[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I've been searching for games with similar setting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Z.png (21 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
Z.png
21 KB, 320x200
Hey guys, I've been searching for games with similar setting to Z. I want something with sci-fi, with robots/cybernetics fighting each other, possibly with medieval elements merged in (castles and so on). Preferable genre is TBS/RTS but actually anything would be cool, on both PC and consoles.

I had this old game called 7th Legion and loved it as a child for the setting. Reinstalled it and it fits this aesthetic almost perfectly. It's WH40K inspired in a lot of ways; now I actually wanted to find some retro Warhammer 40K game, but there's only Space Hulk AFAIK and it sounds a bit too old. Also, people called it C&C clone; I looked into it, and C&C looked ridiculously fast rush-based strategy which is not my cup of tea.

Also, Z obviously had a sequel/spiritual successor, but I don't know—it just doesn't have the same vibe.

As for other games. I tried Starcraft, it's very close to what I wanted, but I prefer TBS to RTS and I hate Starcraft lore. What came somewhat close was Alpha Centauri, but it's more sci-fi and less robot wars. Still great though.

As for consoles, I played Super Robot Wars but gave up because I will never get all the references and the gameplay was so-so really. Some random meme robots fighting other meme robots.

Any other suggestions?
>>
>>3358415
>only space hulk
There are actually quite a few 40k games some There is Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate where you control a team of ultramarines, Final Liberation is where you play empire vs orks, and rites of war where you actually play as eldar. I havent got a chance to play them all much yet cause I got them on gog recently and have been playing other games I also got on there.
>>
>>3358432
Thanks, somehow these went completely under my radar. Where I live 40K is virtually unknown.
>>
>>3358415
Maybe Front Mission and its walking tanks, though its setting is more on the realistic side.

Metal Marines (SNES or PC) could fill the bill The lesser known Jutei Senki (SNES, fan translated) has a weird mix of giant robots and fantasy, it plays a bit like Nectaris or Advance Wars.
>>
Space Hulk on the PS1 is good for laughs if you're a Warhammer fan and want some real nostalgia- I think it's great going back to see and experience how the GW lore used to be back in those days. You know- Before they fucking ruined it all.
>>
>>3358468
>Where I live 40K is virtually unknown.
40K is unknown virtually everywhere
>>
>>3358984
>You know- Before they fucking ruined it all.
They did?
>>
>>3358415
I also enjoyed 7th Legion! If you're looking for something similar... try Earth 2140 !!
>>
>>3359615
They changed the orc design to look like the orcs from Warcraft and the tyranids to look like the zerg from Starcraft.
>>
>>3359615

It used to be real hardcore, crusader knights in space, technology that was poorly understood, humanity taking refuge in religious zeal against the otherwise vast crushing bleakness of the hostile universe, sorta thing.

Now it's more average space sci-fi fare. It still has skulls everywhere, but there's no real sense of darkness to it. There's none of that sense that even the most elite members of the Adeptus Mechanicus have no idea how their machinery really works; there's none sense that the Marines interred in Dreadnaughts are almost literally divine, the processes keeping them alive understood so poorly that they really think the marine has become one with the "machine spirit". None of the sense that mankind isfanatically xenophobic because it is the only reaction which has ever kept them safe. No sense of the scope of the universe, where the only means of interstellar travel is so perilous that entire fleets go missing.

All that is gone and it's just Space Muhreeeens fightan ALIUNZ!
>>
>>3359624
OK thanks, I remember it from reading old magazines. There was a sequel too AFAIK, it also looked sweet.

>>3358849
Front Mission is a too realistic for me, but thanks for reminding. I had one friend who poured like 400 hours into the PS One game and I was contemplating if I should try it too.

Metal Marines looks really, really cool. It's a bit old but I wish there were more games like it.

The sad thing however is since it's SNES and these are strategies, robots are barely visible… That's sad. I really enjoyed Cybernator though, but it's also because it's an awesome action by itself.
>>
File: Warhammer 40k 1.jpg (463 KB, 842x1200) Image search: [Google]
Warhammer 40k 1.jpg
463 KB, 842x1200
>>3359664
Yeah it sure got a lot less dark. It feels like it has become really tame, trying to fit in by copying what's trendy and popular and pondering to lowest common denominator.

I've always thought that if there was a W40K shooter, it'd be my favorite game. Not tactical shooter, just straight-up action. I understand that's like asking for Quake tactical strategy game, but it really asks for some meat-grinding action. It's fucking brutal, AFAIK the main designer was a big metal fan, of Judas Priest among others, which only makes me yearn for true W40K action more.
>>
>>3358415
Obviously Dune II is a great choice, but I was always fond of Dark Reign. Not played it in years will have to dig it out.
>>
>>3360075
Good pick. And how can we forget Total Annihilation?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.