduce the original hardware. I guess they could make a shitty clone box, but that'd ultimately just be emulation that puts wear on your original cartridges and thus absolute shit. Also, I doubt Nintendo wants to limit their market to the minority of a minority of people who still own NES carts.

Would be cool if this turns out to be a decent "official" emulator and people figure out how to flash the entire NES library onto it.
>>
>>3358789
>$59.99
No chance against Famiclones.
Though, I might be wrong, because NINTENDO is written on it.
New controllers are ultra neat though, wish they sell SNES controllers as well.
>>
>>3358801
>The original chips for the NES weren't manufactured by Nintendo
But they might have original drawings and circuits.
>>
>>3358805
Unlikely. Even if they did, they don't own the rights to them. They'd have to negotiate with the rights holders. Doubt it'd even be worth it to them, the cost would be pretty high to set up the manufacturing equipment to reproduce antique chips when they could just do it in software and 99.9% of people wouldn't know or care.
>>
>>3358801
Doesn't seem like the thing will be able to play cartridges anyways.
>>
>>3358804

Are you kidding? Throw some commercials up on Adult Swim and ESPN and at $59.99 they'll be backordered for months and going on eBay for $300+
>>
>>3358808
The Patents have run out on those chips years ago. Anyone can make them now.
>>
>>3358749
I think it will sell. And I think I will not buy one.

>>3358771
So? It's not like there's a shortage of actual NES controllers...
>>
going full mobile wasn't enough, now they need to shill their shitty nes games that everyone besides nintendrones are tired of
>>
>>3358749
>caring about plug n' plays
>>
Looks cute, but im better off with an actual NES and Raspberry pi for rare or fantranslated games
>>
It's probably going to be an emulator, it would be amazing if they used the original schematics but I doubt it considering the manufacturing costs. The controller ports are the ones they use for the classic controllers I believe.
>>
File: vr and his glasses.png (5 KB, 330x310) Image search: [Google]
vr and his glasses.png
5 KB, 330x310
Seems like something of a cash grab for easy money, but it does have a nice lineup of preinstalled games. $60 is a bit much for a novelty, especially a plug n' play, so I hope there's a means of being able to play more games on it.

>>3358838
>The controller ports are the ones they use for the classic controllers I believe.

That's correct, of which there are two of. The SNES-like one with analog sticks and the other with grips that notably came with MH3.
>>
>>3358810
It doesn't really need too. As long as there is a way to load roms onto it should be good. If it actually has hardware designed to run and upscale games with minimal input lag, then I'll consider buying one.
>>
>>3358753
sixty for the unit with one controller, and ten for an additional controller
>>
>>3358749
Memory specs?
>>
AAAAAHHHHH look at that little thing. Im gonna sell my regular old crapola nintedo and buy one of them little things. oh god this is abot the happiest ive ever been in my life. I'm gonna buy abot 5 of em and stick em on the shelf. And if some ass hole comes over and wants to play i'll sock em and tell em to go get there own!!!!!
>>
I wonder if these are modified and re-purposed wii minis with virtual console games preloaded.
>>
>>3358861
I doubt it since it's USB powered. Need a little bit more than that for a Wii.
>>
>>3358771
>A-adapters when?
just hope the shell and buttons can be swaped with og pcb controller.
Although I wonder why they didn't when with the dogbone.
>>
>>3358749
hold up so where do u put the carts?
and it looks like u cant use original nes controller since they changed the plugs
>>
>>3358874
>I wonder why they didn't go with the dogbone
Probably because it's not as iconic, honestly. Can't appeal to nostalgia with the dogbone for most people.
>>
>>3358881
It says nowhere you can so I think you can't
>>
>>3358881
Look at the size of it. Obviously it doesn't accept carts.
>>
Can someone explain to me why they don't do this properly? Like, with a NES-on-a-chip, a real cartridge slot, real controller ports and composite out with HDMI optional. Wouldn't that be more popular with the retro hipsters? I understand that it's expensive to start producing all those parts again, but surely economies of scale would bring the price back down. I might even consider buying one. They could still compete with plug-and-play consoles, but they'd have an extra niche to sell to. It would be like the Sega Genesis 3.
>>
>>3358771
Looks like classic controllers they're just classic controllers.

