[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was up with EA's obsession with 5fps early 3D flight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 14
What was up with EA's obsession with 5fps early 3D flight sims?

They're everywhere on PC and Genesis. I guess they must have been big sellers despite the shit performance.
>>
File: f22 genesis.webm (2 MB, 638x434) Image search: [Google]
f22 genesis.webm
2 MB, 638x434
>overclocked console/play the games on Megasis emulator/increase cycles in DosBox
>?????

I can understand what you mean though, the games were too advanced for the hardware they're designed at the time
>>
>>3341654
Since we began to talk about too advanced games for hardware, I'd like to mention Road Rage.
It uses actual software scaling.
>>
I always wanted an overclocked Genesis core for the Mega Everdrive so I could run these 3D games full speed.
>>
Flying a fighter jet in 3d on your home console in the 1991 was awesome, 5fps was playable back then for these kinds of games.
>>
>>3345565
in 1989 MS Flight Simulator gave you a steady +20fps
>>
>EA
You mean Microprose?
>>
>>3345571
Microprose wouldn't bother with stuttery 5fps
>>
>>3345576
Tell that to F-15 Strike Eagle II on the Genesis.
>>
>>3345578
wait, why would you bother playing these games on anything but a desktop computer?
>>
>>3345567
You needed a pretty high end computer for that in 1989
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTrZLlC643c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5qZfFmBNaM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8bBV7uzbSs

f-15,and gunship turn into maximum ammo conservation for maximum damage games.
And solo flight was fsx 2000 of 1983.
>>
>>3345579
Because not everybody had a computer in 1993? I didn't get my first real desktop computer until the turn of the millennium.
>>
>>3345571
I always see them on the yellow tab carts.
>>
>>3346182
F-15 Strike Eagle II and Gunship were on Genesis, both Microprose games.

Though Gunship was a... loose port, to say the least.
>>
>>3345565
I agree, expectations were much lower. Heck even Doom was capped at 35 fps, and it was revolutionary.
Quite simply, if you didn't grow up with that old stuff, and you judge everything according to modern games, then you're missing the point. Those games sold and people played them because they were actually good and cutting edge back then.
>>
>>3346610
>even Doom was capped at 35 fps
you're a memeshitter

>cutting edge
and clueless
>>
File: Figher Pilot CPC.png (5 KB, 384x272) Image search: [Google]
Figher Pilot CPC.png
5 KB, 384x272
>>3346610
Also, my first flight sim:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=KKFxXFogZEE
https://youtube.com/watch?v=3TJ1DdURN54
I used to spend hours playing this. It was an early flight sim for 8-bit computers (I had Amstrad CPC with the green monitor, like pic), and amazingly immersive despite not even drawing hills and mountains (you had to look at the map to find out where those were).
IBM PC could do better because it was a more beefy machine. Ditto with Amiga, Atari ST.
>>
>>3346618
>amazingly immersive despite
back in the 90s simulation professionals, people working with physical flight simulators for pilot training, driving simulators, army simulators, etc, would tell you, and be pretty right about it, that graphical detail is far less necessary for immersion than people think. What matters more is that the world being simulated is internally consistent and reacting as expected to player input.
That's why simulators of the time didn't bother with photorealistic graphics. They were expensive as fuck, had mad number crunching hardware, high end machines, yet just the most basic visuals to "work".
Even though your simulation had little more than a blue and green screen split by a moving line, that line behaved exactly as you would expect from a horizon as seen from an airplane. No lack of detail or lack of framerate could detract from that. That's why it worked
>>
File: frigate_1.png (4 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
frigate_1.png
4 KB, 640x400
>>3346624
That reminds me, there were some text-only simulators. Here's one for DOS.
>>
File: frigate_4.png (5 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
frigate_4.png
5 KB, 640x400
>>3348925
>>
File: page107.gif (58 KB, 756x994) Image search: [Google]
page107.gif
58 KB, 756x994
Lunar Lander type simulation for hardcopy teletypes (obviously doesn't run in realtime though).
http://atariarchives.org/basicgames/showpage.php?page=106
>>
>>3346624

>that graphical detail is far less necessary for immersion than people think

This. It's a shame shiny graphics still is a selling point and it makes people ignore the game's quality. For a non-retro example, rFactor 1 still miles ahead (considering simulation values) than the beautiful Project Cars. Fuck, GPL is more satisfying than PC and it's almost 20 years older.
>>
>>3341454
Absolutely terrible games, especially 688 Attack Sub. These were the types of games you rent when everything else was gone. I doubt many bought this drek on Genesis.
>>
>>3348925
>>3348927
Name of this game?
>>
>>3349307
first line of the first screen, and the filename
>>
>>3349313
Thanks bro, probably should have been more observant.
>>
File: air-traffic-controller_1.png (5 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
air-traffic-controller_1.png
5 KB, 640x400
If you like the text mode style, there's others in that style.
>>
File: air-traffic-controller_4.png (3 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
air-traffic-controller_4.png
3 KB, 640x400
>>3351359
>>
File: air-trax2.gif (4 KB, 630x298) Image search: [Google]
air-trax2.gif
4 KB, 630x298
this shot is from another game entirely called Air Trax
>>
File: jetset_1.gif (4 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
jetset_1.gif
4 KB, 640x400
And here's one where you actually get to fly!
>>
File: jetset_2.gif (6 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
jetset_2.gif
6 KB, 640x400
>>3351370
Jetset is a primitive ASCII-only flight simulator program coded entirely in BASIC. This version is coded from the BASIC codes printed in an early BYTE! Magazine, sometime around 1979. You control the plane from a first-person perspective, watching all the gauges and dials as you try to take off, fly the plane, and eventually land. Although short on realistic scenery (there's not much you can do with ASCII graphics to represent terrain), the game is long on realism and playability, offering a surprisingly robust physics model given the limitations of BASIC language. Well worth a look, especially to armchair pilots who collect mouldy oldie flight programs. Who knows, this could very well be the first PC flight simulation game in existence ;)

Reviewed by: Underdogs
>>
File: submarine_3.png (6 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
submarine_3.png
6 KB, 640x400
Here's one that was published by Softdisk.
>>
File: submarine_4.png (6 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
submarine_4.png
6 KB, 640x400
>>3351387
>>
>>3351370
>>3351371

I love this kind of ancient (even for /vr/ standard) computer games, people truly loved gaming at that time
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.