[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Today marks the one-year anniversary of Satoru Iwata's passing.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: Iwata.jpg (15 KB, 372x210) Image search: [Google]
Iwata.jpg
15 KB, 372x210
Today marks the one-year anniversary of Satoru Iwata's passing.

Are you playing anything today to honor him?
>>
I think he'd be happy with people enjoying video games in general, whether they were programmed by him or not.

But no, sadly I'm too tired to play video games today.
>>
Iwata was a garbage president and killed Nintendo in the long run.
>>
File: owtheedge.jpg (29 KB, 400x366) Image search: [Google]
owtheedge.jpg
29 KB, 400x366
>>3352260
>>
All I have is a Wii, Sega Genesis, PS3 and N64. Maybe Ill get some NES games on virtual console. Any of his games you guys would recommend?
>>
>>3352289

Pinball and Balloon Fight
>>
>>3352289
Most Nintendo games of the SNES era and later have him as a Producer credit at least; the Nintendo wiki has a list of game's he's been credited for and which ones he actually worked on.

His self-admitted personal favorite, as far as I remember, was Balloon Fight on NES, so give that a go. Last year I played that and Kirby's Adventure on the day of his passing, so I'm loading those up again today.
>>
>>3352245
Has it really been a year? My god. Time flies.
>>
>>3352287
He's not wrong, m8.

Good game designer, bad CEO
>>
>>3352245
playing with ur mum's 4 inch clit and eating cum idiot
>>
>>3352429
>bad CEO

Iwata was the man behind Nintendo's "Touch Generations" initiative, which brought the DS and Wii to the public.

Remind me again how that went?

Regardless of how you feel about Nintendo's business philosophy, Iwata pushed the company in a direction which brought them MASSIVE success.

Bad CEO my ass.
>>
>>3352459

Ignore him, this isn't /v/. Let's talk about Iwata's games.
>>
>>3352459
Good for profit, bad for core fans.

Need I remind you how many games forced awful waggle and touch gimmicks into the games?
>>
File: vspinbal.png (3 KB, 256x240) Image search: [Google]
vspinbal.png
3 KB, 256x240
Pinball is one of those games I find myself constantly coming back to. I have a real soft spot for video pinball games and for some reason this is one of my favorites. Something about the simplicity of play mixed with the physics that feel just right. Nudging would have been a welcome edition. Even Revenge of the Gator didn't have nudging for some reason.

That being said, the arcade Vs. version of Pinball damn near made me moist. Holy shit what a nice little upgrade this was. If someone would just make a romhack that saves scores, it'd be something I'd have to have in a physical form.
>>
>>3352517
Don't forget the "We are not directly competing with Sony/MS" or "it's not about specs". Nintendo are still trying to recover from having a terrible third-party support.
>>
>>3352517
Like I said, Nintendo's business philosophy isn't to everyone's taste.

Some people applaud the fact that Nintendo never try to take the easy route, that they keep pushing the envelope of what interactive entertainment should be.

Other people can't be fucked with their constant gimmicky bullshit and just wish they'd get back to doing what they do best.

But that's no reflection on Iwata's record as a CEO. The man drove Nintendo to some of their biggest successes to date.
>>
I remember I had gotten my copy of Balloon Fight - a game I had wanted for a good 15 years - just a couple weeks before he passed. That's almost fateful coincidence.
>>
No, probably not. Maybe Pinball, that's my go to time waste game if Columns isn't available.
>>
File: pauline.png (150 KB, 344x364) Image search: [Google]
pauline.png
150 KB, 344x364
>>3352525

Same here, there's a lot of good Pinball games, but the NES Pinball remains one of my favorites. I can play it any time and get hooked, sometimes for hours.
I started playing it on Animal Crossing recently, and the good thing is that it saves your top score.
When I was a kid I used to play it on my famiclone, came in the first multicart I had. The title screen jingle is one of the most nostalgic vidya tunes for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYD4rkdUfbo
>>
File: Foto-0029.jpg (257 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Foto-0029.jpg
257 KB, 1280x960
Last year we had a thread here on /vr/ where we played Balloon Fight and tried to do Iwata's challenge on Balloon Trip, that is, get 20 balloons in a row until they change color.

Here's the video from GCCX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qdRzxmgYWo

pic related is my personal score I did last year.
>>
/vr/ - Business Speculation
>>
File: 0000.png (3 KB, 256x240) Image search: [Google]
0000.png
3 KB, 256x240
Satoru Iwata Exciting Memorial Pinball Challenge!

Play Vs. Pinball in MAME and try to beat my score! If you do, post it.
>>
>>3352459
>Iwata pushed the company in a direction which brought them MASSIVE success.
Yeah, that's working out really well for Nintendo now ever since all the casuals abandoned Nintendo in favor of smartphone games.
>>
>>3352805
Like Pokemon Go?
>>
>>3352957
>Nintendo's doing so horribly they had to sell out to the mobile crowd

Oh how the mighty have fallen.
>>
>>3352965

This desu
>>
>>3352965
yeah doom!

DOOM!
>>
>>3352245
No, I don't like any of the games he made.
>>
>>3352996
Not even Earthbound, the best JRPG ever?
>>
most Nintendo systems aren't shit and dont give Iwata a 4/10 , he didn't make those systems
>>
>>3352971
>3ds: garbage

I disagree completely. And yeah the Wii may have been a gimmick but the thing basically printed money for Nintendo.
>>
>>3353008
It's good, but not that good.
>>
>>3352260
just stop
>>
>>3352459
cant be any more true!
>>
>>3352245
Iwata was also a nice guy...too bad he passed too soon.
>>
>>3352517
>Good for profit, bad for core fans.

Shame that Iwata's job was CEO which is all about trying to bring profit to a company, huh?
>>
>>3353008
I get bored of Earthbound shortly after the tutorial with Buzz-Buzz.
>>
I played balloon fight for the first time since almost his passing.

It's funny, early last year I was well on my way toward completing an extensive Balloon Fight collection. All the games, releases, toys, etc. Then I found out about Iwata's passing and I've just had trouble looking at the game the same way again.

I think I might just sell the stuff now, move on to a new pursuit. Game is still good at least.
>>
>>3352607
I did the 20 balloons just the other day

I didn't match that score though, too rusty. Let's do that again, I'll try harder this time.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.