Cool idea. I'd actually be more inclined to buy a Japanese version. I always thought the OG Famicom was qt, but it's still a bit less functional than other revisions of the hardware.
>>
>>3358909
This is not meant for people like us. It is meant for people like Colecovision and Atari Flashback. Just a cheap all in one system filled with games people have fond memories for. For the kinds of people that want to replay them but don't want to spend all that money buying all those carts.

Personally the only thing that would get me to buy it if I learned M2 had a hand in it.
>>
>>3358920
>If I learned M2 had a hand in it
I would to actually if that was the case, tthey always are really good at porting things and always add nice extras to things like with the Sega 3D classics.
>>
So basically Nintendo is trying to enter in the market of cheaply made NESclones? I guess it's ok when Nintendo does it.
>>
>>3358920
Yes, but it could be for both groups of people if they did it right. The type of people who buy a system like this for nostalgia aren't going to not buy it if it's more authentic. If they want to ship it with games, they could have some games built in and sell others on brand new carts. It actually seems pretty strange that they sell the controllers separately but not the games.
>>
>>3358909
Supporting the original carts is not realistic... they aren't going to manufacture those again.

But NES on a chip would be awesome if it provides a 100% authentic reproduction. I have my doubts about emulators.
>>
Why didn't they put the whole fucking library and add SNES to it if they are just making an emulation box?
>>
>>3358928
Seem it comes with one controller. Guessing the second is being sold separately mostly for people that want to buy it for their Wii U VC. And I wish I could play my carts in it too. Just saying that I feel Nintendo doesn't think the extra cost is worth it. They wanted this to be made as cheap as they could.

Personally what I wish they did was have a system that plays carts and also play VC games. Feel that would have been a better thing for people.
>>3358936
This is why the only way I would even think of touching one is if M2 did the emulation. They have shown that they are the best in the business and can do wonderful things with emulation. But sadly I'm going to guess this is going to be a cheap Android emulation.
>>
File: 1467746068860.jpg (98 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1467746068860.jpg
98 KB, 800x600
>>3358928
I think that's too much for them, they only want to sell a console and controllers. If they sold individual games it'd be more work, like adding a whole new library for them to distribute like a Wii U. or maybe I'm just talking shit. Regardless, who knows if the individual games would sell when Virtual console exists. I doubt the newer generation would be interested in buying the carts, unless people want the feeling of inserting an NES cart in.
>>
Buying it, absolutely buying it. If it does well we might see SNES or N64's as well.
>>
Are they also releasing a Famicom version?
>>
>>3358749
>mini gameboy DMG
>mini N64
Day one buy if they do this.
>>
>>3358950
>mini gameboy DMG
What for?
>>
>>3358764
but the cable doesn't hook up to an actual NES though. It's a nunchuck/pro controller cord that you can attach to a wiimote. But the controller itself looks exactly like the NES.
>>
Is there a emulator box that I can plug at tv and play all kinds of roms I download.
>>
>>3358954
Fuck, well if the controllers are the same as originals (minus the cable) there will probably be Wii to NES adapter I guess
>>
>>3358953
Cute pocket games.

Actually I just want to own one that isn't yellow or scratched to fuck.
>>
>>3358953
What is gameboy pocket
>>
>>3358958
Yeah a raspberry pi 2 / 3 with retropie on it
>>
>le 60$ meme
Where's the source? That sounds like extremely unrealistic.
>>
>>3358749
I'll wait to see some footage, the Wii U nes emulator makes the games look dreary and awful, and the input lag is awful.

If it has a great picture and feels good I will definitely get one, I would also be keen on stuffing a raspberry pi in the shell and using it as a portable emulator box.
>>
>>3358965
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/now-youre-playing-with-teeny-tiny-power-nintendo-announces-retro-nes-console
>>
>>3358965
what, because it's so cheap? I would agree. That's also why it will literally print money
>>
>>3358946
64 would be nice, my pal 64 looks like hot dogshit on a modern screen and I can't even RGB mod it. though I don't know if there are even 30 games on the system that you would even want, and it would be a hard sell for them to market 64 pads separately.
>>
>>3358779
>using pdip instead of cdip
Stay pleb youngling
>>
>>3358804
>wish they sell SNES controllers as well.
I've got one. It was for sale for a limited time on the EU Nintendo stars reward thing, so one does exist. I haven't seen it anywhere since though.
>>
I'll definitely consider buying one just for the feeling of legit controllers vs the chinkshit ones that populate amazon and other places.
>>
>>3358857
what the eff?
>>
>>3358749
I will buy it depending on how easy it is to hack.
only 30 games? shit I can save every nes game on my calculator.
>>
>>3358962
Anon didn't say about GBP
>>
>>3358962
A 20 year old handheld system with an old blurry lcd.
>>
>>3358749
holy shit

I'm definitely getting the NES Classic Controller to play NES games on the Wii Virtual Console.

