[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did each major video game console company (Sony, Nintendo,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (233 KB, 620x430) Image search: [Google]
image.png
233 KB, 620x430
What did each major video game console company (Sony, Nintendo, Sega, etc.) bring to the table that the others did not? It seems like nowadays Nintendo has the best first-party titles, PlayStation has the best third-party support and the Xbox is the best all-in-one media center in addition to playing games.

How was this in retro times?

Pic unrelated
>>
Nintendo brought to the table being for babies and manchildren who run away when they see blood because they are immature babyfags and can't handle a deep, dark, serious game like I can. Sega and Sony had games that reflected the inner darkness and scarring of my soul from having two Christmases since my parents were divorced, while Nintendo did kiddy shit because nintentoddlers are fucking babies who never had to rough it in high school like real people, like me, who had to deal with bullies and preppy douchebags since they didn't understand my real power...
>>
>>3342935
10/10

I hope you get the girl anon
>>
What I liked about the old days was the fact that multiplatform games were usually different on every console. The "same" game could yield an entirely different experience depending on which platform you were playing on. Nowadays, there's no real difference between versions.
>>
>nowadays Nintendo has the best first-party titles
Oh how I wish that was true.

Anyway, with Nitendo, SEGA and Sony, you can basically chart out the maturation of video games as a medium.

Nintendo made video games the ultimate children's toy. When those children grew older, SEGA gave them a wider variety of experiences, in everything from actual blood in video games to pushing the boundries of what video games could mean to people. And devs on the SNES picked up the slack in Nintendo's stead.

And when those kids finally grew up, Playstation boldly proclaimed that video games are for adults. Playstation was the first game system on which you could go from smashing wooden crates as an anthropomorphic marsupial to learning about the realities of nuclear proliferation all with the switch of a disc.
>>
Sure, there had been video games designed for adults since the mid-eighties on PCs, but those never had such a huge cultural impact because they were released on what were considered machines designed for work. Sure, you had monumental breakthroughs like graphic adventure games, strategy games and first-person shooters, but since they were still on PC, they didn't have the cultural and lifestyle significance that consoles provided - especially in a time before LAN cafesand widespread online gaming, when LAN deathmatch parties were relegated to school computer rooms and home multiplayer with friends usually meant playing local versus fighting games on a console.

Besides the games they helped create (which would not have found an audience on computers even back then, for various reasons), it was the legitimization of video games as art form, industry, identity and lifestyle that consoles brought to the table.
>>
File: 1431780927293.jpg (12 KB, 245x251) Image search: [Google]
1431780927293.jpg
12 KB, 245x251
>>3342935
>>
SEGA had a deal with EA that gave them all the sports games for the Genesis. This console also focused more on arcade style games, blood and guts and fast-paced action over the RPGs and cartoony platformers on the SNES where faux orchestral music was preferred over the Genesis' rock and funk video game music.

People liked the Playstation because it was cheap and easy to develop for, Sony had huge brand power back in the 90s, SEGA had fucked up with the SEGA CD and 32x and most importantly Sony focused on 3D to the point of forcing some developers into that direction. 3D was really exciting back then.
>>
>>3343046
Except EA made sports games for the SNES too. I don't get why people think that the Genesis had all the sports games. It had BETTER sports games, but that's because EA was better at programming for the Genesis in general.
>>
>>3343062
EA made their own cartridges for the Genesis. I'm saying sports games were part of the Genesis' image and part of what drew people towards the console.
>>
>>3342935
Is this a new copypasta?
>>
>>3343070
You literally said that Genesis had "all the sports games". But that's not true. SNES had just as many.

Also, Genesis had plenty of "cartoony platformers" of its own.

I feel like this "Genesis had SPORTS! SNES had PLATFORMERS!" is some modern revisionist bullshit, because I had both consoles and a fairly equal diversity of games for both.
>>
>>3342930
>It seems like nowadays Nintendo has the best first-party titles
That would be terribly sad.
>>
>>3343136
For you
>>
File: Narumeme.jpg (77 KB, 500x705) Image search: [Google]
Narumeme.jpg
77 KB, 500x705
>>3342935
holy fuck is this copypasta? or legit meme man?
SNES had the best port of DOOM and MK so..?
>>
>>3342935
wew
>>
>>3342935
I know this is supposed to be exaggerated satire but this is what 80% of anti-Nintendo posts on here sound like
>>
>>3343317
>only 80%
You're being quite humble there.
>>
>>3343136
Main-line (not spinoff) Mario games continue to be incredible, as do most Zelda games (triforce heroes aside).

Sm4sh is also really fucking good, though I suppose that's technically third party?
>>
File: 5 Star Post!!.jpg (33 KB, 351x440) Image search: [Google]
5 Star Post!!.jpg
33 KB, 351x440
>>3342935
>>
>>3344372
Wouldn't that be second-party, considering Nintendo is the publisher and has the rights to the franchise?
>>
>>3344532
Probably. I freely admit I don't understand the difference between 3rd and 2nd party.
>>
>>3342935
If this isn't pasta we need to make it pasta.
>>
>>3342935
9.9/10, you should have called Nintendo fans yanks somewhere in there
>>
>>3342960
>>3342982
fuck, some of the best summaries of the respective topics that i've read. well done.
>>
>>3342935
This is written almost exactly like how I would expect a 9 year old in the 90s to write stuff.
>>
>>3342935 (You)
>>
>>3342930
>pic unrelated
Zinger is on the left, it's a real wasp. Buzzer is on the right, it's mechanical. There is nothing wrong with DKC3's enemy design.
>>
>>3349345
Buzz would have looked better in banjo Kazooie or something
>>
>>3342935
this guy
>>
>>3350031
Agreed
>>
>>3350045
Me on the left
>>
>>3342930
Nintendo had the best platformers and adventure games, Sega had the best arcade ports (and usually best versions of cross-console games), and Sony was good at everything
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 500x750
>>3342935
>>
>>3343317
But you can't deny its true though
>>
>>3343115
Genesis was known more for its better sports games.
Snes was know more for its platformers and rpgs.

The same game would come out on both systems, and generally if it was a sports game, it was better on the genesis, and vice versa for platformers on the snes.

Chill out.
>>
The kids with rich white families had the Snes, and subscriptions to Nintendo power and lots of different games. All while the poor Black and Hispanic kids with poor families had a beat up genesis with 3 to 5 different copies of madden. They didn't even have a superior game such as Sonic the Hedgehog.

The consoles between the Genesis and the Playstation were merely meaningless, as they were just mere play things bought by over-privileged families.

Several years after the Playstations release, it leveled the playing field as by this time, the Hispanics and Blacks were able to save enough to buy a console after the price came down.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.