[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
3DO vs Jaguar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: Jag_vs_3DO.jpg (58 KB, 1088x504) Image search: [Google]
Jag_vs_3DO.jpg
58 KB, 1088x504
Which system has better 3D?

Which system has better 2D?

Which system has better FMV?

Which system has better music?

Which system has better sound effects?

Which system has the better game library?

Which system has the better homebrew scene?

Which system has better controllers?

Which system's failure on the console market was more tragic?

What are the games that show the full potential of each console?
>>
I think the 3DO had better controllers, better sound and a better library (Street Fighter 2, Star Control 2, Road Rash). Jaguar probably had better 3D. I think the Jaguar was probably the more tragic failure since the 3DO was doomed from the start with its weird licensing arrangement.
>>
I don't think anyone can argue 3do had the better library. On paper its library was bretty good for a first console.
>>
Jaguar had too complicated architecture so we've never managed to see what this machine is capable of.
Jaguar CD is a joke.
I suppose, Jaguar failure was more tragic, because it killed Atari. 3DO just became a publisher.
>>
3DO is better in all fronts, and still a decent console. I want to get the mpeg addition for mine so I can play vcd's
>>
>>3344554
Why do you want to play VCDs in this day and age? What's stopping you from using your DVD/BD player or computer for them?
>>
>>3344330
>Which system has better 3D?
Jaguar for the most part. 3DO wasn't a great 3D powerhouse.
>Which system has better 2D?
Pretty much even in terms of capability, but 3DO had better games.
>Which system has better FMV?
>Which system has better music?
>Which system has better sound effects?
3DO due to being a CD based console. Jaguar CD barely had any games.
>Which system has the better game library?
3DO because it actually had a few games worth playing. It had a pretty solid library for what it was.
>Which system has the better homebrew scene?
Does either really have one?
>Which system has better controllers?
This isn't even a question, 3DO. It's basically a Genesis controller with shoulder buttons.
>Which system's failure on the console market was more tragic?
Neither was really tragic, but I'll say Jaguar. The 3DO Company was still young and they were already making games for PS1 right after the 3DO console's lifespan ended.
>What are the games that show the full potential of each console?
Need for Speed and Road Rash on 3DO. Nothing really pushed the Jaguar because it was hard to program for, but it did have the best console version of Doom (at the time) and the definitive Tempest 2000.
>>
>>3344559
Isn't 32X Doom better than Jag Doom.
>>
>>3344571
32X Doom had missing levels.
>>
>>3344582
Jaguar Doom also has missing levels (when compared to the original) but it's still more complete than the 32X version. Also it has better resolution and framerate.
>>
>>3344558
>day and age

You ask this on a retro board?
>>
>>3344584
Jaguar Doom is the Doom Carmack made it by itself.
>>
>>3344585
Because it's stupid. I don't watch VHS either just because it was all I had back then.
VCD weren't even relevant in the developed world.
>>
File: DSCN0190.jpg (445 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0190.jpg
445 KB, 1600x1200
>>3344589
except all the vcd repacks on the web for pirating movies back then. I want it because I couldn't afford one when I bought my 3DO with summer job money. I still watch Disney vhs with my kiddo, except I have a line doubler now to play them in 480p. Hoping to find a svhs player in the wild but I might break and get one from the bay.
>>
>>3344589
I still have loads of series on VCD. It's nostalgia.
>>
File: DSCN0724.jpg (840 KB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0724.jpg
840 KB, 2272x1704
>>3344590
Found the pic. Still have the box and all the goodies too. I was 11 in 1994 btw. I played Road Rash on the demo console in the Electronics dept. and had to have it. Dad wouldn't spring for it (already had a snes and genesis) so I ground low level jobs until I had the gil to buy it myself.
>>
Wait, people actually watched VCD's? I thought that was just an Asian thing.
>>
>>3344598
VCDs were the shit. You were able to buy them for cheap at your local video store that managed to have an anime section.
>>
>>3344606
Well, I'll be. Here in USA we only used VHS up until DVD took over in the '00s.
>>
>>3344330
>Hot steaming turd vs hot steaming turd

Why even make this thread?
>>
>>3345116
>3DO
>turd
>>
>>
I don't have a screenshot right now, but in Metal Gear Solid, in the room where you meet Hal and Grey Fox, there's a black console in one of the desks. That ins't a Net Yaroze, that's a 3DO. MGS was originally going to come out on the 3DO first before moving development on the PS1.
>>
>>3344589
>because it's stupid
Just like your opinion
>>
>>3344612
>Here in USA we only used VHS
Tell that to the 300 laserdiscs I have stored away.
>>
>>3344587
Carmack worked on the 32x version too, if at least partially. There are interviews of Sega guys stating so.

32x version ended up shitty because it was released incomplete due to deadlines.

Also, Jaguar version had no music as I recall, since the sound chip could be used for general processing, and they used it for extra math.

Carmack praised the Jaguar a lot for how customizable the Jaguar architecture was, by the way. It was a bit similar to todays videocards, in that you could rewire it however you want to do any kind of processing, instead of just video or sound.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.