[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you prefer playing original versions or remakes for classic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: FF_1-jap-MSX-battle.jpg (51 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
FF_1-jap-MSX-battle.jpg
51 KB, 640x480
Do you prefer playing original versions or remakes for classic JRPGs that tend to be unforgiving and slower paced on Famicom? Think Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Megami Tensei, etc.

Using save states and speeding up gameplay on an emulator is cheating.
>>
The original versions for nostalgia which is the only reason to play a /vr/ JRPG anyway.
>>
Original versions for the sake of more fully understanding the game in terms of its place in gaming history.
>>
>>3339520
Specifically, for FF1, I like the PS1 version better. Mainly for the fact that you won't whiff at a target that just died. It might have also fixed all the broken spells and such that just plain didn't work.
>>
>>3339520
I'll pretty much always play the most up-to-date version of the game because I feel that they're generally the game that would have been made if the technology had been available. There's obviously places where I bend this rule, like if a remake/rerelease is particularly derided.
>>
>>3339535
Also for the fact that half the things aren't fucked up and broken. Man, people complain about glitches in games these days but FFI is fucked up and broken.

I still liked it though. FFI 4 lyfe.
>>
>>3339520
It depends on the game. FF3's remake is a different game with different balance that isn't better than the original game, while on the other hand Romancing SaGa's PS2 remake is infinitely better than the original game for many, many reasons.
>>
I play the remakes because they have kanji. I haven't touched certain titles like Herakles because of this.
>>
>>3339520
Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei's first part is much better than Megami Tensei simply because it has an actual save system instead of passwords.
>>
This is your daily reminder that FFV is the best final fantasy.
>>
I played the original NES versions in the 90's, and those are the ones I like.
In general, I don't like remakes, period. I'd rather play the original on one of the platforms it was made for. The next best thing is to emulate it. But I don't play remakes. Rom hacks and stuff like that are the only new things that interest me (besides new games for old platforms).
>>
>>3339527
My feelings exactly. I see no point playing a remake of a game. The remake isn't the game that matters.
>>
Depends on the base game versus the remake. I will probably never play the original Romancing SaGa, and I know it has less mechanics than its remake. Or you get Final Fantasy Origins that has some bug fixes in them which is nice. I enjoy Final Fantasy IV for the DS due to needing to use skills during battles rather than the original which I mostly mashed the A button.

With that said the old games do have their own charm with their graphical style and OST that most of the time remakes cannot capture.
>>
I prefer Final Fantasy Origins to original FF 1 and 2, because combat system isn't very fluid neither fun in originals. Then again I prefer original FF3 because it's remake is shitty-looking 3d port (never even wanted to try it).
>>
>>3340638
Agreed. The only original NES jRPG I prefer to play is FF3. All other games have had decent remakes that bring nice quality of life changes, whereas FF3DS made the game slower and uglier somehow.
>>
>>3339520
yes, remakes dumb everything down
>>
>>3339520
Like >>3339540 and >>3339549 said, I'll play the most up-to-date version available to me, mostly for the bug fixes and additional content.

>>3340380
>>3340638
>>3340659
Just curious, what did you guys think about the PS versions of III and IV?
>>
>>3342293
PSP versions, I mean.
>>
>>3340380
>I mostly mashed the A button.
In FFIV?

Wow, must've taken years to beat the game.
>>
>>3339525
SALTY
A
L
T
Y

Atleast people are still playing and paying for retro Jrpgs.
Nobody is, nor has a reason to touch a retro Wrpg.
>>
I am a grown man who has no time for endless hours of slow grinding. I love remakes, because they make it easier for me to get into the things I love about old games, while fixing a lot of the things I hated.
>>
>>3339520
Depends 9f how shitty the original is and how much better the remake is. Jrpgs are good examples, for DQI and DQII I play the sfc version since the originals are just shittier in every way, however for MOTHER I see people call tbe 25th anniversary the best version while I think it's ugly and preffer the look of the original game.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.