[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So did nothing decent come out of this? Did SSF used it as a base?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: ss+(2016-07-05+at+03.52.20).jpg (222 KB, 698x826) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-05+at+03.52.20).jpg
222 KB, 698x826
So did nothing decent come out of this?
Did SSF used it as a base?
>>
>>3338521
Cassini was the cracked version of GiriGiri, was a good emu at the time, lot of forums at the time had forbidden discussion of it. Did they steal the code or just reverse engineer it?
>>
>>3338521
Whoa! Is this real?
>>
I'm pretty sure SSF predates the whole CyberDisc affair, so probably not?
SSF's developer seems fairly secretive, but he did used to work in game development, and I've heard people suggest (with little else besides his background as evidence) that he may have used some non-public information that he gained from that position to help develop SSF, but I think that's mostly just conjecture.
>>
>>3338521
It would do innacurate stuff like converting the quads to polys for hardware rendering, while SSF uses software rendering for max accuracy. Probably not very useful.
>>
I do wish Sega would release a Saturn and Dreamcast emulator on Steam similar to their Genesis emulator. They got a lot of positive press for releasing all their first party Genesis games on PC, no reason not to do the same for their other consoles unless it would take too much time or effort.
>>
>>3338667
I mean technically just looking at the amount of Mega Drive emulators over the years one could easily assume it's fairly easy to chum out a half decent Mega Drive emulator. While Saturn and DC it ain't that simple. And I mean really with DC they're probably better off porting the games (which they did for a lot of them), considering the architecture being so similar to the PC, running Windows CE and whatnot.
>>
>>3338683
I hope they release Shenmue and Shenmue II on Steam before III comes out.
>>
>>3338557

There's almost no way Shima didn't have insider access/info, just look at the state of every other Saturn emulator. SSF isn't perfect but the others aren't even CLOSE to catching up, even this many years later.
>>
>>3338683
>so similar to the PC, running Windows CE and whatnot.
WUT
humm, this might be a retarded question, but

wouldnt that mean that a nokia smartphone is similar to an ibm pc because there is a windows for nokia phones?

by which i sarcastically mean, does that even mean anything?

couldnt MS just make an OS to run on playstation 2, and on the programs side having API functionality like an windows CE running on ARM architechture, and then call this SNES OS "windows CE for snes" ?
>>
>>3339274
I'm not saying that having Windows CE makes it so that it has a more compatible architecture, I'm saying that Microsoft being able to port Windows CE (and let's not forget DirectX) so effortlessly to the Dreamcast is a testament of how similar the architecture was.

Even today you see some smaller devs porting their PC games to the dreamcast. Just a few months ago some guy hacked Volgarr The Viking to be able to run on the DC.
>>
>>3338683
you realize a company has access to its own documents on its own hardware, right?
>>
>>3339354
Yeah sure like the they have access to all the original code from the original games right. Don't underestimate the bureaucracy inside a multinational company, you can't really access internal data that easily. They could have access to internal data and yet that didn't stop them from making a terrible Mega Drive emulator in Sonic Mega Collection. Besides, that sort of shit is usually handed off to third parties, it's not like they get their most brilliant company minds working on an emulator, so as such they're probably not getting much of access.
And still even with internal documents the Saturn is a fucking mess of a hardware, I doubt they could effortlessly emulate it, otherwise they wouldn't have bought the rights to GiriGiri to being with.
>>
>>3339354
Japanese video game devs don't: within a generation or two, they chuck source code and other valuable things for who knows what reason. It's just the way they do things.
>>
>>3338521
>>3338549

No it's not real. This is just Naka showing off the PC port of NiGHTS. JP only.
>>
File: ss+(2016-07-06+at+10.08.23).png (54 KB, 320x1003) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-06+at+10.08.23).png
54 KB, 320x1003
>>3340419
>the PC port of NiGHTS. JP only.
Sure Anon, sure.
>>
>>3339343
That's because there's an SDL port for Dreamcast already, so if you write a game using SDL for video/audio/input, you're like 3/4 of the way there for a DC port.
>>
>>3338521
SSF predates it by years.