Not sure about the actual NES Classic Console though. Will it output HDMI? Will it run NES games natively or use an emulator? How good will the emulator be? Can we play Light Gun games on it?
>>
>>3359000
From what we know
Yes HDMI
We don't know but people are guessing it's just emulation
We haven't seen anything yet
And there's no Light Gun games on it
>>
>>3359000
Light gun games require a crt, so definitely not.
>>
I nearly had a heart palpitation until I realized this wasn't going to take carts and upscale them.

Only Nintendo could release one of these turd systems and charge 100% more than Sega, Coleco, Atari, etc. do.
>>
Without slot for cartridges is only an emulation box meaningless.
>>
>>3359013
>i actually think using a card or not has anything to do with whether it's emulated or not
lol
>>
Isn't the going rate for a NES around $50?

Seems like a shitty price point to me.
>>
>>3359021
A nes doesn't run on a modern tv. It's for casual fans who have some nostalgia, not for hardcore retro enthusiasts.
>>
>>3358753
I would pay as much as $10 for one. Maybe $15 if it was complete with box.
>>
>>3359021
>Seems like a shitty price point to me.
Games are included
>>
It's a literal hipster box. fucking yuck.
>>
>>3359037

>free ROMs are included

Shill
>>
>>3359037
It's decade old games you can find easily on the internet. That's hardly the expensive part for whoever made it.
>>
>>3358980
>pal 64 looks like hot dogshit on a modern screen and I can't even RGB mod it.

Why not?
http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=209
>>
>>3358749
I GUARANTEE this will cause real NES consoles to balloon in price. I'm talking $200+ for a working machine with cables. Grab a few while you still can you can make some moola.
>>
>>3359060
They cost $150 in australia already. I dont even use mine but dont want to sell it in case i want another one.

I paid that for my fucking famicom mini.
>>
>>3359060
speaking of which, if it isn't too much to ask how much do Famicoms go for these days?
>>
>>3359060
Legit consoles will eventually become incredibly rare because people destroy or mod them for stupid reasons

http://www.instructables.com/id/NES-flash-drive-and-USB-port/?ALLSTEPS

I think at some point when the original consoles become uncommon enough the market will get flooded with famiclones again.
>>
So it's a plug and play?
>>
File: shittttt.jpg (122 KB, 960x731) Image search: [Google]
shittttt.jpg
122 KB, 960x731
>>3359083

That's the dumbest thing I've seen this week. I can't even, what
>>
>30 NES games built-in

That's all very nice and stuff, but no-one is talking about whether it'll actually have other titles and if so how they'll be handled.
>>
>>3358939
So they can sell another SNES emulator box some years later
>>
>>3358763
Not a bad list if games
>>
File: Legend_of_Zelda_NES[1].png (4 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Legend_of_Zelda_NES[1].png
4 KB, 256x224
>>3358763
> The Legend of Zelda Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
> Not Legend Of Zelda
>>
I'm reading that it will get power from a USB port like a phone charger which leads me to think it will also be able to sync over USB to add more games which will probably be hacked toot sweet. It would be neat if there was another USB inside the cartridge slot and Nintendo sold mini NES cart shaped flash drives with games. Now that I look at it it's actually big enough that a laptop hard drive could slide in.
>>
>>3359112
That means they have both you twat
>>
>>3359112
You're pretty dumb, huh?
>>
>>3359112
They should call it The Hyrule Fantasy.
>>
>>3359083
what the fuck
>>
>>3359113
>nintendo
>supporting ROMs
not gonna happen. And I bet the inside will be as hacker-unfriendly as possible, too
>>
>>3359113
The data lines in the USB port will probably not be connected to anything as a precaution against hacking.
>>
File: tumblr_oa4akhm90R1txla4mo1_400.png (158 KB, 332x279) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oa4akhm90R1txla4mo1_400.png
158 KB, 332x279
>>3359112
> The Legend of Zelda Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
> THE LEGEND OF ZELDA, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

