[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck this third stage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 7
File: tenchu-stealth-assassins-usa.jpg (84 KB, 600x594) Image search: [Google]
tenchu-stealth-assassins-usa.jpg
84 KB, 600x594
Fuck this third stage
>>
>>3339356
You just need to get used to it, man.
>>
Which one is three? I got stuck on the one with the bridge. It's either three or four. Then stuff came up in life and I never got back to it.
>>
Normally the game gives you an item if you past the stage in Grand master rank.
Which stage is it? that one where you have to cross an entire village? i don't remember much since it has been ages since i have played this.
>>
I remember most of this game being hard as hell. It's been a long time though, so I don't know if I was just playing poorly or if it really was legitimately difficult.
>>
>>3339356
Good luck on the last three stages brah, Rescue the Captive Ninja is actually piss easy to Grand Master compared to those.
>>
man i cant remember what the 3rd stage is... i need to replay that shee

also, even the bad stages are good to play. tat gme is mster piss
>>
Stage three is the one where the game throws you in the middle of a forest and then into a cave full of insta-death pitfalls wtih guards everywhere
>>
>>3340515
It's only hard the first time. Then you can clear it in minutes. Trial and error.
>>
>>3340529
That's not my experience at all. There's also the fact that they randomize the enemy layout every now and then.
>>
Get Grandmaster on every level and stop bitching, pussy.
>>
IIRC rolling everywhere makes no sound. If you crouch will jumping down you make no sound. Poison riceballs are an easy stealth kill, just get the enemy while he's pathing to go pick it up, plus you don't lose the item. You can break levels by grappling on to trees and shit. I know one of the last stages, the castle, can be skipped by grappling on to the pagoda ledges.

It's really not a hard game compared to 2, and even 2 is pretty mild.
>>
this game is 2 hard for me too
>>
>>3340538
it's not randomised, each stage has three possible enemy layouts
>>
>>3340538
If you're into stealth games then you probably won't mind playing the game more than once. Then it'll get easier. Last time I played it I think I ended it under 40 mins or so.
But if you're not that much into stealth games I can see how you wouldn't feel like playing it again.
>>
>>3340607
That's what I meant.
>>3340580
What games do you consider hard then?
>>
>>3340902
>What games do you consider hard then?
Shmups, fighting games and rts.
>>
>>3339356
I beat the entire game. I don't remember it being too hard. It was fun. You should get good.
>>
What the fuck is this shit. I finally got a good run to the end but then a fucking cheap ass bear wrecks my shit. I'm going to use mines and bombs for them but ffs
>>
>>3340935
Mines are real boss killers, use them. Really most of the items are useful, even shurikens for bouncing off a wall to make a distraction or get cheap hits in on an enemy.
>>
>>3340959
Except for colored rice...Why is that even there when you have a map?
>>
>>3340992
>colored rice
Ha yeah that's a useless tool. It's probably a left-over from when they didn't include a map maybe?
>>
>>3339356

If 3rd is the cave with a fat boss, yes it's annoying. You just need to focus and stay on edge all the time. And don't get hit by the boss.

Just wait till you get to the mountain climbing level, or the giant pagoda. I don't remember which is which but that's where I got stuck back then. Haven't played it since.

This one... 8.

https://youtu.be/HqU9TxLRZKU
>>
>>3340935
Oh come on. Just don't run around and attack like you're crazy. Backstep and wait for the openings. If you're having trouble with the bear Onikage will make you ragequit.

No items, no damage, all grand master. Keep practicing man, you can do this.
>>
Nice night!
>>
>>3340515
The only thing I hate about it is that it's random which of the three enemy layouts you will get, so you can't really practice and memorize the perfect route, or even watch a walkthrough of it, since yours may be different.
>>
>>3340580
Does holding crouch while jumping cancel the landing recovery in this game too?
>>
File: closecall.webm (2 MB, 772x580) Image search: [Google]
closecall.webm
2 MB, 772x580
>>3341495
I think so. Crouching in this game is extremely helpful.
>>
What is it that people prefer on the PS1 games compared to the PS2 ones?
>>
>>3341928
Non-linearity, weird charm, a soul.

