[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What games within the board purview have the most epic final
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: lavosshadow.png (121 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
lavosshadow.png
121 KB, 320x240
What games within the board purview have the most epic final bosses? Why is it so often JRPGs that tend to try to wow you with the final boss? is it due to the game length needing a suitable justification or something?
>>
sometimes platformers have spectacular final bosses too
>>
File: 1412701657222.gif (2 MB, 220x190) Image search: [Google]
1412701657222.gif
2 MB, 220x190
>purview
>>
>>3361849
A sterling british man should certainly know what the word purview means.
>>
>>3361831
SMW: No
SMB1: No
SMB2: No
SMB3: No
Any Megaman: No
Megaman X: Some of them but Sigma gets kind of cheesy after he's been beaten 20 times
SMW2: YI: Sort of
CV SotN: Probably the first CV with an epic final boss despite how easy it is
>>
File: Foto+Demons+Crest.jpg (67 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Foto+Demons+Crest.jpg
67 KB, 800x600
>>3361893
I said sometimes you dip
>>
Giygas was pretty special, even if a gimmick fight.
>>
>>3361923
Giygas was admittedly really cool and felt pretty epic.

Same for FFVI. A boss battle where you can use literally all your characters? Pretty cool for a FF game.
>>
>>3361893
Holy shit, be more casual.
>>
>>3361940
Which of those mentioned would you consider "epic final bosses"? Or was that aimed at the ones he enjoyed?
>>
>>3361920
Was just naming off the first platformers that came to mind and whether they qualified.
>>
>>3361923
Giegue was better than Giygas in some ways, like singing a song that is very dear to him as opposed to praying to a blues band, saturns, a whizz kid and a scientist, the first boss, your mom and the player is better.
But of course, Giygas+Pokey's tracks kicks Giegue's ass hard, besides, all mother series' final bosses are gimmicks
>sing
>pray
>pls mom tell him to kill himself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3nYwTSkr0Q
>>
Wild Arms 2 had my heart thumping all the time.
>>
File: 1459979397148.jpg (262 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1459979397148.jpg
262 KB, 1920x1080
>>3362160
Like this?: "Doki doki!"
>>
>>3358653
>playing jrpgs at all
enjoy your calculator games
>>
>>3362754
You don't need to know more than basic math to play a JRPG.
>>
>>3361885
I do know what it means.

In retort, you should know Malcolm Tucker's opinion regarding its usage in modern conversation.
>>
>>3362928
Sorry, I don't follow the advice of TV characters.
>>
>>3362934
Then begone, lubricated horse cock.

I have no further business with the likes of you.
>>
>>3362942
>This is what /tv/ is really like art social gatherings
>>
File: Neutronium_golem_page.png (403 KB, 1840x1650) Image search: [Google]
Neutronium_golem_page.png
403 KB, 1840x1650
>>3358653
/tg/ once posted an article about this, since the problem dates all the way back to tabletop.

D&D started with putting dragons as the "final boss" of player modules for a time, until the novelty eventually wore off. So then, they had to one up themselves and put things like liches, servants of evil gods, and eventually demons and then minor deities. When those ran out, they started putting cosmic horrors, and eventually creatures from outside space and time.

Really, it was indicitive of players going "oh wow, another dragon, how exciting" and then moving up from there. Except eventually designers run out of ways to actually make things any more powerful than they have, so now we overflow and go back to zero -- fighting the lowest tier endbosses becomes strangely satisfying after that point.
>>
>>3358653
Earthbounds Giygas

It was such a huge turn from happy and colorful to immensely morbid and disturbing. And the method of defeating him was extremely simple, yet filled with emotion.
>>
>>3363087
this is why they're made 5th edition so low powered in comparison

they essentially have shit module writers. their writers are fucking awful. it's the story and setting that hooks people and the mobs just need to be refined. their leadership is pretty awful.
>>
>>3362841
exactly
>>
>>3363087
I bet the Hulk would win in a fight
>>
>>3363271
You can't expect someone with autism to know how to appeal to others
>>
Metal slug 2/X

Just so super cool
>>
>>3363525
Behold the power of giant brain aliens
>>
>>3363525
That girl is very cute.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.