[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Top 3 Neo Geo games and why you like them
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8
File: tophunter.jpg (112 KB, 554x400) Image search: [Google]
tophunter.jpg
112 KB, 554x400
1. Top Hunter, Roddy and Cathy

The incredibly lush backgrounds, the foreground/background alternating gameplay (Never seen that done anywhere else except Wario land VB) and the sheer variety of gameplay. Mechs! Guns! Arm stretching! Pogo sticks! Levers that drop rocks on enemies! Power mode! etc. Huge stage variety too

2. Crossed Swords

What other third person over the shoulder 2D beatemups even exist? Satisfying combat, a different magical spell for every stage (with wildly different effects like turning enemies into scarecrows) and gorgeous environmental artwork. Giant detailed sprites, too.

3. In The Hunt

How many submarine based shooters even exist? And most are just space shooters but with aquatic backgrounds. This one actually makes the division between air and water critical to gameplay as you use separate weapons to attack enemies on land/in the air vs the ones underwater. Beautiful pixel art but that's to be expected from the team which later did Metal Slug.
>>
>>3354651
King of Fighters '98
>cast, fighting engine

Metal Slug
>just plain awesome, more fast paced and straight forward than the sequels also easier

Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
>awesome combo system, awesome cast, awesome fighting engine

The only one that HAS to be in my top 3 is KOF 98. I could probably switch either of the others out with Garou or Metal Slug 3.
>>
>>3354687

I don't like fighting games even a little bit. Arguably Neo Geo isn't the platform for me. But it really did have a number of brilliant, creative little games outside of the fighting genre.
>>
>>3354651
Oh look another TOP X of X

POUR IN YOUR OPINIONS
>>
What are some good Neo Geo games that aren't beat 'em ups, fighting or shmups?
>>
>>3354719

What's got your testicles in a twist, chum?
>>
>>3354727

...Blue's Journey? I guess you could argue that The Super Spy is an early FPS.
>>
>>3354651
>his fave is top hunter too
my nigga
>>
>>3354732
I'll take a look at those, thanks.

>>3354727
Any other recommendations are still welcomed.
>>
>>3354728
Post your TOP 5 amazing testicles twisters

GO GO GO
>>
There's a Neo Geo game I forget the name of and Google is not helping.

It's a top down shmup. You ride a dragon but can also dismount and fly separately using angel/icarus style wings.
>>
>>3354710
Some of the sports games are awesome plus there's some top tier run 'n' guns, a few quality shooters, a handful of top notch puzzle games, and some cool platformers. Only like one or two decent beat 'em ups though. That always seemed like a missed opportunity. They should have really put more effort into getting quality beat 'em ups on the hardware.
>>
>>3354651
In The Hunt isn't a Neo Geo game.

So far i say Shock Troopers, great visuals, fitting soundtrack and rock-solid gameplay. Need to play more Neo Geo games.
>>
File: CVYJbBWUkAA_zj9.jpg-large.jpg (87 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
CVYJbBWUkAA_zj9.jpg-large.jpg
87 KB, 1024x768
>>3354687
Hey hey c'mon c'mon
>>
All 3 would be fighters. I'd name KoF'98, Samurai Shodown 2 and Garou. All 3 are awesome in their own way. But '98 is probably the most balanced out of them.

Thanks to Street Fighter II, fighting games will forever be the hardest genre to master—merciless to beginners, personal lives of players and their thumbs. Not to mention that truly, for some of them, using an arcade stick is the only way to go.

Is it worth it? No. Why play them? I don't know. But they're addictive and deep as fuck, to the point of absurdness.
>>
>>3354651
In the hunt aint neogeo, but that's ok coz Nacza developed it anyway.

