[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best way to play Chrono Trigger currently? SNES,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: unnamed.png (333 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
333 KB, 960x640
What's the best way to play Chrono Trigger currently?

SNES, PSX, NDS, Android... I don't care which just as long as it's the most definitive version with the most content/best translation etc.
>>
I have the PSX version, which is pretty great save for some load times. If load times piss you off, I'd probably go SNES/Android/iOS/emulation.
>>
>>3338946
NDS
>>
>best translation
No translation is best translation.
>>
>NDS

Tiny screen, Butchered music, better translation, but text is fucking annoyingly small and hard to read.

>PSX

Literally the fucking worst version conceivable. Abysmal load times, and muffled music.

>SNES

Best version by far, but most expensive by far.

Just fucking emulate it you faggot
>>
I heard the Android version has always on DRM and is broken on modern devices so avoid that. NDS has the bonus features of the Playstation version while also having two new dungeons and a superboss. As for the Playstation port, I heard about the loading times but does PS2's fast disc read option get rid of it?
>>
>>3339032
DNS also has the advantage of being able to sleep the game anytime you want.

But, obviously any emulator has this advantage, too.
>>
NDS is pretty good, has the videos from the PSX version, no load times and some new dungeons but but I'm just not big on playing RPGs on a portable (squinting to read the fucking text for one thing) so SNES is by far the best. Translation isn't a big deal on any of the systems, Frog speaks in Ye Olde English on the SNES if that triggers you or whatever.
>>
>>3339032
>Tiny screen
You play it close to your eyes so it's essentially the same thing. You also have the convenience of playing it anywhere.
>>
>>3339070
does the Android port have the extra dungeons too?
>>
psx is too slow, there's a noticeable silent delay between entering a battle and the battle actually starting which gets old immediately. really carelessly done port

ds is better and has some new features. the music room is a nice option. I didn't care for the font and while the dialogue was edited more professionally I think it lost some charm somehow (???)

emulate it or get the ds version
>>
We just had this discussion.
DS is actually the best version. Trust a guy who owns every version.
>>
DS easily
>>
Depends on your opinion between completeness or original experience and portability or playing with a TV.
>>
File: 1410902791197.png (135 KB, 510x546) Image search: [Google]
1410902791197.png
135 KB, 510x546
>>3338958
>Android/iOS
>>
File: medium_troy_mcclure.jpg (92 KB, 360x311) Image search: [Google]
medium_troy_mcclure.jpg
92 KB, 360x311
>>3338946
The DS version is great due to its accessibility. Plus it includes the animated cutscenes which are pretty cool IMO, as well as some bonus content in the post-game (which is pretty weak as far as content goes, but it's optional, so who gives a fuck). The sound/music suffers a bit though, by virtue of being on a decade-old portable system, but it's not quite the deal breaker most dramatic puritans would have you believe. It also has to crop the screen a bit, but on the plus side, the combat menus are all on a separate screen, so you always get a full view of the board during combat, which is pretty cool.

The SNES version is my favorite, but expensive as far as carts go. Also the DS has a technically "better" translation, though the SNES version is still great.

The PSX version includes the animated cutscenes, but has awful load times and no bonus content. The problem Square had with ports from the SNES->PSX is the games were never optimized to handle loading data from disc. It uses pretty much the same logic as the SNES version, so where it would load sound effects or whatever from a solid-state cartridge, it now has to load that same data from a CD. As a result, every time you encounter an enemy, you run into load times. Every time you use a skill, open the menu, etc etc. you hit load times. In short, avoid this version. I mean, if it's the only version available to you, it's OK because it's Chrono Trigger still, but it's the worst version.

I own the PSX/DS/SNES versions myself. I can't speak to know about the mobile port.
>>
>>3339190
Yes and all the extra items the DS version added as well. I beat both the SNES and Android version. Cant beat original hardware but for an Android game they actually did Chrono Trigger justice. I usually hate Android ports but they literally couldn't have done it better. So whatever is most convenient for you.
>>
>>3339032
Get glasses and a hearing aid.
>>
>>3339340
>which is pretty weak as far as content goes
UP THE MOUNTAIN DOWN THE MOUNTAIN UP THE MOUNTAIN DOWN THE MOUNTAIN UP THE MOUNTAIN DOWN THE MOUNTAIN UP THE MOUNTAIN DOWN THE MOUNTAIN UP THE MOUNTAIN DOWN THE MOUNTAIN UP THE MOUNTAIN DOWN THE MOUNTAIN UP THE MOUNTAIN DOWN THE MOUNTAIN UP THE MOUNTAIN DOWN THE MOUNTAIN "This is not tasty fruit"
>>
>>3339340
Did you have to use Troy McClure?
I can't help but think you're trying to trick me
>>
Chrono Trigger with the Coliseum rom hack
>>
>>3339373
The Lost Sanctum was total ass, especially since that Nu was a "lol counter everything" boss.

The Dimensional Vortices were alright though. They at least made an effort to tie into Cross.
>>
>>3339340
This guy gets it. To fill in about mobile: it's a much older mobile port that uses the DS translation but absolutely none of the extras, and is buggy as fuck with Square-Enix not giving many cares. I'd rank this as lower than PSX.