great job anon.
>>
>>3359118
It's a waste of time, effort, money, an NES, an NES cartridge, a usb cable and a USB flash drive. But at least he made a tutorial about it.
>>
>>3359112
Did you finish elementary school?
>>
>>3358749
This seems perfect for my brother-in-law, actually.
>>
>>3359114
>>3359115
Alright, my mind is optimized to remove redundant words.
>>
>>3359123
I'm sure their intention will be to sell them a la the virtual console - plug device into USB, go to Nintendo's site, input credit card information and install. However, nothing Nintendo has ever made was as hacker-unfriendly (aka "secure") as possible. Their model is just to make it EASY for people to get games LEGALLY and focus on that market which leaves plenty of room for us pirates.
>>
Oh god. i can see it now. resellers will buy these up and hoard them.
>>
File: nes-classic-2.jpg (43 KB, 960x632) Image search: [Google]
nes-classic-2.jpg
43 KB, 960x632
Is it still better to get a Raspberry Pi 3 and turn that into a gaming emulator or get this instead for a little bit more?
>>
>>3359124
Then why not just use a dipole adapter? No, my impression is that the device will be capable of having new games added by design.
>>
>>3359136
Raspberry pi can emulate more than 30 NES games
Hell, my MP3 player can emulate more
>>
>>3359136
It's still better to use a real computer you already have.
>>
>>3359138
no-one mentioned that though.
>>
>>3359140
Well, a raspberry Pi is a lot more portable, much easier to get set up through your television.
>>
>>3359136
It's best to use a Wii. I wouldn't even be surprised if this thing turns out to BE a Wii inside, or at least sharing a lot of the hardware. Look at the controller port FFS.
>>
File: nesmockup[1].gif (14 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
nesmockup[1].gif
14 KB, 256x224
>>3359113
I'd like to see indie games there
>>
File: 1384921518818.jpg (78 KB, 469x700) Image search: [Google]
1384921518818.jpg
78 KB, 469x700
>>3358781
>SNES mini next?

QUICK QUESTION..... do you guys think it will be possible to mod-replace the chip, and put a bigger one with the whole Nes library on it? just fucking imagine...
>>
>>3359138
They're leaving the actual power adapter out likely to save money so using standard USB cables makes sense since everyone has at least one if not multiple USB chargers at this point.
>>
>>3359146
Not necessarily.
>>
>>3358749
Great hand model. I bet that hand feels nicer than a vagina.
>>
>>3359140
I want to make a home console though with added streaming functionality so I could play games in my living room. Also, how is the Pi not a real computer? It's not a piece of furniture.
>>
>>3359145
No one mentioned what?
>>
>>3359149
Wii hardware can't be powered by one USB port
It's going to be a chinese smartphone SoC, maybe even running android
>>
>>3359149
I thought the Pi 3 was more powerful than the Wii though?
>>
It will be just a 3ds with no screens.
>>
>>3359158
Additional games support
>>
>>3359150
what am I looking at?
>>
>>3359160
Yeah that's true. USB is 5v Wii is 7.5 or 9 iirc.
>>
>>3359157
Because it's ARM and not x86. Otherwise phones and other shit would also be a real computer.

If you want to play in your living room just get a long HDMI and USB cable.
>>
File: 1468457275509.gif (2 MB, 460x432) Image search: [Google]
1468457275509.gif
2 MB, 460x432
>>3359136
There is barely much known. You may not even be able to get new games.
>>
>>3359161
you're funny
>>
>>3359167
>implying that's the relevant bit
>>
File: 1459139509032.gif (822 KB, 600x366) Image search: [Google]
1459139509032.gif
822 KB, 600x366
>>3359021
>Isn't the going rate for a NES around $50?
I've seen NES, even old as shit and battered to hell, go for no less than $158 and that's a fairly generous figure. I really want to get the top loader as it was what I remember playing the most, but it's just as expensive, if not moreso
>>
>>3359161
The Pi has better software.
>>
>>3359168
>Because it's ARM and not x86
general purpose is general purpose. x86 is not something special (except maybe in how fucked up it is)

