[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OBSCURE AND HIDDEN GAMES RECOMMENDATIONS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 14
has /vr/ got a chart for recommended obscure ganes and hidden gems? It would be cool if we work on some chart per console or an All-In-One chart with everything.

If you want to recommend something, please write why, the idea is to open discussions about the game and see if it is really a hidden gem.

pic related is known for his pricey value but I never seen it discussed, for example

please recommend, share and discuss
>>
Trip world is kind of regarded as a worse version of Gimmick.
>>
>>3355928
Still pretty comfy though. A lot easier, I'd say.
I looked into the level format sometime a few years ago and the level format is gay and the graphics are compressed (with an easy compression format, though) so maybe we'll see ROM hacks of it one day.

OP, here's my picks:
GB: Chalvo 55 - a fun puzzle game
SNES: Sutte Hakkun - a fun puzzle game
>>
>>3355883
pic unrelated I assume?

>>3355928
Have you even played it?
>>
>>3355883
http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki//v/%27s_Recommended_Games_Wiki
>>
File: questofki_0005.png (6 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
questofki_0005.png
6 KB, 300x300
Kai no Bouken or The Quest of Ki, a very unique platformer with some RPG elements on it.

It's an iteration from the tower of druaga series, it's JP only and it's very addictive and fun to play.

Basically, you can float in the art and by that you need to sort all like of dangers. You can warp and you can get item to help you or fuck you up.

It's a very charming and unappreciated tittle for the Famicom, it's really sad it's not that known, more people need to play this.
>>
File: quest-of-ki-dildo-machine.gif (21 KB, 221x311) Image search: [Google]
quest-of-ki-dildo-machine.gif
21 KB, 221x311
>>3356071
bonus track, one of the enemies on this game
>>
>>3355965
vsrecommends is very outdated isn't it?
>>
File: willy wombat.jpg (27 KB, 375x312) Image search: [Google]
willy wombat.jpg
27 KB, 375x312
WHOA
>>
Any more I just think of the term "hidden gem" as a clickbait tactic and/or a reseller trying to pump up their wares.
>>
>>3356406
Or youtuber/livestreamer with no taste or ability to research (or read the sticky)
>>
>>3356075
Where do you think we are?

Who cares if it's outdated if /vr/ material is 15 years or older?
>>
File: Mini 4WD - Eternal Wings.jpg (45 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Mini 4WD - Eternal Wings.jpg
45 KB, 640x480
An anime-based RC racing game that lets you customize your car parts.
>>
Fun platforming at its finest.
>>
>>3360040
holy fuck this game is the pinnacle of mediocrity
>>
>>3355883
Soul Blazer
Hyperzone
Metal Warriors

I dunno how obscure any of those are really.
>>
File: 308891_front[1].jpg (79 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
308891_front[1].jpg
79 KB, 512x512
Rally de Africa (and it's sequel, Rally de Europe), a Sega Rally-style racing game without manufacturer licenses, but offers a innovative time-trial mode called Memory Battle, where you can race 5 of your best ghost replays.

>>3359592
Mini 4WD is technically different from RC racing. Also, the manga/anime the game originated from, Let's & Go!! is having a revival called Return Racers.
>>
File: DezaemonPlus.jpg (72 KB, 503x512) Image search: [Google]
DezaemonPlus.jpg
72 KB, 503x512
Dezaemon Plus, a shmup making "game" on the ps1 that lets you design your own art, music, and stages. There's tons of great content out there made by fans. This is a port of the SNES game to ps1 with improvements.