>>3339373
>>3342013
I liked the monster raising coliseum minigame. That's really about it.
>>
File: IMG_1653.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1653.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>3338946
Oh look… It's this thread again. Luckily i've already taken a pic for this.
>>
>>3342038
That doesn't look like a DS anon.
>>
SNES version on an emulator.
>>
>>3342038
Silly Toriyama, no one in that party has fire magic.
>>
>I want the Woolsey translation
SNES
>I want an arguably better translation and animated cutscenes
DS
>I want the Woolsey translation and animated cutscenes
PS1 but prepare for load times
>I'm a massive faggot and enjoy slurping on cocks
Android/iOS
>>
DS
>>
>>3339061
You probably don't want your DNS to ever sleep. It will cause problems resolving your host names.
I don't see how sleeping is really an issue unless you're playing on a portable device. If you're playing on a console just put the controller aside and go do something else if you're too lazy to save.
SNES is my first choice. First because its the best. Second because I can play on the console when I want and emulate on my handheld when I'm on the go. The DS version would be a fair compromise if that's all you had. Emulated on a new LL/XL would be much better though.

>>3339161
>ITT: spawn of bad parenting skills never learned to not sit too close to the screen
>>
>>3339032
why not just emulate the NDS version at this point.
>>
File: fingerless-gloves-fedora.png (117 KB, 320x263) Image search: [Google]
fingerless-gloves-fedora.png
117 KB, 320x263
>>3342189
>>I want an arguably better translation
>>
>>3338946
Turning off the SNES and tossing the cartridge out the window and sticking in something that isn't bad.
>>
I get flack for it but ps version is my favorite, ps2 with disk speed up makes load times not so bad. it's just as slow as ps1 on the 3 though.
>>
SNES has the best localization and audio quality, as well as no crappy load times.
PS1 has the same script as the SNES version, and some tacked-on FMVs if you're into that, but some godawful constant loading times, and slightly worse audio. (This is true, look it up.)
The DS version has a good bit of bonus content, and the FMVs from the PS1 version, but a more accurate (and also more boring) script. The audio quality is noticeably worse than the PS1 version. I also don't like that some of the added stuff connects it to Chrono Cross, because that game should be considered an "alternate timeline" type of deal, and its plot shouldn't be referenced in Chrono Trigger itself. (It's worth noting that the PS1 release also adds an FMV relating it to Chrono Cross, which the DS version includes.)
>>
Objectively the DS version. It's the most widely-available version, has the best translation, has post-game content found nowhere else (even if it isn't good), and has the extras of the PS1 version without the load times.
>>
>>3342512
As a lover of both Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, I consider that extra content/forced connection in Trigger DS to Cross to be a George Lucasian insult
>>
>triggerniggers
>>
>>3339368
Wait what? Last I checked CT was in the same boat as FF1 on Android, where they removed shit due to old mobile size limitations.

Did they change this recently?
>>
>>3342512
>because that game should be considered an "alternate timeline" type of deal, and its plot shouldn't be referenced in Chrono Trigger itself.
This actually has a point. The argument of "Cross is bad" doesn't really apply here, the fact is that the events in Trigger split the timeline, and Cross happened in a parallel dimension to Trigger. The reference ending takes place outside of time like the final Cross battle and could be explained by "lol time fuckery" like all the other endings, but I still get the feeling that it shouldn't be happening.

>>3342603
TOSE did similar to FFs IV-VI on postgame, but they all resulted in fun little things we never got to see that fit in with the game. The omitted Kaiser Dragon, alternate Zeromus from easy mode, and Enuo redone by the same artist (at least IIRC). Given what I said before, would I call it a George Lucas-style thing? Nah, not really. It's more of an added snip a the end of the credits. It's an ending that takes more effort to get to than the others. Way lesser in quality than the ones I've said before and questionable need, yeah, but it doesn't effect the main plot in any way.

But what the fuck ever, we're going way too deep into this for an optional ending to CT. We're not talking War and Peace.
>>
>>3342606
This
>muh greatest game of all time
Fuck off
>>
>>3338946
with your hands
>>
>>3338946
Every answer you could ever want:

>Fuck you, just tell me which one to play.
DS.

>I want to play the original with all the fixings
DS, it has the PS1 FMVs with none of the PS1 specific problems.

>I want the version everyone's gushing about in those top 10 lists
Judging from the post here, SNES is the nostalgia version. Both translations are good, but most point to SNES for the childhood charm.

>I want the above with the FMVs
PS1, but I hope you enjoy slowdown.

>I'm planning on playing the other games related to Trigger
SNES. It makes more sense why they would put those accents into Cross that way, and it doesn't leave you wondering what the fuck just happened. You can play the sequel without playing this one though.

DS has a tie-in ending, but it doesn't really involve the main plots of anything involved. Also it sucks and everyone is triggered by it for some unknown reason.

>I'm on a phone
I'd still say emulate either one on your device. Mobile version isn't the worst thing Square's put out, but it's pretty high up there. Lots of reports of fucking up when you need to actually do something that isn't playing the game. Also they took forever to actually make it work on your phone. Price point isn't worth it.

>What about those fancy retranslations?
Doctor L's is the best one, but if you're really curious wait up until a second playthrough.

Patch you might want, it fixes grammar and spelling screwups in SNES and nothing else: http://www.romhacking.net/reviews/2258
>>
Mountains're nice.
>>
>>3342454
because SNES emulation is much easier and probably better for larger screens
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.