[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please forgive me for this newfag-tier question, but can someone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: sorry.jpg (94 KB, 900x537) Image search: [Google]
sorry.jpg
94 KB, 900x537
Please forgive me for this newfag-tier question, but can someone explain what a flashcart actually is? Is a 32GB SNES flash cart a cartridge with the entire library of games on it, or is it a blank cart with 32GB of storage?
>>
>>3349746
The latter, you have to hack into the darknet to get the games.
>>
>>3349746
Blank cart, but 32GB is far more than you'll need. I can't speak for the SNES but the entire Genesis library fits into about 1GB
>>
>>3349774
snes has about 37gb of super mario world hacks
>>
File: disgust.png (23 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
disgust.png
23 KB, 640x400
>>3349790
>>
>>3349746
>Is a 32GB SNES flash cart
Doesn't exist. There are ED's and SD2SNES's. Neither come with a SD or microSD card.

A flash cart is just a cart that acts as whatever cart is needed. It replicates memory mapping or special chips in software or hardware to make sure things work as they should. Not everything is 100%, the NES carts still don't have 100%, the SNES carts still can't do SuperFX or SA-1, and a number of Genesis titles need to be patched to save properly.

You supply the SD or microSD card, and the roms you want to play. When you turn it on, you go through the menu and pick the game you want, load it and play as if you had the real cart. The size of card you want is related to the size of the library. No point in getting a 16GB card for NES, or 64GB for SNES, you can easily get by with 4GB or less for most 8 and 16 bit consoles.
>>
>>3349790
And less than 1GB of those are even worth trying, much less playable on a real SNES.
>>
>>3349796
Ok thanks, this was helpful

Are ED's reliable/good? I'm happy to get just the board if it's cheaper, but I noticed even the plastic cart is almost half the price of SD2SNES, why is this?
>>
>>3349835
Because the SuperED only supports basic SNES games(most of the library) and DSP games(if you get one installed, Pilotwings and Mario Kart). The SD2SNES can theoretically support just about everything with a few exceptions, but currently only supports DSP, MSU-1, CX4(Megaman X2 and X3), and some other minor chips, but not Super FX or SA-1 yet.

It costs more because it has higher-grade hardware basically. I went with the ED since I didn't care that much about X2 or X3, or the MSU-1 hacks, and I don't think the SD2SNES will get SuperFX or SA-1 support any time in the near future, but to each their own.
>>
>>3349843

Did the same here and I just laugh thinking that people actually paid twice the price for the SD2SNES for """"theoretical""" improvements. It's marketing genius.

Regarding the Everdrive though, if you order from the website you can select the chips you want (sans SuperFX) before you add it to the basket. With the lot it's about the best hardware set-up possible right now.
>>
File: smugsuka.jpg (29 KB, 279x304) Image search: [Google]
smugsuka.jpg
29 KB, 279x304
>>3349760
>hack into the darknet

lmao, you mean download ROMs?
>>
Oh yeah, one more thing. What would happen if I put a GBA rom on the SD card? I want to play Mother 3 on my tv, but I assume the snes just won't be able to read the gba rom right?
>>
>>3349952
oh wow we got a sharp one here
>>
>>3350247
You'll fly. Into the danger zone. Danger zone.
>>
>>3350247
There is some cart out there for playing gba on snes, but regualr snes flashcarts won't cut it for that purpose.
>>
It's a cart that you flash people with to get free games.
>>
>>3349746
A 32GB SNES flash cart doesn't exist. You're thinking a flash cart with a 32GB SD.
Chinese flash carts often come with an SD that has a bunch of games.
>>
File: 4343553996464.gif (1 MB, 390x252) Image search: [Google]
4343553996464.gif
1 MB, 390x252
>>3349952
>>
>>3352824
the joke text should fly behind his head

lame gif sorry go back to meme school
>>
>>3350247
GBA and SNES are very different hardware. A SNES can not read or execute a GBA game. Flash carts are "dumb" in that they just pretend to be a game cart of the device. They do not care about what exactly the game data looks like, they don't understand it anyway. And they definitely can not make a system understand a game from another system. Your best bet to play GBA roms on TV is a desktop GBA emulator hooked up to said TV
>>
>>3349774
Official US SNES library is about 4gb I think.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.