That thing in the pic was Girigiri, and Sega used them as a download service for games in the mid 00s.

>>3338548
>Cassini was the cracked version of GiriGiri, was a good emu at the time, lot of forums at the time had forbidden discussion of it. Did they steal the code or just reverse engineer it?

Cassini was literally a resource editor hack of Girigiri, created by a bunch of liars. The only reason they could "improve" compatibility was because Girigiri had a ridiculous amount of per-game hacks you could apply through an INI file. But if you took the ini hacks that Cassini used and loaded it to Girigiri, it got the same compatibility.

And even girigiri was an awful emulator that only did the pure basics of the Saturn. Any game using anything slightly advanced was completely broken.

>>3338683
Saturn emulators are not done because they have a metric fuckton of hardware features you need to implement, before you even start thinking about timing and how these features can be used on top of each other. Simply implementing every video and audio feature takes a year, even if you don't bother figuring out what order you implement everything.
The sad thing is that even that would be enough to run 90% of Saturn games decently, since the hardware was so underused.

DC is more complicated, it has a MMU and the video hardware is a modern GPU but with extra features that no modern hardware can do natively. So you need a workarounds and workarounds and workarounds.
>>
>>3338949
>There's almost no way Shima didn't have insider access/info, just look at the state of every other Saturn emulator.

Shima has no insider info. He's just your standard autistic Japanese who puts 120% effort in every job.

Meanwhile if you ask any of the yabause devs about adding some feature, they reply with "I'm doing this in my free time between a job/kids/etc, and yabause already emulates so many things! Stop asking for stuff.".

Personally, I'm waiting for Steve Snake to finally do a Saturn emulator. That would kick everyone in the balls HARD.
>>
>>3339343
It's easy to port Win CE since it was a low end smartphone OS. It became Windows Phone after version 5 or 6.

The only reason it got ported to the Dreamcast (and it was COMPLETELY OPTIONAL for devs to use it - most did not), was because Microsoft was looking for a foothold on the console market. They were learning the ropes while providing Sega with a bunch of stuff worth nothing. All of this was done in pre-planning the Xbox.
>>
>>3339354
>you realize a company has access to its own documents on its own hardware, right?

They won't give those out to a bunch of hired interns who have to crank out a working Megadrive emulator in 3 months. Funny anecdote: Sega approached Steve Snake (the only person to write a good Sega emulator at the time in 99), to get him to do a Megadrive emulator on the Dreamcast. Steve did not agree because they give him an unreally low deadline. They later got some intern to do it, and the guy specifically left an ECHELON.TXT file on the game disc, as instruction on how to get the thing to load other ROMs, because he knew that it'll get pirated like that.

>>3339382
>They could have access to internal data and yet that didn't stop them from making a terrible Mega Drive emulator in Sonic Mega Collection.

That one literally used Gens as I recall. The old, non-forked versions. This was back when Gens did not even work on a 32bit desktop, only on a 16-bit one.

Funnier is that they did not put Sonic CD inside that thing because they couldn't figure out how to use their ADX tech for the audio tracks. Not before the deadlines hit anyway. There are early builds shown that have a slot for Sonic CD in the game selection.

>>3340425
That PC port was from 2003 using a poor emulator. The real port was done a decade later and based on the PS2 version.
>>
File: _.gif (501 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
_.gif
501 KB, 500x375
>>3341310
>That thing in the pic was Girigiri, and Sega used them as a download service for games in the mid 00s.

Gee Anon you don't say, it's not like it's the subject of the thread
>>
>>3338683
>the architecture being so similar to the PC, running Windows CE
dumb.as.fuck

>>3339354
Hes doesn't. He's retarded. And now making up all sorts of bullshit excuses to hide that.

