[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how the fuck is retroarch so non-user friendly? I just wanna
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7
File: retroarch.png (1 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
retroarch.png
1 MB, 1600x900
how the fuck is retroarch so non-user friendly? I just wanna map an arcade stick but its only giving me controller configs for a 360 controller. I fucking hate this thing.
>>
It's basically a memeulator.
>>
I agree, really annoying stuff. I can't for the life of me think of why it needs to be this way.
>>
>>3345169
So your controls automatically map to the majority of console layouts by defining a single virtual controller layout it can work from...
>>
You gotta make a config file and set it up on that somehow, not that any tutorials exist. And good luck if your on android cause no good text editors exist
>>
>>3345169

Because the devs are stubborn as fuck and refuse to make it user-friendly under any circumstances. I don't know why.

But yeah, it's all in the config file. See if you can find any pre-made fight stick cfg's online and try deleting the file for the 360 one. If all else fails just open every file you see until you start to figure out how it works.
>>
>>3345371
Naw, devs are just power users.

Making the engine as good as it can be, having config files.

Why bother spending a bunch of time making a pretty ui when shits can change. Let someone else do that for now.
>>
>something isn't configured right
>crash retroarch with no message rather than handle it gracefully
Retroarch is fucking garbage. Use actual emulators.
>>
File: 1465621233907.jpg (49 KB, 576x384) Image search: [Google]
1465621233907.jpg
49 KB, 576x384
Works fine on my machine :^)
>>
>>3345124
It's shit made by an autist. Do things the way he wants or not at all.
>>
>its only giving me controller configs for a 360 controller.
Then that means the driver you're using for the arcade stick is xinput based. Nothing to do with retroarch itself- which, by the way, is possibly the most user-friendly emulator I've used since ZSNES.
>>
>>3345789
>is possibly the most user-friendly emulator
Try playing PS1 games.
>>
File: 1451766050288.png (9 KB, 1351x643) Image search: [Google]
1451766050288.png
9 KB, 1351x643
>>3345789
>>
>>3345797

>have BIOS in system folder
>have rips with valid cue sheets

It just works.
>>
>>3345124
>I just wanna map an arcade stick but its only giving me controller configs for a 360 controller.

Because it probably is a 360 controller internally.

Just turn off autoconfig and map it manually, it's not that hard.
>>
>>3345371
>>Because the devs are stubborn as fuck and refuse to make it user-friendly under any circumstances.

Is that why they expended all this effort in redoing the menus? If they were so stubborn, it would still be entirely command-line driven like it was before and the only GUI you had was the external Phoenix launcher.
>>
I really like the idea of RA (config your controller one time, access all your roms in a unified interface) but it usually ends up being more of a pain in the ass to get working compared to standalone emulators for everything. Still, the libretro project is pretty useful, and a good idea.
>>
>>3345479
Use "actual emulators" and find out many of them don't support some of the nice things that RA has.

It's all fun and games until you want to output games to your CRT. Or want vsync to actually be smooth instead of stuttering occasionally due to timing differences.

I think I'll take my chances...
>>
How do I make it play R-Type on Wii? It goes to a black screen
>>
>>3345876
>current year
>not using perfect ISOs
>>3345907
Or you could use a Wii and literally any other emulators.
>>
>>3345945

>any year
>not using redump BIN+CUE sets

lol
>>
>>3345952
BIN+CUE is a sad joke. The only disk image format worth using ever is ISO.
>>
File: spongecancer.jpg (33 KB, 540x468) Image search: [Google]
spongecancer.jpg
33 KB, 540x468
>>3345967
>no redbook audio
How the fuck can you even say that?
>>
>>3345973
lol, are you serious? Apparently you've never ripped a disc in glorious ISO format.
>>
>>3345973
Just ignore the idiot. No sane group uses .iso for CDs for obvious reasons, and only an idiot or troll would be trying to argue that .iso is a better format for CD rips than .bin+.cue.
>>
The only reason I personally like iso is because I can't mount bin/cue under pure dos.

no not dosbox, pure dos.

but yeah, no redbook audio..
>>
Man fuck retroarch on the psp. It wont save progress or give you savestates and I dont want to beat the first zelda on a sitting

But its still the best thing to run NES on the handheld

Fuck
>>
>>3345124
Retroarch takes only a few minutes to set up but you could say it's worth it for all the features and systems it crams into one program while being mobile. I'll always like Mednafen more though when it comes to multi-emus so to each their own
>>
>>3345967
We're you born this stupid?
>>
>>3345907
Every emulator I use does all of these things.