If you're interested in trying it be sure to get the Dezaemon Kids disc 2 for 101 games made by fans. (Dezaemon Kids sucks balls so don't bother with it.) Read the Hardcore gaming 101 article for more info.
>>
File: Magic_of_Scherezade.jpg (29 KB, 250x342) Image search: [Google]
Magic_of_Scherezade.jpg
29 KB, 250x342
This game caught me by suprise, is pretty decent and don't hear much talk about it
>>
File: 374px-Chupa_Chups.svg.png (50 KB, 374x374) Image search: [Google]
374px-Chupa_Chups.svg.png
50 KB, 374x374
>>3360040

this game sucks monkeyballs, and is a weak attempt of implemting commercials into the european market

>chupa chups
>>
>>3361881
Wow it literally say Allah on there.
>>
>>3361884
only plus side of Zool is this incidental little bit of Dali art
>>
File: tumblr_n5iw5dSFmv1qd4q8ao1_1280.jpg (208 KB, 620x876) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n5iw5dSFmv1qd4q8ao1_1280.jpg
208 KB, 620x876
Love obscure /vr/, let's go. Here's three sweet (and inexpensive!) NES games.

Gyruss - Galaga and Tempest had a baby. Kickass arcade style cylindrical shooter with some nice music and fun gameplay. Recommended for shooter fans.

Gumshoe - One of the more inventive lightgun games, you play as a detective who must be shot at in order to jump. You can shoot obstacles to earn points and power ups. Only flaw with this game is the difficulty. There are 6 stages and you get 3 lives with no continues. 1HKO unless you get a power up. Only made it I think to level 3 once.

Willow - Haven't played this one as I picked it up yesterday, put it's a really cool looking RPG. It has gorgeous graphics and looks like a lot of fun.
>>
>>3361884
depends on which version.
>>
>>3361828
is there anyplace online where they exchange memory card images with courses for this game? if so that would be awesome. I'd like the idea of maybe regular threads for it here, but that would probably never catch on. Maybe game construction games general would though.
>>
>>3363212
Willow is considered obscure now?
>>
>>3363248
As far as RPGs go, yes.
>>
>>3363257
>what did he mean by this
there are tons of obscure RPGs, what on earth are you even talking about?
>>
>>3363269
Willow. Pay attention.
>>
>>3363221
There's a japanese wiki that fans use to share games they make, and archive the old games from the olden days.

http://seesaawiki.jp/dezaemon_db/

If you want you can try making a Dezaemon thread, or even just a shmups thread that encourages Dezaemon sharing. It's a fun tool to mess around with.
>>
>>3355883
Why are Gimmick and Trip World both so short??
>>
File: cosmopol-3.gif (6 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
cosmopol-3.gif
6 KB, 256x224
Cosmo Police Galivan is a really fun metroidvania type action/adventure game for NES/famicom that doesn't get nearly enough attention
>>
File: Mitsume ga Tooru.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Mitsume ga Tooru.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
>>
>>3363280
ok, let me say something else, since you obviously aren't getting it. If you think an NES game that was based on a massively popular film was ever obscure in it's time you are delusional.
>>
>>3363297
I think probably because they were both more meant as experiments than mainstream games.
>>
>>3363212

>Willow
>RPG

"no"
>>
>>3363381
i mean you get exp and level up, for the nes, that pretty much qualifies it as an rpg.
>>
File: awesome sagan.gif (467 KB, 270x203) Image search: [Google]
awesome sagan.gif
467 KB, 270x203
>>3355883
>get several NES games from a friend
>going through when I have time, find Totally Rad
>never played, never heard of, jam in system and start playing blind
>mfw
>>
>>3361815
>Mini 4WD is technically different from RC racing

Well, I confess I didn't really have much knowledge on the matter. I just read about it on wikipedia and it actually does sound like an interesting hobby. Considering how they're quite cheap compared to RC, I might actually buy one of these to try it out myself. Not sure where I'll be racing these things on, though.

I'm not much of manga fan tbqh, but I'll see if it interests me later.
>>
>>3363415

>you get exp and level up
>that pretty much qualifies it as an rpg.

"no"
>>
>>3364201
"yes"
>>
>>3364210

I bet you think that Super Mario Bros. is an RPG because you play the role of Mario.
>>
>>3363415
It doesn't though. You can say it has RPG elements, but that's only it.
>>
>>3364223
yes
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.