[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /vr/. I tend to play WRPGs, especially but not exclusively
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: final-fantasy-4-gameplay2.png (93 KB, 480x272) Image search: [Google]
final-fantasy-4-gameplay2.png
93 KB, 480x272
Hey, /vr/. I tend to play WRPGs, especially but not exclusively those from the mid-late 90s. But I'd like to get more into JRPGs.

JRPGs I've played and enjoyed:

>Final Fantasy IV
>Final Fantasy VII
>Secret of Mana
>Seiken Densetsu III
>Secret of Evermore
>Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
>Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
>Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2
>Bravely Default

Secret of Mana was my favorite (which I'm aware is controversial), but I really want some turn-based JRPGs, because I like to play at a slow pace while also half watching TV. I'm particularly fond of grid-based tactics like in FFTA.
>>
Why don't you play the original FFT, then? It's quite better than the others.
>>
Shin Megami Tensei and Etrian Oddyssey are the only jRPG series I like, they are dungeon crawling games

However EO is not retro and is mostly aimed at child molestors
>>
If you enjoyed FF4 you'll enjoy anything. 4 is the blueprint for generic JRPGs. Literally anything is more interesting.
>>
>>3352685
If you like tactics games, try the original Final Fantasy Tactics, Vandal Hearts, Tactics Ogre, and Shining Force. You might also be into Ogre Battle, but it's more of a slow-paced RTS with RPG elements to it.

For more JRPGs, play the other final fantasy games. 5 and 6 are hailed as some of the best in the franchise. Also, play Chrono Trigger, which is in my opinion squaresoft's best game on the SNES.

Final Fantasy Adventure is pretty old and temperamental, but it's the prequel to Secret of Mana, so I think you might enjoy it.

There's also a whole world of Enix RPGs of which you haven't even broken the surface. Dragon Quest, the Soul Blazer series (which includes Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma), the 7th Saga, Brain Lord.

Also I'd be remiss if I didn't at least mention Earthbound. It's pretty universally loved if you're a JRPG fan, though it's kinda divisive. Give it a shot.

There's also an assload of JRPGs on the playstation, I'd recommend checking out square's catalog there.
>>
Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals is a game I would definitely check out.
>>
>>3352685
What version of ff4 is this?
>>
>>3353076

PSP.
>>
Chrono Trigger is a must.
Megami Tensei/Persona are great.
Dragon Quest is good, simple fun, 4 and 5 are amazing.
Original Phantasy Star series has an interesting setting, 4 is the best.
Seconding Lufia 2 and the Mother series.
First Tales game (Phantasia) is pretty charming, but series is a mixed bag full of boring anime crap.
If you want something more advanced, try the Tri-Ace games like Star Ocean and of course Valkyrie Profile.
>>
File: arc the lad.png (543 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
arc the lad.png
543 KB, 500x500
>>3352685
Arc the Lad. If you like more grid-based RPGs then you'll like Arc. It's not as strategically deep as most SRPGs, it's more like a typical JRPG with a grid format for battles, but the games are some of the best PS1 JRPGs. Arc 1 is really short, like 10-15 hours tops, and ends on a cliffhanger. It's basically the prologue to Arc 2 which is an 80 hour game. The two games have a fantastic story and characters

Arc 3 and Twilight of the Spirits on PS2 are decent as well, but at the very least play 1 and 2.
>>
File: KnightBlazer.jpg (182 KB, 850x743) Image search: [Google]
KnightBlazer.jpg
182 KB, 850x743
Oh and Wild Arms, 2 especially if you like power armor. Pretty unique western setting for a JRPG. Although 4 and 5 get more sci-fi than western.
>>
>>3352685
Valkyrie Profile and Vandal Hearts for PSOne
>>
>>3352685
>Secret of Evermore
Wouldn't that technically be a WRPG, since it was developed by Square of America?
>>
>>3352685
If you liked Bravely Default, give Bravely Second a go
>>
>>3353860
No, that sequelis a bad game.
>>
>>3352718
Will do. Original version or the PSP remake?
>>3352736
I'll check it out, thanks.
>child molesters
What.
>>3352786
If it's "generic" that's because you've played a lot of games like it. I haven't played many JRPGs. Also, if it's the blueprint, doesn't that mean it was first? Not really its fault others copied it, then.
>>3352787
Thanks. Will do. Going to hold off on Final Fantasy Adventure for a while since it's not turn-based, but I'll play it.
>>3353074
Thanks for the recommendation.
>>3353076
I Googled for the GBA version because that's the one I played back in the day, but I wasn't paying attention and evidently it's >>3353078
>>3353093
I'll add all of those to my list. Thank you.
>>3353103
Thank you for the recommendation.
>>3353143
I think I played Wild Arms 2 or 3 when I was a kid. Had some guy who threw knives to solve puzzles? That may be a recurring thing. I don't know.
>>3353831
Thank you.
>>3353853
I get where you're coming from, but I think it's like when people talk about "Eurogames" and "Ameritrash" in board games. It refers to a style more than anything at this point.
>>3353860
>>3353950
I intend to at some point. But right now I want things I can emulate on my computer.
>>
>>3353950
What makes it bad? I'm about to buy it later this week.
>>
>>3353983
I'm in the same boat as you and I just recently started playing FF6. It's great so far. Would wholeheartedly recommend if you're looking for something to play on an emulator.
>>
>>3353985
Awful writing, makes the first one seems Sahkespearean.
>>
Grandia.
>>
>>3354071
And the first two Suikoden, can't believe I forgot about them.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.