>Otherwise phones and other shit would also be a real computer
they are
>>
>>3359168
>a real computer MUST be x86
anon...
>>
Is this HDMI only or can I connect it to my CRT?
>>
File: noteguru[1].png (26 KB, 320x256) Image search: [Google]
noteguru[1].png
26 KB, 320x256
>>3359165
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/13847.htm
>>3359173
>implying is retro.
>>
>>3359021
>>3359174
>tfw I bought mine for 5€ at a flea market, even came with that 3in1 cartridge and 4 controllers
>>
>>3359179
>>3359178
You can't run Windows on anything else. Windows RT is a joke.
>>
>>3359168
>Otherwise phones and other shit would also be a real computer.
They compute data. They are computers.
>>
>>3358939
>Why didn't they put the whole fucking library

so easy to spot the uneducated child... copyrights are... an extremely complex topic for you my summer friend... enjoy your stay.
>>
>>3359185
>You can't run Windows on anything else. >Windows is a joke.
agreed
>>
>>3358980
Two years now. That's how long Universal N64 RGB mods have been easily available.
>>
>>3359164
That's why I said it was my impression based on it having a USB port

>>3359161
Yes, but a Wii comes with a lot more hardware for the same price (used) but if your original question was about power, I would assume the processing power of this thing will be relatively weak and its mod potential will be more limited so no - it would be dumb to scrap a current RPi3 project in favor of this novelty console.
>>
>>3359182
You don't get it, do you
Do you even know how electric current works

>>3359185
NT runs on alpha, MIPS, PowerPC
2k, XP, 2003 run on itanium
8 runs on ARM
10 runs on ARM as windows mobile
CE runs on even more shit
>>
>>3359186
So does a calculator.
>>
Sega did this already with the Atgames Genesis.
That came with 80 games, used original genesis controllers, and even had a cartridge slot up top for original genesis games.
This thing looks like a piece of shit, comparatively
>>
>>3359167
The important part is the total power output in Watts. [email protected](~11W) is supposedly enough to power a late model Wii
http://forums.modretro.com/index.php?threads/wii-board-revisions-guide.14059/

but running any power supply at 100% constantly is not a good idea. Maybe it's a wii mini with significantly improved power usage.
>>
>>3359184
Most of those people that put a ridiculous price point on older home consoles know what they're going for and how to exploit every last cent out of the consumer. Tried to buy two PS1 games at the flea market once, Smackdown and Grand Turismo 2, but they guy wouldn't entertain any offer below twenty a piece because he had never seen them before and therefor deemed them "rare"
>>
>>3359173
Plenty of modern cell phone power supplies are 2a+
>>
File: neo.jpg (39 KB, 600x339) Image search: [Google]
neo.jpg
39 KB, 600x339
oh look its another Neo geo x episode
>>
>>3359193
>run on itanium
I bet MS is still upset about that
>>
>>3359202
They took an old chink MP4 player/emulator, removed all the ports and put it in a nice case
>>
>>3358909
NES cartridges and controllers are a secondary market that no longer has anything to do with Nintendo. They have no reason to support it.
>>
>>3359021
>Seems like a shitty price point to me

you forgot to ad the cost of those 30 games... American education anyone...
>>
how much would people on here pay for a hypothetical (mini) remake NES that replicates the original circuitry, instead of using an ARM and an emu? It would still be incompatible to old cartridges, maybe use some proprietary 30-in-1 cart(s)
>>
>>3359197
>He never saw Grand Turismo 2 before
lol I'd have literally laughedin his face for saying that. GT2 is probably the single most worthless game on Playstation that's also so good literally everyone should own a copy.
>>
>>3359210
http://www.emuparadise.me/Nintendo_Entertainment_System_ROMs/13
>>
This thread is definitely more /v/ than /vr/ in terms of post quality.
>>
>>3359210
>you forgot to ad the cost of those 30 games
that's $0
>>
I'm curious about price point, and dissatisfied with cartridge compatibility not being included. Other than that, could be fun.
>>
>>3359214
ARM processor? Wait, this remake uses the same shit that the Raspberry Pi does?
>>
>>3359220
/vr/ posting quality is a myth
>>
>>3359219
>>3359221
By that logic, the console itself is also worthless.
>>
>>3359221
>Thinking licensing is free
There's a reason VC can't just have every game is because there needs to be legal talk which cost actual money. If there was 30 of only Nintendo games yeah sure but third party no.
>>
Nintendo trying to cash in on kids who say "OMG NES NOSTALGIA" who weren't even alive when it was out.
Most people here already have a NES and a bunch of carts for it, so there's not really any point to it
>>
>online only
really Nintendo are we Microsoft now?
>>
>>3359229
Nobody knows, but it's the most likely at the moment. Also, you don't know much about ARM, do you? Same "shit" as the Pi uses, and your phone, and your smart appliances, and your GBA, your DS and many many other things. ARM's an architecture, not more. It makes no statement about capabilities or lack of them.
>>
>>3359231
No it's not, retard.
>>
>>3359229
Why is that surprising? It's a common processor for small electronics.
>>
>>3359231
The console has at the very least the value of materials and assembly. The games have been created and paid for long ago. Copying them costs nothing
>>
>>3358785
Fuck off that nes mini has some great games on it.

