[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do the GBA ports of the SNES Final Fantasy titles compare
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Final-Fantasy-VI-Advance.jpg (297 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
Final-Fantasy-VI-Advance.jpg
297 KB, 900x1200
I already got the GBA port of FFVI and I did not notice any problems it had compared to the SNES version of FFVI (aside from some alterations with the soundtrack). It was a good port otherwise, that matched the original graphically (which is impressive for the GBA).

How are the ports of FFV and FFIV? I have heard good things about the the FFV port (with some calling it the definitive version of the game), while I have heard mixed things on FFIV with many calling it the weakest of the ports, while others say it is overall better than the SNES version of FFIV.

So what is /vr/ 's take on them?
>>
I remember a lot of bad things being said, but I also remember some patches being made to fix the problems. If I recall, everyone hates the iOS ports now, since they are ugly as fuck.

So if you patch it, it becomes good. Otherwise I recall hearing the colors were dull or something? Don't know, I always play SNES when I wanna replay.
>>
>>3349808
Like I said, FFVIA seemed like a good port. The only thing that seemed to differ was the soundtrack which was more a fault of the hardware than the porting effort.
>>
>>3349804
>>3349975
I believe it has the same sort of issues as FFVI with its color palette changes to deal with the original GBA's screen, and that it has the same sort of patches for fixing this that the other two do.
>>
>>3349804
>matched the original graphically
The palette was brightened to compensate for the GBA's lack of a backlight. There's a patch that fixes the color and sound issue (with a new version of the sound patch being released recently). FFV and FFIV both suffer from the palette and sound problem but I think only V has a sound patch, though I could be wrong.

FFV has updated battle backgrounds and more classes as well as new end-game content (though the new classes are basically useless by the time you get them with one in particular being 100% useless since you only get it after clearing endgame). There's a patch for V called custom classes that gives you the endgame classes during the actual game, making them not so useless along with some other neat stuff but it requires the US version of FFV (the sound patch only works on the EU version) and the "other neat stuff" in the patch makes it not recommended for a first time player.

FFIV has some nice new endgame content, the party change feature, and the sprites and portraits from the WSC version. AFAIK there's no patches for the GBA version and the fact of the matter is, there's just better ports of FFIV so why even waste time on it?
>>
>>3349804
IV is bugged to be shitty compared to the original game. It's better than FF2 US, but that's not saying a whole lot.

V is better than the original game in every way but resolution and sound quality and has an infinitely more entertaining script than any other version of the game because instead of being retarded and dull, it embraced how ridiculous FFV is wholeheartedly.
>>
>>3350302
Not OP but can you clarify on this? Why would they change the script if people liked it so much? Seems rather odd
>>
>>3350771
I believe he's comparing the official translation (GBA) with the fan translation (SNES). Remember the SNES game never came out of Japan.
>>
FFIV on the PSP is basically FFIVA but better and with less glitches, so I'd get that instead unless you don't like the remade graphics. Some people complain it's too easy compared to the original SFC version, but meh.

FFVA is very good as long as you grab the sound restoration patch, as it fixes slowdown issues, as well as the sound. The translation is a lot better than the SNES fan translation (at least the old one that's been around for ages) and waaaaay better than the rushed Woolsey translation that only saw the light of day through the PS1 port. Extra content is kinda meh, but oh well.

I do not recommend FFVIA, even with the sound and color patches. There's a ton of slowdown in battles and on the airship, has some added censorship, and the extra content is mediocre with the exception of the new superbosses. The translation is technically better but undoubtedly blander. The SNES version looks, sounds, and performs better, especially with the Woolsey Uncensored patch.
>>
>>3350805

He probably is comparing the GBA translation to the PSX translation, which was dry, boring and shitty. The GBA translation is way better.
>>
I've played through FFIV on SNES and GBA, and while there was about a decade-long gap between playing, I feel like the difference was pretty marginal (besides "bonus content"). Graphical updates and translation changes were the most obvious but not significant. Still looks like the original game, unlike the more recent 3D remake.

I've only played FFV on GBA, but it was solid. Like IV and VI, it had some obvious graphical updates, but it still felt and played like a SNES RPG.

>>3350805
There was an earlier official translation on PS1

>>3350875
>There's a ton of slowdown in battles and on the airship
Are you basing this on the original hardware or emulation? I never had an issue with my copy
>>
>>3350942
Original hardware. It's a well-known and documented issue with both the FFV and FFVI ports. Just try casting one of the more fancy spells like Meteor.

I just noticed the sound restoration patch was recently updated, and it claims to now reduce the slowdown somewhat.
>>
>>3350960
Thanks for the info. Now that you mention Meteor, I think I know what you're talking about, and I kind of remember thinking the spell had some slo-mo cinematic thing going on. It's probably annoying if you're used to the SNES version, but it didn't phase me at all.
>>
>>3349804
They have shit graphics and sound in comparison. The supposed restoration patches don't even compare to the SNES originals.
>>
File: FFFFFFFFFFFFFVI.jpg (919 KB, 2256x1504) Image search: [Google]
FFFFFFFFFFFFFVI.jpg
919 KB, 2256x1504
>>3349808
droid/ios versions are disgusting. Everything clashes more then ff7
>>
>>3351120
The airship actually looks pretty good. That 3D is fuck ugly though, and I don't know how anyone could be proud of that spritework, even Kemco's mass produced $5 JRPGs look better than that mess. What's even worse is that the spritework for FFI, FFII and FFIV look so good on the PSP.

At least the portraits are nice.
>>
While there's an FF6 thread still here, I might as well drop in.

Question: Is Cyan good?

Everywhere I look online, it says don't even bother. This is my first run-through of the game and I just got to the World of Ruin. I used Cyan off and on till now, I gave him a Gauntlet and a True Knight.

He does okay as an offensive character, I just use Dispatch most of the time. However, if you got a lot of attack animations coming up, then you can charge him for Quadra Slam. Retort is really good against certain enemies. Quadra Slam leaves a lot to be desired though. He's clearly inferior to Sabin and Edgar, but I can't come to hate him cause he makes a good addition to the team when you need just a little extra raw firepower. I suppose later on once you get the offering, there's really no point in using his swordtechs at all. But would he still be worth using?

Basically, should I marry, fuck, or kill Cyan?
>>
>>3352797
No. Cyan is absolutely fucking terrible on every level.
>>
>>3352797
Because FF6 is so easy, he's fine to use. Just stick him in the back row and do what you're doing with Sword Tech 1/4. But he's clearly in the bottom tier when nearly every other character can become super overpowered.
>>
>>3352797
As >>3352885 says, FFVI is so easy you can use any character you please and steam roll through the game if you have any modicum of an idea of what you're doing. However, he's very clearly one of the worst characters in the game, second only to Umaro. If he were faster and his techniques didn't have that retarded charge-up gimmick, he'd be perfectly fine to use until you reach late game, where overpowered magic and combos like Offering+Genji Glove rule all.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.