Acquire knew what they were doing with Tenchu.
>>
>>3341928
Nostalgia. The PS1 Tenchu games aged like milk.
>>
>>3341932
>non-linearity
Oh yeah, that thing stayed when they did WotS and Shinobido.

I definitely could feel some PS2-era Tenchu stages were just one long corridor.
>>
>>3341936
So, into fine award winning cheese?
>>
>>3341941
>Shinobido
I have to get *TRIGGER WARNING*pcsx2*TRIGGER WARING* up and running to finally play this game. I miss ninja games.
>>
Tenchu 1 was fucking sweet. The controls really surprised me with the amount of depth they had. The sheer amount of moves is pretty impressive, and it makes for some fights that look straight out of a 80s ninja movie.

But fuck, OP, it isn't -too- hard of a game. You should be able to beat any stage with only ~3 tries.
>>
>>3342032
>pcsx2
>not softmodding a PS2
It's okay anon-kun.

Definitely try it out. It has some obvious flaws like finicky/snappy controls, but beside that, it's very fun.
>>
>>3342047
Not the bridge stage. It's really hard. Dem dogs.
>>
>>3340580
The moonsault jump breaks some sections too. I've also seen youtube videos of a double-jump glitch and canceling stealth kill animations.
>>
>>3341928
Nothing really, Tenchu 3 it's basically a great remake of 1 and Fatal Shadows it's probably the best of the series.
>>
>>3341928
Probably nostalgia. But I personally think Tenchu and Tenchu 3 are equally good. But since this is /vr/ I keep the subject on the /vr/ ones since I don't want the police at my door. If not I'd also talk about Shinobido and how amazing it is.
>>
>>3342061
The amount of technology in that game is surprising.
It's a shame characters were as bland as they could get.
>>
Whats your favoritve level?
Whats your favorite part of the game?

My level is the one snowing. dem music.
My part is the underground access in the tower level.
>>
"c'mon! c'mon!"

"kyaaaa!"

"Echigoyia!"

"Looks like you chose the wrong party to crash~"

Classic game.
>>
>>3342047
>and it makes for some fights that look straight out of a 80s ninja movie.
The sound effects too are straight out from the movies of the time, hideous quality included.
>>3342754
>Whats your favoritve level?
Tenchu 1 is probably the Infiltrate the Cult, which is Stage 5 iirc, great music, great map and great mooks.
As for Tenchu 2
Riki: Last Stage in the harbour jumping from ship to ship.
Aya: The pirate island, I think it was Stage 3?
Tatsu:Last Stage and the one when you have to massacre the village, not becasue it's cool, but it's a pretty emotional level.
>Whats your favorite part of the game?
Tenchu 1, I'd say the last two missions, the Demon Castle and the run through the underground cave to get to Mei-Oh are great.

Tenchu 2, the level editor, I don't know how many hours I spent on that shit, it was seriously addictive.
>>
>>3342754
>Whats your favoritve level?
Infiltrate The Manji Cult
>Whats your favorite part of the game?
Climbing the castle Pagoda in level 9.
>>
>>3342754
Favorite level is either Snow or infiltrating those Spanish ships at port.
Favorite part? Trying to get across that check point with the brother and sister Yari fighters.

Tenchu as a whole was so cash, still play it on occasion.
>>
So i finally beat it on Grand Master....and then the game got stuck on the loading screen.

Just kill me.
>>
>>3342768
Is that where you face the guy on the rooftop? I did an upward slice and sent him right over the edge one time. Went after him for a proper fight. I obviously still remember it to this day.
>>
ECHIGOYIA, WHERE HAVE YOU HIDDEN?
>>
>>3342956
Yeah. That's one thing I love about Tenchu, fucking wish bosses.
>>
>>3340515
Why are pitfalls now something that people piss and moan about? I don't get it.
Call me old, but back in the day, we tried things like avoiding or jumping over pits. You know, rather than run into them blindly and then bitch because it's "insta death" and etc. You fell in a fucking pit. OF COURSE YOUR GUY IS GONNA DIE! It's a fucking videogame for fuck sakes...