There is nothing casual about it
>>
One potential problem with using an original classic controller. The wire on the original classic controller is like 3 feet long and comes out of the bottom so you have to fold the wire behind the controller(takes up some of the length of the wire)
>>
>>3359168
>Because it's ARM and not x86

This is the reason you are kept in this containment board, please never go to /g/ we have enough retards already.
>>
>>3359234
why do you think I give a shit about licensing?
>>
>>3359235
>Nintendo trying to cash in on kids who say "OMG NES NOSTALGIA" who weren't even alive when it was out.
and it'll work

>Most people here
are not the target audience
>>
>>3359251
because i had the smallest glimmer of hope you were not a garbage human being.
>>
>>3359214
I'd actually but it if it was that.
>>
>>3359235
>there's not really any point to it

Except to cash grab on the OMG NES NOSTALGIA kids as you were quick to point out. They obviously know their market, as any business should.
>>
So basically Nintendo is entering the market of consoles you'd find in Bed, Bath, & Beyond?
>>
>>3359195
https://www.reddit.com/r/retrogaming/comments/3xezha/buyers_remorse_a_review_of_atgames_sega_genesis/
>>
Seriously though, people have been nagging Nintendo about this for years its about damn time.
>>
>>3359253
I had the smallest glimmer of hope you were not a piece of shit judan.
>>
>>3359253
The garbage ones are the ones that came up with this whole licensing bull
>>
>>3359258
Why would you not target normies? Nerds aren't going to buy this.
>>
>>3359259
> reddit
>>
>>3359254
for how much?
>>
>>3359251
Because you're posting in this thread about yet another emulator box that's only differentiating characteristic is its Nintendo license?
>>
>>3359210
>>3359221

>ILL USE THIS ORIGINAL HARDWARE TO COMPARE IT... BUTTT BUTT NOT THE GAMESS. THOSE CAN BE DIGITAL EVEN THO I CANT PLAY THEM ON AN ORIGINAL NES, BUT IM RIGHT...

mobing-goal/posts.rar

Murican education at its finest.
>>
>>3358946
>N64
>not having access to Rare's library

Pass
>>
>>3359261
I mentioned it in a thread a while back, but I really want an unreasonably tiny but fully functional GBC. Same old reflective display, no changes, still using carts. But everything miniaturized as far as it will go. I don't care if it ends up being unplayable half-inch tall, it's the ultimate portable
>>
>>3359254
Why? It does the exact same thing.
>>
>>3359263
Yes the IP system that gave birth to all the games you play is garbage retard.
>>
File: Captur1e.png (152 KB, 355x257) Image search: [Google]
Captur1e.png
152 KB, 355x257
>>3359259
>>
Reminder that Nintendo has used public emulators in the past for their commercial endeavors, like PocketNES for the NES Classics on GBA, I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a Raspberry Pi (as previously mentioned) running a modified version of RetroArch and one of the NES cores, but with a friendlier GUI.
>>
>>3359271
creating that piece hardware costs money. Copying the rom dump of an existing game onto it does not
>>
>>3359267
Uhhhh, I don't know. It'd have to be around or slightly more than the price of a used NES. I'd go with $60 at most?

