[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Probably a stupid question but is there any documentation of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 8in14.jpg (136 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
8in14.jpg
136 KB, 800x600
Probably a stupid question but is there any documentation of what it was like for people making bootleg NES/famicom games? I mean it always seemed interesting to me because of how bizarre and strange so many of them are. also bootleg game thread I guess.
>>
>>3357581
That's just a multicart with regular games on it there's nothing bizarre about the games themselves. The weirdest games you find are semi-obscure games that have had some other character graphically hacked into or other romhacks exactly like people still make to this day, just sold on bootleg carts. Or do you just mean original unlicensed games? Life for those kind of devs was probably shitty. Look up that Tetris guy.
>>
File: SAM_4347.jpg (32 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
SAM_4347.jpg
32 KB, 400x266
There were chinese companies dedicated to making them, one of the most famous one were whirlwind manu, the ones who made the carts with the catalog numbers "LA-XX", "LB-XX", etc
>>
>>3357601
I know the pucture is a bad example, I meant things like that lion king nes one where he hangs himself or something bizarre. or hell even the whole GRAND DAD thing. I always was kind of interested on what developing/being in this sort of industry was like. also by tetris guy do you mean the guy who created tetris or someone else?
>>
>>3357609
Well i knew that I guess, but that helps... I also know hummer team was a big one. I was just curious if there was any information about what being part of these companies was like.
>>
>>3357581
There are lots of steps in the process, from making or stealing a game to producing the physical carts. There's no one manual that covers everything from how to dump a ROM to how to poorly solder a chip to a cheap PCB and enclose it into a case that is guaranteed to crack in two the first time it's played.

>>3357601
>nothing bizarre about the games themselves
You've got to be shitting me. You must have led a sheltered life.
>>
>>3358007
well yeah but i meant sort of also what it was like for the people doing it or like why the games are so bizarre...
>>
>>3357581
There was a video on YouTube that was a sort of new channel extended investigation thing on the gaming and tech world in Japan. In the episode I saw, the first half was at Square HQ while they were developing FFII, and the second half was about a bootleg game company. It was in Japanese but I got a decent gist of it with autotranslate. If anyone knows what I'm talking about please post a link, I've been looking for that.
>>
>>3358131
Because they were rushed out and crammed into limited space using whatever assets were most readily available. There was nearly no creative directive in making most them they just threw shit together.
>>
>>3357581
http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/BootlegGames_Wiki
>>
>>3358678
Oh, well I mean this is also helpful, not exactly what I hoped for but still, thank you.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.