I really like Blue's Journey on neogeo.
>>
1. Blue's Journey, because it's cuuuuuuute!
2. Andro Dunos, because it's comfy and I like all the little details (like how ships come out from the background in stage 2)
3. dunno, probably Magical Drop or Puzzle Bobble
>>
>>3355976
Forgot *why* i like Blue's - Coz it has wonderful art direction, nifty music, it has branching levels and lots of little weapons and item upgrades, and warps and secrets, and fun mechanics like picking up cunts and hurling them at other enemies.
>>
File: tooclosetotheplatebruh.jpg (94 KB, 1012x688) Image search: [Google]
tooclosetotheplatebruh.jpg
94 KB, 1012x688
1. Motherfucking Baseball Stars 2

2. Last Blade 2

3. King of Monsters

>>
>>3354651
>alternating gameplay (Never seen that done anywhere else except Wario land VB)
fatal fury
>>
1. Money Puzzle Exchanger: fun mechanics and cute anime shit
2. Twinkle Star Spirit: the best "STG"
3. Windjammers: the best "sports" game
>>
>>3354727
Metal Slug
Neo Turf Masters
Magical Drop
League Bowling
Over Top
Neo Mr. Do
Baseball Stars
>>
>>3354719
Those Mojo click-bait guys must be running out of ideas.

Leaving out fighting/sport/shmup games (too many to list) and off the top of my head:
Metal Slug - It's Metal Slug. 3 is the pinnacle but I really like the way 1 is put together.
OverTop - Gives me an Outrun feeling, love the music and the variety of vehicles, locations and unique shortcuts (stuff like the schwimmwagen's shortcut was neat, despite the thing being ass at everything else).
Money Puzzle exchanger - The character animation is not as crisp as magical drop, but I like the gameplay and character designs better. It also pisses me off that the MD english translation was so half-assed (cut content and generic dialogue).
>>
File: NeoTurfMasters09.png (25 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
NeoTurfMasters09.png
25 KB, 320x224
Been getting into neo turf masters lately.
Game is relaxing and chill.
<Germany golfer don't fuck around.

Last blade 1&2.
It's one of those games that seems to take beauty above all things else. I've always liked it (and other ng fighters) because I've always find it rather simple to grasp and play, but takes time to master. Other than being just a over-complicated piece of shit like some fighters are today. Sucks everyone around me loathes neogeo/snk fighters, and gravitates to blazblue and SF.

Metal slug, any of them really, but probably 1,3,2,x,5,6,4 in that order?
idk, too hard to put things into tiers when you like all of them. but 1 probably would have to go first cause attachment from playing it in the arcades as a kid and all.

Not sure if that's my all time 3, but its what im playing most atm.
if it were a real top 3, puzzle bobble would have to go somewhere on there. It's always been one of those "if you're stuck on a deserted island" type games for me.
>>
>>3354727
Metal Slug
Metal Slug X
Metal Slug 3
Shock Troopers
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
League Bowling
Neo Turf Masters
Magical Drop 2
Magical Drop 3
Puzzle Bobble
Puzzle Bobble 2
Money Idol Exchanger
Baseball Stars
Super Baseball 2020
Blue's Journey
Windjammers
Top Hunter
Battle Flip Shot
Bang Bead
Bomberman Panic Bomber
Neo Bomberman
Ganryu
Magician Lord
NAM-1975 (this is a Cabal clone, I dunno if you'd consider that a "shmups" or not)
Neo Mr. Do!
Nightmare in the Dark
Spinmaster
Super Dodge Ball
Top Player's Golf
>>
>>3354651
If I went through your browser history what are the chances those are the top games according to an LP you just watched?
>>
File: Neo Turf Masters-1.016.png (5 KB, 160x152) Image search: [Google]
Neo Turf Masters-1.016.png
5 KB, 160x152
>>3358587
The NGPC version is pretty good as well.

It also has neat little details like the random SNK figures at the trophy room.
>>
>>3358839
NO ONE would list those as their top 3 except OP. He actually picked underrated stuff.
>>
Some NeoGeo games are too large in size so they were never released for the NeoGeo CD.

Why haven't people ripped and downsampled these game to play on NeoGeo CD-R like was done with Dreamcast games?
>>
File: magicianlord.jpg (91 KB, 640x803) Image search: [Google]
magicianlord.jpg
91 KB, 640x803
Transformations were badass
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.