And they actually work like they're supposed to rather than being an ass-backwards pile of shit that is the modern equivalent of someone using fucking zsnes.
>>
File: jack3.jpg (27 KB, 300x216) Image search: [Google]
jack3.jpg
27 KB, 300x216
>>3345124

I find it to be very user friendly and pretty intuitive.You are just a retard.
>>
>>3345124
I haven't used it before, what makes RA so user unfriendly?
>>
>>3345835
the xinput part is true though

retroarch is shit though and i hope shitpusher reads this and comes in here to make himself look like an autist again
>>
>>3345124
Good luck with that. If you don't have a controller that resembles a snes pad or a 360 pad you are utterly FUCKED.
>>
>>3346021
I'm not that guy and I know virtually nothing about the specifics of either format, but can anyone explain what is the difference between bin/cue and iso? I always preferred iso files because it felt more organized to have the disc in a single file, but, again, I don't know anything about its quality.
>>
>>3345903

The main thing I like about it is the re-usability. The UI is a pain in the ass to learn once, but once you get gud with it it's the same interface across all emulated systems and any platform RA runs on.

E.G. I learned how to deal with its shit for NES on Linux, so I was able to jump right into SNES on Linux and GBA on Wii, MD on 3DS etc without any problems. In the past I had to learn different UIs for each combination of system and platform
>>
>>3347113
Well, .iso works fine for single-track disc images. What it doesn't do is capture header and error correction data, and it has no way of holding subchannel data.

.bin+.cue gets everything but subchannel, and you can have the subchannel data as .sub, allowing you to have an exact rip. .bin+.cue handles multi-track discs as well, which a lot of CD based games are because many times the audio is stored in basic Red Book CD format(separate tracks). You can't make a proper rip of Gran Turismo 2 or Castlevania SotN with .iso's because of this.

Because of this, redump and pretty much every other release group does CD games in .bin+.cue format. Everytime it's brought up, this one guy shows up to scream about how .bin+.cue is inferior to .iso because "lol, too many files!". He's an idiot or a troll, for the reasons I've just stated.
>>
>>3347113
.iso is a linear sequence of data blocks. dvd/bd and friends can generally dumped to .iso because the industry learned from cd experience its best to keep things simple as just a bunch of files on a data disk.

1:1 cd ripping is a hassle because cd's were designed around audio and definitely not data, and the audio disk layout standards are more convoluted and not nearly as robust as modern data disk layout standards.
to capture a cd you need to account for more than just a sequence of data blocks that .iso is limited to, cd audio tracks exist outside the data track and their error detection/correction system is much weaker.
>>
>>3346440
>>Every emulator I use does all of these things.

No they don't. Show me even one emulator that does dynamic rate control.
>>
>>3346440
RA works like it's supposed to for me. But then again I don't get angry even when it doesn't, I just report the bug and move on.
>>
>>3345797
again that is mednafen at 'fault'
>>
>>3347435
>dynamic rate control
What? Sounds like a buzzword for keeping the goddamn framerate constant, which every single emulator ever does.
>>
>>3347478
It keeps the frame rate in perfect sync with your display, not just constant.

https://github.com/libretro/libretro.github.com/raw/master/documents/ratecontrol.pdf
>>
>>3347484
>reads
So yes, it's a buzzword for keeping the goddamn framerate constant (with your display, what else would it be constant with, you fapping over your pile of shit meme emulator?), which every emulator does.
>>
>>3347497

No, you didn't read it. If it were just keeping the frame rate constant without adjusting for the timing differences between the emulated game and your system display and audio rate, you can't get 100% perfect sync, since the refresh rate of the display can sometimes fluctuate by a couple of thousandths of a Hz, resulting in frame time deviation and a dropped/doubled frame after that difference builds up.