>>3359274
We don't know that. I hope it is that.
>>
>>3359258
Makes sense. This machine are for 30's-40's year old that haven't really touched a gaming system since the NES/SNES. And just want to live back to those days again. Work for Atari and as long as the system isn't complete shit with their games (lag will make Punch-Out unplayable) it should do very well.
>>
>>3359275
>that gave birth to all the games you play
they exist despite it, not because of it

And you're forgetting the untold number of games I can't play, because they were prohibited due to the IP system
>>
>>3359229
>only the raspi has an ARM CPU
>>
>>3359194
Intel's first CPU was a CPU for a calculator, fyi.
>>
>>3359280
The value of an item is what people are willing to pay for it. Not what it cost to make it.
>>
>>3359287
and I put the value of these games at $0, and gave my reasoning for it. I put the value of this hardware well above $0, and also gave my reasoning for that.
>>
>>3359280
Programming them did cost money, and you don't buy things because making a copy cost anything. Then we would not pay teachers.
>>
>>3359283
>>3359283
>they exist despite it, not because of it
>And you're forgetting the untold number of games I can't play, because they were prohibited due to the IP system

>this is what sanders and trump supporters actually believe
>>
>>3359281
>We don't know that. I hope it is that.
I'm saying hypothetically.
What's the difference between an emulator box that plays 30 games (near) perfect, or a hardware clone that only plays those same 30 games?
Why would it be worth more to the user if they perform the same function?
>>
File: 1463149758999.jpg (109 KB, 750x900) Image search: [Google]
1463149758999.jpg
109 KB, 750x900
>>3358781
>>3359151

Add a Fleshlight and a mini-screen and I'm gone
>>
>>3359280
cant wait for movie studios, record labels, SONY and MS to start selling 1TB disc drives with all their games at the cost of just what a 1TB drive... i mean.... the music, movies, tv shows, and games are already on their online stores amirite? IT COSTS NOTHING THEY SHOULD JUST SELL THEM WITH EVERYTHING ALREADY IN IT!!! ITS A BRILLIANT IDEA!!! IM ONLY 15 YEARS OLD AND IVE ALREADY SOLVED A BIG PROBLEM!!!
>>
>>3359292
the resources spent to create these games have been paid back

A teacher spends a scarce resource (their time) to do what they do. Copying data is a matter of ctrl-c, ctrl-v, and can be automated fairly well. No resources spent there
>>
>>3359290
People as in the market, not one loudmoth dumbass on 4chan. People obviously pay for ROMs. Look at the VC.
>>
>>3359168
>and not x86. Otherwise phones and other shit would also be a real computer.
>ZX Spectrum isn't a computer
>Atari 8-bit isn't a computer
>Commodore 64 isn't a computer
>Amiga isn't a computer
>Amstrad CPC isn't a computer
>BBC Micro isn't a computer
>MSX isn't a computer
>Apple II and Macintosh isn't a computer
>Vector-06C isn't a computer
>BK-0010 isn't a computer
>>
>>3359294
>a hardware clone that only plays those same 30 games
that's not technically possible. If it's a hardware clone, it runs every executable that runs on the original hardware. The only restriction you can put in place would be physical, like giving that hardware only access to a secured ROM with data, that can't be replaced
>>
>>3359302
When you own an IP, sell it only long enough to break even, then give it away.
>>
>>3359279
PocketNES is public domain while Retroarch isn't
>>
>>3359306
Macs use x86.
>>
File: 1459576009680.jpg (85 KB, 600x713) Image search: [Google]
1459576009680.jpg
85 KB, 600x713
>>3359302
"WHAY DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR OLD RECORDS IF THOSE BANDS HAVE ALREADY MADE THEIR MONEY BACK? WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR MOVIES ON BLURAY IF STUDIOS ALREADY MADE THEIR MONEY BACK FROM SCREENINGS AND DVD SALES"

#FEELTHEBERN
>>
>>3359217
I remember telling him "you know that I can buy these cheaper used on amazon right?" and he just scoffed at me like I had told him "the earth was flat" or something

Really superb customer service~
>>
>>3359301
>cant wait for movie studios, record labels, SONY and MS to start selling 1TB disc drives with all their games at the cost of just what a 1TB drive
better even, skip the drive and make it a free download. You just discovered that distribution as payment method is a bad idea. It gave us DRM and all other kinds of consumer-hostile mechanisms, because it can't deal with the simple reality that copying digital data is really easy.