>>3339382
You don't know what you're talking about kid. I appreciate you have a lot of experience working for a multinational company and are buttmad they won't give you the recipe for the secret sauce they put on Big Macs. But applying that logic to what happens in the real world with game companys is beyond wrong and retarded.
>>
>>3341974
Yes sega has been proven to be great at archiving throughout all their american, european and japanese branches

https://www.google.com/search?q=sega+lost+source+code

I like how you're making literally no points and just saying "no ur dumb"
You might even have a point, I don't know, I'm not an ideologue, I can admit I'm wrong if you have a good argument to refute, but you're giving me nothing to work with here, at least try to engage.
Either way I was just speculating from the little facts we have to work with, none of us really know how sega really operates internally.
>>
>>3341993
>doesn't address his foolish bullshit and tries something else.
So piece of Saturn hardware did they loose the source code for? The CPU, GPU, what?

There's nothing to give you to "work with". Your experience with trade secrets such as mac sauce have no relation to, give you no insight to, and certainly don't make you an expert on, what multinational companies do with the IP they value so much they keep locked away from all but the most privileged and loyal long time employees, err, no they loose it, er no, let me think of something else.
>>
>>3341326
>was because Microsoft was looking for a foothold on the console market. They were learning the ropes while providing Sega with a bunch of stuff worth nothing. All of this was done in pre-planning the Xbox.
It should be noted that Microsoft wasn't looking for a foothold in the console market because they wanted to be there, they were looking for a foothold because the PlayStation was taking games away from Windows.
>>
>>3338949
Yabause is that bad?
>>
>>3342583
Anon don't be thick, it's speculation based on anecdotes that SEGA loses shit all the time, it isn't proof, I'm not presenting a concrete reality, just a supposition to try and explain their current affairs. This shouldn't be hard to understand.
I already gave you a bunch of stories of sega losing the source code for games. Do you want more anecdotes, here's another one:
http://kotaku.com/5037342/sega-find-room-containing-every-sega-game-ever-made

>in before kotaku

There's been multiple stories of this over the years, sega mismanaging inventory and losing stuff all the time.

Again, you're free to present your own counter theory, I'm not against a different scenario, but if you're just gonna continue to bait while having nothing else to offer I'm gonna have to eject you gigantic penis muncher.
>>
>>3342720
If you check that pic, you'll see that most of those games are originals, or even silvers (review copies of final games).

They are NOT source code.

On that note, they do still have the original Megadrive hardware docs, there was a picture of it online a few years ago for a megadrive book.
>>
>>3342720
I don't really care about more anecdotes to support your latest story. The fact that you have to keep changing your story is evidence enough you don't know what you're talking about. Your original story was that they keep the information so safe and secure they wouldn't give it to people who weren't highly trusted to allow them to make an emulator. Now your story is that they keep the information so safe and secure that they loose it. And you support that with anecdotes of them not loosing any saturn hardware documentation.
My counter theory is that you're just a kid bullshitting on the Internet. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>3342752
Yes I know, I'm just saying that another example of some lost room they found.
Even recently they also found a bunch a of saturn disks with prototypes, can't find the article now though. All I'm really saying is that sega has a disproportionate amount of examples of lost shit.
The most infamous example is losing the source code for Panzer Dragoon Saga.

>>3342759
> The fact that you have to keep changing your story is evidence enough you don't know what you're talking about.
How did I change my story?
>"Yeah sure like the they have access to all the original code from the original games right"
That's literally how I open my post on it.
I'm done with you Anon, learn how to read you anal friction enthusiast.

Now how about that GiriGiri discussion
>>
>>3342763
>That's literally how I open my post
And then you proceed to bullshit about your expertise on "a multinational company"
And then I pointed out you're a silly kid who's experience with multinational companies begins and end and McDs
You just don't know what you're talking about. All your wild theories are based on nothing. Well, maybe the retarded rantings of some other kid on the internet or the voices in your head. You're literally pulling this shit out of your ass. Your logic is flawed, your information wrong, and your conclusions bordering on mentally deranged.
>I'm done with you Anon
I'll believe it when I see it. And we'll all thank god.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.