[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was there any consoles that had a service where you could download
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: 1468128153504.png (13 KB, 214x303) Image search: [Google]
1468128153504.png
13 KB, 214x303
Was there any consoles that had a service where you could download demos or full games back then?
>>
Sega Channel, which was impressively cutting edge at the time. utilized the internet before many households had even heard of the internet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Channel
>>
Yeah. Sega channel and uh... Snes' japan-only thing.
>>
>>3348770
There were a few Sega Channel being the most notable. Hell I think even Atari experimented with that concept before too.
>>
The bad thing about Sega Channel is that it was the reason games like Alien Soldier were never released in retail in the US.
People were either stuck importing the 50hz version, or in the best of cases, a bootleg JP cart.
>>
Sega Channel for genesis
SNES had something in Japan, forget the name. I remember it used radio waves or some shit which let those titles have higher quality music and even voice acting.
>>
>>3348890
>>3348779
Satellaview
>>
>>3348776
>>3348779
>>3348784
>>3348880
>>3348890

They had no downloaded demos.
>>3348894
Was a timed or streamed game service more than anything.
>>
>>3348909
>They had no downloaded demos
So? You asked if there had been services where you had been able to download demos *or* full games. Now begone.
>>
>>3348913
I'm not the OP, dumbass.

None of the shit you googled up or heard from your favorite eceleb is what the OP asked for.
>>
>>3348918
How is listing things that allowed you to download full games not fall under the criteria of "demos or full games"? If OP said "demos AND full games" you'd be right but even so you're just being a real pedantic cunt right now.
>>
File: DQVk2nq.jpg (88 KB, 562x800) Image search: [Google]
DQVk2nq.jpg
88 KB, 562x800
GameLine was a subscription service for the Atari 2600 that ran around 1983 that allowed you to download and play games by various smaller third-party developers like iMagic. (Naturally, none of the big guys like Activision or Parker Brothers were interested in playing along). The service also included free games on your birthday, online high-score leaderboards with contests, and a magazine called GameLiner.

The service died during the big US Games Industry Crash, but the founders and investors went on to start a new company, Quantum Computer Services, that ran the Commodore 64's online service: Quantum Link, which is its own fascinating story, including one of the first graphical MMOs ever made, Habitat by LucasArts.

Quantum went on to move beyond the Commodore systems and changed their name to America Online. You may have heard of them...
>>
>>3348924
Are you suggesting Sega Channel let you download full games?

I know you're underage but cmon, kiddo.
>>
>>3348929
Are you just pretending to be retarded right now? The only way to play Golden Axe 3 and Alien Soldier in America for the longest time was to either import them or download them through Sega Channel.
>>
>>3348909
Of course it was demos in some way. Just small teaser versions which would promote to buy the real/full game. On other view you could say it were DLCs with some extra story/levels/challenges. So imo it counts.
>>
>>3348929
....do you not know what the fucking Sega Channel was for?
>>
>>3348934
>>3348943
>>3348948

Stream =/= download.

It was called SEGA Channel for a reason, kiddos.

Only the games they had up on the channel were the ones you could play.
>>
File: 1436392868017.jpg (50 KB, 320x480) Image search: [Google]
1436392868017.jpg
50 KB, 320x480
>>3348952
Holy shit dude you're fucking stupid. It wasn't being streamed you weren't playing the game off some remote network it downloaded to the Sega Channel cart. How the hell do you think people managed to upload roms of Sega Channel exclusive games onto the internet years after it died if they were only being streamed?
>>
File: 1467472660758.png (689 KB, 600x929) Image search: [Google]
1467472660758.png
689 KB, 600x929
>>3348952
>kiddos

Ah, I remember you from the thread about iterative controller designs
>>
>>3348960
>>3348961
SEGA Channel doesn't save games, kiddos. Thanks for confirming you never used one.
>>
File: 1458091099165.png (316 KB, 432x413) Image search: [Google]
1458091099165.png
316 KB, 432x413
>>3348964
Except there were exclusive Sega Channel games uploaded online solely because they were still stored on the carts after it shut down which is also a reason why a lot of them have been lost forever. You're either just trying to start shit or realized you screwed up and are desperately trying to save face. Either way it's annoying as hell.
>>
>>3348918
I've seen you post that exact thing here before, you should be more subtle in the future. All you need now is a "kiddo."

Oh, nope, found it.
>>3348929
Yeah, might as well just be a namefag at this point. Defeating the purpose of anonymity.
>>
>>3348968
Just read the rest of the thread, I see I'm not the only one who recognized you. Ha ha. >>3348961
>>
>>3348967
Listen kid. The SEGA Chanel for Genesis doesn't save games. How they were saved I don;t know.
>>3348968
>>3348970
You kids are easy to spot also. Being you have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>3348972
Here's the confusion. It did download games, but then it deleted them when it was turned off.

It neither streamed them nor permanently downloaded them. Now fuck off with your semantics.
>>
File: fc8.png (455 KB, 680x681) Image search: [Google]
fc8.png
455 KB, 680x681
>>3348972
>>
>>3348972
The games were saved until you turned it back on again after shutting it down. The reason some exclusive games survived was because there were a few people who never started it back up again after downloading them.
>>
>>3348975
The thing streamed what ever was on the SEGA Chanel at the time. If the game you wanted wasn't on there you were shit out of luck.
>>3348979
Some determined people out there.
>>
"If the broadcast matched with the request from the adaptor, the program would be downloaded and stored in the unit's RAM. Nothing was saved permanently - if the user turned off the device all saved data would be lost. A soft reset of the console was still a possiblity, however."
>>
>>3348983
It didn't 'stream' a cart live. It simple broadcast the data over the line for the carts and when the game you wanted was being broadcasted it saved the broadcasted to RAM (downloading the entire game). You could do a soft reset on the system and maintain the game in RAM which was required to beat X-Men. It also kept the save data of the last game you played so you could play RPGs if you didn't download a different game since you last played.
>>
>>3349049
>It didn't 'stream' a cart live. It simple broadcast the data over the line for the carts and when the game you wanted was being broadcasted it saved the broadcasted to RAM (downloading the entire game).
We call that a "streaming service", champ.
>>
>>3349051
>We
No, "we" don't.
>>
>>3349056
Not sure what else a service that streams data for a limited time with no permanent storage for the end user would be called.
>>
>>3348770
nintendo did something similar to the sega channel thing with the snes satellite view.
>>
>most of this thread

*unsheaths katana and teleports behind you*
Time to say your prayers, kiddo.
*chops you're head off*
Nothin personnel...
>>
>>3348972
>I don;t know
The most intelligent thing you've said ITT. And you still couldn't type it right. I guess you were concentrating too hard on all that projecting, kiddo.
>>
Was Satellaview Zelda good?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.