[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>the soundtrack sampling a Van Halen riff without any kind
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: 2608328-lego_island_cover.png (781 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
2608328-lego_island_cover.png
781 KB, 640x640
>the soundtrack sampling a Van Halen riff without any kind of acknowledgment

How did they get away with this shit?
>>
File: legoislandpolice.jpg (123 KB, 875x620) Image search: [Google]
legoislandpolice.jpg
123 KB, 875x620
>>3340225
link much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtPp0ovsINw
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw3ZyB3DBvo
>>
Game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIYy5Z39XVE
Van Halen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNnZsHbxvYM
>>
>>3340225
I love that CGI, it feels really comfy in a way.
>>
File: 1308110882771.jpg (11 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1308110882771.jpg
11 KB, 240x240
>>3340597
Fucking Lego
>>
>>3340626
Me too. I'd be interested if nowadays they could render that style in real time.
>>
>>3341358
I doubt it as the renders in OP's pic are ray traced.
>>
THE DUDE WITH THE FOOD
>>
>>3342918
KILLEN MED KÄKET
>>
File: lego island.png (102 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
lego island.png
102 KB, 640x480
Let's stop for a second and revisit Pepper's Intro FMV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW0XZVxtnLc&t=2m23s

It starts out with him doing a double backflip while saying "perfect angle, 45 degrees!" This of course makes no sense. He lands on the ground at a (presumably) zero degree incline, and his double backflip completes 720 degrees of rotation; where is forty-five coming from? He then launches off another ramp, and continues to make even less sense. As he has spun approximately 270 degrees, he shouts "90 degrees!". When he reaches 450 degrees of rotation, he says "45 degrees, I've got more degrees than a thermometer!" Of course, there are thermometers that reach past 45 degrees (or 450 for that matter), but for the sake of argument let's assume Pepper is talking about a common household thermometer. Pepper's statement of "more degrees than a thermometer" would only make any sense if he were in a region using Celsius thermometers, but quite frankly I don't have the time to deduce where Lego Island is located. Anyways, he completes his second full (720 degrees), going on to say "10 degrees, I got more degrees than a professor!" The average professor really only needs a doctorate (on top a master and bachelor degree as well as post-doctorate experience), but there are certainly people with more than ten college degrees, such as Benjamin Bolger who has twenty-nine. However, the next part is even most confusing.
>>
File: no pizaz.png (93 KB, 435x328) Image search: [Google]
no pizaz.png
93 KB, 435x328
>>3343647
As the camera cuts to 900 degrees of rotation, Pepper says he is a "mongo-footed professor nar nar". "Mongo footed" means that you push your skateboard with your front foot instead of your back foot, however, we see Pepper pushing with his back foot earlier on in the video, meaning he does not push mongo. Obviously Pepper is not a professor; that goes without saying. But most importantly, what does "nar nar" mean? I first saw this video when I was about five or so, and ever since then I have had absolutely no idea what he means. Perhaps he's saying something else, and I'm just mishearing it. Either way, this is by far the most confusing thing I have heard in any video game.

Then finally, he says "five degrees and touchdown", even though he has completed 1080 degrees of rotation (note: only three people have ever successfully landed a 1080, and at the time of the game's release no one had ever even done a 900). Even though Pepper is noted in the game to be quite dumb, I find it very hard to believe that he doesn't know how many degrees he has spun, especially if he is an experienced enough skateboarder to do a 1080.

Sorry for the autism guys.
>>
>>3343653
The only thing I could try to help with is "nar nar" being some nineties exaggerated version of gnar, short for gnarly.
>>
>>3343682
Perhaps, but it still really weird. Maybe it is was just Professor Gnar, then it would sound acceptable. "Nar Nar" sounds like the name of a children's show character.
>>
>>3343647
>>3343653
Is this actual autism, or a joke at people who sperg and go nuts over dumb shit?

Everything he's saying is retarded child skateborder from the 90s, doing impossible shit and dumb shit because he's cool. Literally just gibberish that Lego creators wrote on purpose. The "lego humor" is nonsensical, even in the new movie.
>>
File: no fun allowed.jpg (97 KB, 600x634) Image search: [Google]
no fun allowed.jpg
97 KB, 600x634
>>3343749
>>
fair use
>>
>>3343801
No fun?

... What? I don't understand your response. How is it fun to autistically sperg out over a few lines of dialogue specifically designed to be edgy and ridiculous and make no sense?
>>
>>3343827
Legally you can sample a max of 2 bars if you cut the sample up or change it (pitching it up in this case), use a different melody, etc. Not saying it's right, but legally they could say fair use, yeah.

Also obscurity, I highly doubt VH's lawyers are going to notice a fucking Lego game sampling a few seconds and take action.
>>
>>3343867
You have no idea what you're talking about. Sampling without author and publisher permission is ALWAYS illegal.

That being said VH lawyers were not aware of the sample or whoever made this game didn't have enough money to go after.
>>
>>3343827
Lol no.

That is not what fair use is. Lol this game made money, how could fair use be involved?

ITT People who don't know anything about US copyright laws
>>
>>3344067
Fair use doesn't have to be free and just because you're not monetizing something doesn't mean it's fair use. It has to use the borrowed or sampled work in a transformative, educational or satirical way.
>>
>>3344109
Sorry, to be more accurate I should say critical, not satirical. Satire is viewed as a form of criticism though.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.