Creating these things is a different matter. In the case of NES games, they're old enough that they made their money through distribution, because infrastructure for free distribution was not yet available. They've been paid for long ago though, so charging for their distribution again is quite insulting
>>
>>3358749
This would have been great like 12 years ago when I was a middle schooler who didn't know what emulation was. That said, totally getting that classic controller.
>>
>>3359294
There is no difference, except that a real clone would be much more difficult to make
>>
>>3359304
>People obviously pay for ROMs
that's their problem, not mine. You followed the actual trail of the exchange? It did not involve the price you can charge people. It was all about the value of the hardware + software
>>
>>3359314
Underage b&
>>
>>3359309
>When you own an IP
that's where things go wrong
>>
>>3359314
It's a recent thing, they used PowerPC ten years before and 68000 Motorola twenty years ago.
>>
If anyone buys this, please castrate yourselves.
>>
>>3359321
you DO realize that copyright and IP rights.... are in place... right? you DO understand that, the fact that Hitchcok movies are old and have made their money back, i cant just go and sell a USb drive with all his movies inside... you Do understand it right? are you from California by any chance? did you vote BERN? do you want free stuff from the tree of free shit?
>>
>>3359338
buying one for my wife's son
>>
>>3359319
I stopped buying $1 copies of Gran Turismo 2 when I hit 5 of them. Some shithead demanding $20 for one would get my full contempt.
>>
>>3359294
Software is faster, easier, and cheaper to develop but less accurate. High accuracy software emulation requires beefy hardware to be comparable to hardware.
>>
Between this and Pokemon Nintendo have been nothing short of marketing genius lately. I have an actual NES and won't be buying this shit but goddamn, for casuals that know fuck all about the bubble we live in this will make serious money.
>>
>>3359328
>It did not involve the price you can charge people. It was all about the value of the hardware + software
Irony, Gentlemen.
>>
>>3359347
>High accuracy software emulation requires beefy hardware to be comparable to hardware.
Not for the NES. Or any popular 8-bit system.
>>
>>3359349
You know you will eventually, just wait. And you will buy more than one.
>>
>>3359315
>>>/v/
>>
>>3358812
>advertisements for an NES
>playing during a dubbed Gundam anime on the Toonami Adult Swim block

Holy shit. That's like two layers of nostalgia there.
>>
>>3359352
Running high accuracy only work on modern hardware because the software is running on hardware that is hundreds if not thousands of times faster than the hardware its emulating. Its not powerful relative to modern standards its powerful relative to the hardware it's emulating.
>>
>>3359339
>you DO realize that copyright and IP rights.... are in place... right?
unfortunately. Can't wait for that shit, and people believing it's good shit, to die. You've been kicking and screaming for the last 3 decades now, fucking over the digital age for anybody sane, because you treat thoughts like objects. It's insane.
>>
>>3359357
>you will buy more than one
>you
Speak for yourself retard.
>>
>>3359349
>bubble we live in
you're adorably delusional
>>
>>3359365
found the commie...
>>
>>3359349
I feel like they're targetting people who don't have Nintendo's hardware.

Although I guess this is hardware, atleast it doesn't require WiiU or something
>>
>>3359357

I might if they added Castlevania III :3
>>
>>3359365
>Create a good thing
>I want to protect myself from having anyone distribute my good thing

>NO, I WANT FREE STUFF!
>>
>>3359375
>protect myself from having anyone distribute my good thing
that phrase makes no sense. You want to stop people from thinking? If you don't want something to be in the public, don't make it public. If you want other people to see, read, hear, or otherwise experience it, deal with the inevitable reality that these people will form thoughts about it, and there's nothing you can do against that.

>FREE STUFF
Who said I'm unwilling to pay for creation?
>>
>>3359370

Hey, I didn't say it was a small bubble, but it exists. You can't ask a random bloke on the street about finding the best connection to hook up your Turbografx-16 to your Sony Trinitron CRT, but he'd probably at least know what an NES is. You can't deny they're aiming for a market much bigger than us right now.
>>
File: 39nb.gif (781 KB, 350x249) Image search: [Google]
39nb.gif
781 KB, 350x249
>>3359379
>selling something is the same as giving up my right to be the only one profting from my hard work and great idea that lots of people use everyday.

I guarantee youll achieve success at a young age my friend, you are destined to greatness i have no doubts.
>>
>>3359380
If some random bloke didn't know what a TG16 is, they probably have no interest in getting a NES in the first place.
Now fuck off.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 69

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.