I've never encountered a single emulator that did anything like this besides higan, which doesn't do it dynamically since byuu cannot into math.
>>
>>3347516
Every standalone emulator got around this though by running the games at 60hz. They were synced perfectly, they just weren't running at the exact same speed as the original hardware, but that doesn't matter coz it's like 0.0000001% difference.
>>
>>3347516
I never encountered an emulator that was as 120hz/144hz friendly. Most of them I had to run at fullscreen at 60hz. With RA I don't have to do that -and- I can use black frame insertion as well on pretty much any platform.
>>
>>334751
>I've never encountered a single emulator that did anything like this besides higan, which doesn't do it dynamically since byuu cannot into math.

AFAIK, standalone GPGX on Wii does dynamic samplerate adjustment as well
https://github.com/ekeeke/Genesis-Plus-GX/commits/master/gx/gx_video.c
>>
>>3345128
Dont mememelater, mememenow
>>
>>3345124
>Mednafen PSX doesn't give me rumble so try Retro Arch because I heard about it
>XMedia Bar ripoff ui
>Can't navigate with my mouse for anything
>Browsing files doesn't use windows explorer and starts at the base, which also doesn't allow for copypasting the location
>Still don't get any rumble because Retro Arch just uses Mednafen PSX anyways
I wasted about half an hour configuring Retro Arch and I don't even use it after that one test session.
>>
This will sound like blasphemy to some, but I just emulate and not worry if its exact to the original game. If I want to play it exactly the way it came out, I just play the original game, in authentic hardware.
>>
>>3348582
You don't get it. You can't sync perfectly by just running at 60Hz, you must make minuscule timing adjustments dynamically or else you will eventually run into a dropped frame. The oscillators in your system are not precise enough to guarantee 100% accurate timings 100% of the time.
>>
File: retro arch is a bitch.png (156 KB, 753x589) Image search: [Google]
retro arch is a bitch.png
156 KB, 753x589
Can someone please tell me why any of these shades are not loading, its highly infuriating
>>
>>3349478
Rubbish. Zsnes, nesticle, genecyst, callus, kgen98 etc back in the 90s had perfect sync with vsync/triple buffering enabled.

This whole dynamic rate control shit is way overblown. It's cool and all but people act like smooth scrolling and clear audio in an emulator was impossible before retroarch was invented. You're kidding yourselves.
>>
>>3345183
>The emulator's input lag isn't enough, let's add even more input lag !
>>
>>3346461
the only problem is they changed the default menu driver to that shitty psp knockoff menu

back when rgui was the default menu we never got this many retards asking how to change settings
>>
>>3350820
Try changing your video driver setting (under the drivers options menu, not the video one). I think a lot/most/all shaders only work under the gl setting in my experience. Or just try fiddling with it, fuck if I know.
>>
>>3345124
Use mednafen and the gui. Mednafen > retroshit
>>
>>3351075
>had perfect sync with vsync/triple buffering enabled.

It's not perfect sync if it doesnt make audio adjustments, period.

Keep denying the facts and believing your beloved standalone emulators are hot shit, it totally doesn't undermine your position.
>>
>>3345907
>wanting vsync at all
enjoy your input lag
>>
>>3351341
It's cute how ignorant /vr/ is sometimes.
>>
>>3351381
Enjoy your tearing.
>>
>>3351084
>I don't know what I'm greentexting about.
>>
File: are_you_fuckking_kidding_me.jpg (3 KB, 125x116) Image search: [Google]
are_you_fuckking_kidding_me.jpg
3 KB, 125x116
>>3345124
>retroarch
>non-user friendly
I bet you prefer IOS because android is too hard
>>
>>3347093
That's a shame.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.