[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/stg/ strategy general - No shoo ting allowed edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: fantasy-general-ss4.gif (120 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
fantasy-general-ss4.gif
120 KB, 640x480
what awesome armies are you commanding anons?
I've been playing fantasy general, bretty gud.
>>
Been playing some OpenRA, look into it if you're a fan of the classic Westwood RTS's.
>>
Why is turn based so much better than rts
>>
>>3338625
Rewards quality of decision making instead of speed of execution.
>>
>>3338625
It isn't. Do you take turns in real war?
>>
>>3338628
>speed of execution.

myth

thsoe 200 actions clicks something, that measurement unit they use is nothing more than the autists with parkinson syndrome on the middle finger

still, the number of actual commands is high, but only so much more above a novice that spend the vacation playing that game, when you think of it as being 2~3 commands per second might seem much, human reaction time is from 1/6 to 1/3 seconds, but "muscular memory" of pressing keyboard hotkeys in sequences that would result in a hudreds of different consequences just comes with time spent playing, the difference between the hardcore and the dedicated player is small, the devil is in the details

besides, you have RTS like total anihilation with its highly costumizable automation of commands

in RTS battles there may be situations where a godlike hand coordination makes all the difference, and sometimes the AI in aoe2/sc2 for instance makes use of it and its near impossible for a human to match.

shit like plumed archer vs frank paladins (aoe) and zerglings vx tank (sc), where a correctly programmed AI or a player pause scumming (agasint AI) can equalise loss when otherwise it would be a massacre.

but that's not what RTS is about, and the most fun is when youre dedicating a couple hours in it for the past couple weeks and playing other dedicated players.

its all about the hesitation and mistakes you make in the heat of battle.

a handful of virtual acquaintances arranging to spend the next few days regularly playing is the best experience you can have.

and the most boring you can have is playing casually against a stranger where you both keep trying to over boom each other just for the match to end in a boring set of massive battls

>>3339763
>Do you take turns in real war?
you do not, however things happen in real life time instead of real ly accelerated time

you still have several minutes to reach to a fleet of air planes headed towards your frigate formation with an ETA of 60min
>>
Are there any computer games similar to shining force. I really like shining force but playing strategy games with a controller is gay
>>
>>3341325
X-COM
>>
>>3341343
own that one already, thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>3341325
Fallout Tactics is alright, and a lot of PC RPGs have battles where units can move: Ultima, SSI Gold Box games, Darklands, Betrayal at Krondor...

There are tons of them for the PC-98 or Japanese Windows, like Farland Story that has been translated to English.

Finally, Chinese seem to love Shining Force, judging from games like Flame Dragon Knights or Empire of the Angel.
>>
>>3341325

Jagged Alliance 2
Incubation: Time Is Running Out
Battle for Wesnoth
>>
Has anyone here played Machiavelli the Prince on DOS? Can anyone speak for its quality?
>>
when I was a kid I sometimes played Panzer General 2 and Fantasy General but I never got far as I was too retarded.
Recently I got a bit into strategy games and 4X games again and I remembered them but I understand the difficulty is really high and seeing pics triggers me posttraumatically.

Should I give them another try or are they really *that* hard?
>>
>>3341325
>shining force

I hope that one day they'll rerelease all SHF3 scenarios completely translated on steam

a man can dream
>>
>>3343840
They have difficulty settings.
>>
>>3343840
I found fantasy general really easy to learn. Just read the manual too it will explain things that arent made that obvious like cavalry rek in an open field but suck at raiding cities
>>
>>3342894
Last time I played it was like... what, ten years ago? I found it fun but it probably isn't going to be super challenging if you're some kind of Strategy Game veteran.
>>
>>3342894
I had a lot of fun with it, it's not super deep or complicated: it's fun if you like trading simulators though, I liked it much more than the Patrician.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.