Anyway, the best way to get through the third stage is to use the map to find the cave, pay attention to your "people can see me" meter and use it to avoid contact with anyone. Stealth killing all the guys in the caves is easy, so I'm not holding your hand there. The boss (Gu, I think) sometimes has a bear with him. Well you can lure the bear out into the hall and kill it before the actual boss battle begins, and since it's part of the boss fight, it doesn't count against your rank that it saw you.
Gu himself is a slow plodding retard. So get to his side or behind him, and stun lock him until he's dead. Not hard at all, really.

Things to remember is that using items in a stage counts against your rank, and you want the Grand Master rank to get better items. Also remember that you can hold down to block anything but bombs and firearms, Even animal attacks can be blocked, and there's no block damage.

Really, it's a pretty easy game unless you make it hard yourself. Just fighting your way through stages, or just running away will get you through the whole things. It's staying hidden that makes it hard, but the rewards are worth it. People who think the game is hard just need practice.

Practice by just running through the game and not caring about rank the first time, then going back to grand master every level AFTER you learn your shit.
>>
>>3343196
I don't "bitch" about them. It's just that the trap ones (covered by wood) killed me the first time and jumping from the stone bridge to the right gate is easy to fuck up.
>>
>>3343196
>Why are pitfalls now something that people piss and moan about? I don't get it.

Because the play control in an early 3D PSX game isn't as precise as it is in a 2D platformer. It's a whole lot easier to creep up to a pit and accidentally fall in when you add a third dimension, especially if the controls are clumsy.
>>
>>3342754

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5F3YXgdrGQ
>>
>>3342750
I'd like to make a joke about how Shinobido is /vr/ because the graphics make it look like a PS1 game...
But, eh.
>>
https://youtu.be/uSY_SVd865Y
Debug mode put to good use
>>
File: 1399374085203.gif (3 MB, 257x212) Image search: [Google]
1399374085203.gif
3 MB, 257x212
>Be 13
>Playing Tenchu 2
>Get the Suzaku ending
>wot
>Burning ship
>Wait, I recognize that melody
>Suzaku was actually Onikage
>mfw

The hype was real back then, it helps that they changed they voice actor in our dub so I couldn't have figured it out.
>>
>>3343873
It'd be a bad joke as it wouldn't make much sense.
But sure, if you think PS2 and PS games have the same graphics, nothing can be done to help that.
>>
File: 7992_front[1].jpg (91 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
7992_front[1].jpg
91 KB, 640x640
How about shinobi hyakusen, have you guys finished it?
https://youtu.be/AYqCEyMWxRw
>>
>>3344810
It's just that PS2 Shinobido (not sure about Vita, never played it) has some pretty jaggy graphics.

>>3344813
Not yet. It reminds me that Shinobido has a game like this as well, Shinobido: Takumi. It really shows they're from the same developers.
>>
>>3344813
I didn't even know that existed.
>>
>>3344813
I haven't even finished Shinobi Gaisen yet
>>
>>3340580
>IIRC rolling everywhere makes no sound. If you crouch will jumping down you make no sound
Movement doesn't make sound in Tenchu 1 anyway... neither does landing or swinging your weapon. The only things that make noise off the top of my head is killing guards, splashing in water, and items like shurikens and grenades.
>>
>>3343196
>Things to remember is that using items in a stage counts against your rank
Not true at all in Tenchu 1. The only thing you get points/penalties for are kills and detection.
>>
>>3348685
Using special items lowers your rank I think. Or is that in 2?
>>
>>3349320
It's definitely not in 1, and I remember the scoring in 2 being more complicated so it's probably a 2 thing.
>>
>>3339356
I friggin' loved this game man.
>>
I'd post some no damage playthroughs I did but I did them on an emulator for the sake of recording and just saying the word "emulator" is enough to anger a lot of people on /vr/.
>>
>>3351663
It only triggers Mike and Bootsy. I'd venture to say 95% of /vr/ uses emus.
>>
Ay I know it aint retro but did they ever release any games like Tenchu Z. I liked the whole create your own ninja and the abilities.
>>
>>3353332
No.
The franchise became bigger than Acquire could predict so it was basically taken from their hands little by little. By the time Tenchu Z and the Wii Tenchu games came out, Acquire had already moved on to another franchise to try and make a new Tenchu.
Didn't work very well, even though it's a good game.
>>
>>3353558
Wii Tenchu (Tenchu 4) was the return of Acquire as a developer of the series.
K2 Tenchu are still pretty good though.
>>
>>3353610
Really? Makes me wonder why it's so awful when the Shinobido series was being released at almost the same time.
>>
>>3353626
Because Wiiiiiiiiiiiiii
>>
OP there's an enhanced version that was released only in JP. Get it.

>>3340580
>I know one of the last stages, the castle, can be skipped by grappling on to the pagoda ledges.

I figured this out as a kid. It's a bit tricky too.
>>
File: latest.jpg (17 KB, 356x500) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
17 KB, 356x500
Only played Tenchu 1 and 2, I found the first one to be much memorable than the second game, I was also kind of disappointed by the lack of music in 2, Tenchu 1 has a great soundtrack.

>>3342756
>WHAT
>>
>>3354354
You should play 3, it's the second best Tenchu game.

I remember enjoying Tenchu 2 but also thinking "urgh, why is everything so bright and colorful?"
How about that. Today it's the opposite.
>>
File: my_first_deviation___ayame_san.jpg (50 KB, 529x451) Image search: [Google]
my_first_deviation___ayame_san.jpg
50 KB, 529x451
I've only recently played a bit of the original Tenchu but I extensivly played. However the first level that I played was real nice and I tought look of the game and characters is a lot cooler. I guess because they remind me of Tenchu WoH

Tenchu II for moths. It was the only game I had so upon finishing the story mode on all tree characters.
Also put to many hours in the custom level designer.
Would fill it up with impossible scenarios filled with traps and enemys on constant patrol and bosses everyhere.
I finshed Tenchu WoH but only in Rikimarus side, have yet to finish Ayame's and the other extra character.
>>
Games That Aged Badly General
>>
>>3342032
That's not hard. I did it just a few weeks ago because I finally wanted to finish Dark Cloud 2.

I wouldn't recommend playing Tenchu on a keyboard, though. That was about as fun as trying to do the same with Star Fox.
>>
Spiritual sequel when? Ninja simulator that isn't naruto would be fucking nice, Japan.
>>
>>3358303
>Games That Aged Badly
I wish that meme died already.
>>
>>3358353
Never.

Because stealth games are ded.
>>
>>3358353
Spiritual Sequel is Shinobido.
Made by the same guys who created tenchu, but less charismatic, even though it's filled with stuff that would make a "technology" thread fill quickly.
It has 3 games so far, I believe.
>>
>>3361982

Problem it's Shinobido series seems to be dead too.
>>
>>3362035
Well... Seeing as how things have been going lately, I think we'll be seeing a new Tenchu game sometime in the future. Maybe two years or so, in the vibe of "That game that came back from the dead" that has been going on a lot lately.
>>
>>3362037
Tenchu and Shinobido games were always destroyed by critics and don't sold that much, i'm not sure we're gonna see anything new in the next years.
>>
>>3362057
I dunno. People have been lately on the rise of profiting with the whole rebooting or bringing something back from the dead.
I think it might happen to Tenchu in the future, but I'm not sure it'll be a good thing.
If they re-mastered Tenchu for the PS3 or PS4 it would be amazing IMO.
>>
https://youtu.be/N7zYdANxOUw
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.